Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What is belief (1 Viewer)

knottla

What is belief,
you can't touch it,
you can't see it
and you can't feel it.
Not in a normal way

Yet you can feel it inside yourself.
Especially in times of need,
now these occasions are many.

When you've experienced
a near death episode.
You realise there is a
belief to carry you through
that trauma of not
even surviving your operation.

Yes my belief is stronger
because there was definitely
someone or something
guiding me through
at a critical time
in my life.

God does listen to
your impassioned pleas,

So try to believe and
it will ease away your pain,
and cast away all doubts.
Well that's what I believe.

Last edited:

2020Syd2020

Hello,

Belief is a difficult concept to write about, it’s not tangible as your point out in your own words, but at the same time it is something you can feel. This is what makes it a difficult to write about, how can you effectively evoke if you cannot give examples.

Where I think this piece could be improved is firstly in its structure, currently it feels more like a block. It would benefit greatly from being broken up, shorter lines and stanzas would greatly help with the flow and the impact of the piece.

Secondly, I feel like you are telling rather than showing, and I feel that if you where to emote more. By that I mean show me what the author’s belief stems from as a reader I would buy into it more.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Syd

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Hello,

Belief is a difficult concept to write about, it’s not tangible as your point out in your own words, but at the same time it is something you can feel. This is what makes it a difficult to write about, how can you effectively evoke if you cannot give examples.

Where I think this piece could be improved is firstly in its structure, currently it feels more like a block. It would benefit greatly from being broken up, shorter lines and stanzas would greatly help with the flow and the impact of the piece.

Secondly, I feel like you are telling rather than showing, and I feel that if you where to emote more. By that I mean show me what the author’s belief stems from as a reader I would buy into it more.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Syd

I agree with Syd... maybe you could compare your "belief" to something... for example, a compass that guides you through the unknown, dark times...