Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What exactly is His Dark Materials (1 Viewer)

bbgun

I've never heard of this series being a shuned redneck in the U.S. Could somebody explain to me what it's all about please.

-Ben

Ryushi

ok, its a bit complicated and i don't want to spoil it for anyone. so STOP NOW if you don't want to know.

Basicly this human starts a rebellion against "God" who is infact not the real God. The Church in these books is a ruthless and bloodthirsty organisation . cought up in the middle of this is a young girl called Lyra. That is as simple as i can get it.

the books are fantastic, well worth reading.

Ben M

Creative_Insanity

It's a trilogy by Philip Pullman written for youths and/or young adults. I read it when I was in . . . ummm. . . sixth grade, I think, and really enjoyed it. It's sort of a modern fantasy type thing. . . it's rather complex so I won't try to explain it, but it's fascinating, and well worth reading. If nothing else, you'll be able to have your own opinion about it, and that's convenient because this is a very well-known series. I think you'll enjoy it. It may not look short, but believe me, it's an extremely fast read.

Creative_Insanity

It should be there. I mean, it's controversial, but it's not THAT controversial. . . in fact, Golden Compass (book 1) was required reading for my 6th grade class. Sure, a lot of religious groups are adamantly against it, but there's really nothing that objectionable in it. Yeah, try your local B&N. Or you could just get it from the library to save money. . . . but no, noone listens to the wisdom of frugality these days. . . *sigh* lol, unless of course, your libary sucks and might as well not exist considering its conspicuous lack of books. . .

blademasterzzz

:lol:

I read the books a few years ago, and I really loved them, in fact they are one of my most loved series, just along with tolkien and HP.

bobothegoat

I read the series in 7th grade myself. Very good books, in my opinion at least. I think I'll have to read them again sometime, as I can't remember all the details...

BookwormA

Your definately in for a good read. I've read The Golden Compass close to ten times now, and it never ceases to amaze me at his style. I am, however, slightly less impressed with The subtle knife (though, once again, very well written), and I am still in the middle of The Amber Spyglass

It is a controversial book. I can see how religious groups could disagree with the ideas.

Truly, however, one cannot give out information on the book without spoiling the entire book