Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What if Christ didn't come to earth until today? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr. Malone

The novel is "Eli"? And the premise is the topic about Jesus?
Sounds interesting...I'll google it.

D

Dr. Malone

Well, literally if Jesus came back...the government would burn him to death at Waco.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Well, literally if Jesus came back...the government would burn him to death at Waco.

And rightly so.

Either that or he'd end up on an obscure evangelical cable channel in a white suit, exhorting the masses to buy salvation with sizeable cash gifts.

Seriously, though, nobody would take any notice (apart from the wierdos, who'll follow anyone), we're too cynical. Walk on water? Big deal, David Copperfield can do that, and better. Cure the sick? So what, the world's full of psychic healers. Get nailed to a cross? David Blaine will probably top that.

To get anyone's attention these days he'd have to present the sermon on the mount as a powerpoint presentation, or post it on youtube.

D

Dr. Malone

Southpark actually did an episode on how un-impressive Jesus would be if he were around today. They used David Blaine as an example of how "blah" Jesus' "miracles" were.
We're off topic now...and I still haven't googled the aforementioned book...

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's categorized as Christian/Religious. That automatically turns me off...

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt3483

Jesus never came to earth. He doesn't exist. So it would be exactly the same as it is now. I assume, therefore, that it's just a factual history book?

D

Dr. Malone

Jesus was just a man, nothing more, nothing miraculous, but it's pretty much accepted historical evidence that he did exist...

Matt3483

I should have clarified. Jesus as Christians render him did not exist. There is overwhelming evidence that a man named Jesus did exist--I realise that. I exist too, but you don't see many people praying to me as the son of 'God'.

deviger

I should have clarified. Jesus as Christians render him did not exist. There is overwhelming evidence that a man named Jesus did exist--I realise that. I exist too, but you don't see many people praying to me as the son of 'God'.

Ah, but if you went around claiming you were the son of God some people might start worshiping you.

Faustling

While I agree that Jesus hardly was the son of God or anything else in that direction I doubt that "it would be exactly the same as it is now" since he, y'know, founded an enormous religion that has effected the world since then.

D

duck

While I agree that Jesus hardly was the son of God or anything else in that direction I doubt that "it would be exactly the same as it is now" since he, y'know, founded an enormous religion that has effected the world since then.

I think Mel should do another movie...Call it the second coming, have christ born into a palestinian family and then have him killed by the IDF.

Could be like a Life of Brian part 2.

SadLuckDame

Why do post as if all would agree? Lacking even a small amount of couth, hmm that some or many would not share your opinions? I'm sorry for jumping in as the noob to the forum, on a heated topic. But I would like to see some attempts from writers to show a little respect to those who would disagree. As I would show to you. Just an idea, maybe try to word "your" opinions as such, not as fact, out of respect and I will try to do the same in kind.

If he didn't come to earth till today, I would think first he may start with a nap as he'd have a lot of work to catch up on. :p

Edit to add~ Umm please and thank you with sugar on top

Last edited:

Faustling

Why do post as if all would agree? Lacking even a small amount of couth, hmm that some or many would not share your opinions? I'm sorry for jumping in as the noob to the forum, on a heated topic. But I would like to see some attempts from writers to show a little respect to those who would disagree. As I would show to you. Just an idea, maybe try to word "your" opinions as such, not as fact, out of respect and I will try to do the same in kind.

You're truely new to the forum if you consider this a heated topic with people lacking in respect :)

Seriously though, I don't really see anyone disrespecting anyone else in this thread. I'm pretty sure it's understood that we're talking about our own opinions and while there has been some slight Jesus-bashing (well, teasing really) I doubt Christians would take much offence.

D

Dr. Malone

"I doubt Christians would take much offence."

Oh, I'm sure they would. They seem to be rather easily offended people as a group.

I'm not sure what SadLuckDame is talking about either. This didn't seem like a heated topic at all...fun if anything.

SadLuckDame

Jesus never came to earth. He doesn't exist.
Well I'll make an attempt by using a quote, there were three that stood out as if factual.
This is a writing forum, and I thought simply that hey maybe just maybe if I asked nicely as ever, some could toy around with words to try to have a little "couth" ( I thought that word was a nice fit to what I was hopeful for.) Do I expect it, not at all. It just couldn't hurt to ask, and possibly add something to ponder. As far as heated, well I felt after I commented it may be going that way. I am newer though, so have only seen the latest discussions, maybe I was way off, my apologies for that.

ieuan

Eli and Jesus

Eli is one of the names of God. Jesus Christ is the name of the Saviour of the world; God incarnate in the flesh, the Holy one of Israel, the Messiah. The almight God absolutely Holy and perfect in all His ways. Jesus is God the son, the second person in the trinity, and yet there is one God.

Hear O Israel the Lord our God is one.

Christians take offence at the things said about Him by unbelievers because it blasphemes the name of God. They absolutely believe in a kindom after our death. And lo, all men die. And they absolutely believe that there will be a judgement and guess who by? Yes, by Jesus Christ. They believe absolutely that all who reject Christ will be punished in a place of torment, and all those that are born again of the spirit will live with Him for ever.

These are not debateable points, Christians are unequivical about these eternal matters.

There have always been skeptics, about the nature of God, and blasphemers. In the Christians book there is nothing worse than a blasphemer. Some get angry some understand that at one time we all were unbelievrs and try to make allowances. People say things like,

'Don't take it so personal when we "tease".' but to a Christian that is blasphemy. How would you like you wife or mother to be ridiculed in public, slandered, mocked? You would get angry . It's the same with a Christian, he takes it personal because Jesus is as real as this forum, it is personal because he/she worships Jesus as the one eternal God. The true Christian would give his live to defend his faith and many have over the centuries.

It's the same with the other world religions, people get upset when God is mocked. Someone posted a serious subject and some unbelievers ran to mock. This country was built on the noble asspirations of men and women who worked ceaslessly to adhere and promote Christian ideals becuase they bleived in them. The Bible is used in the law courts today, it is used in parliament, it is used for civil oaths. The assembly of our schools by law demands that children ar taught about God and encouraged to worship Him and to sing hymns of praise.

It is easy to hide behind the annominity of this forum to blaspheme the one and only true God and His son the Lord Jesus Christ.

I think we should respect the Christians point of view, this was always the case in the past. Sadly today, this point of view is lacking in society.

It is said that there are no unbleivres in a foxhole under atillary or fire in a fleet action at sea. It is also true that many unbelievers are buried with a Christian memorial and burial serviuce where prayers are said for the family asking God for comfort. It is also true that many people when dying call out to God for hope and succour. To do so and be an unbeliever is hypocrtitical and yet God commands that we do so and is in fact pleased when we do so. I would recommend Him to all.

Seek God whilst he may be found. Do it now, repent and believe.

regards

Ieuan

D

Dr. Malone

I'm just as open with my beliefs in the real world as I am here.

And for accepting Christians' views, well, I think history has proved they would rather slaughter those who don't agree with them, so I have very little pity when they are offended.

lordofhats

And for accepting Christians' views, well, I think history has proved they would rather slaughter those who don't agree with them, so I have very little pity when they are offended.

So your going to group us all together based on events that occured hundreds of years ago?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.