Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What do you use to write? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plaidman

I’m curious and looking for suggestions.

I write using an iPad with a keyboard attachment. But, I’m trying to find an app that works well for writing. I’ve seen several out there but, a lot of them want me to pay a monthly fee to write. That certainly doesn’t sound very appealing.

What do you use to write? Do you use an app or do you use a more standard program like Microsoft Word? Or, are you more old school pencil and paper?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I’m curious and looking for suggestions.

I write using an iPad with a keyboard attachment. But, I’m trying to find an app that works well for writing. I’ve seen several out there but, a lot of them want me to pay a monthly fee to write. That certainly doesn’t sound very appealing.

What do you use to write? Do you use an app or do you use a more standard program like Microsoft Word? Or, are you more old school pencil and paper?

I like to hand write first. I love the feeling of a pen in my hand. Then, I transcribe it to Google Docs. I like this method because I don't have to worry about saving it. Google docs saves it automatically in real time as it is uploaded to the cloud.

Plaidman

...Then, I transcribe it to Google Docs. I like this method because I don't have to worry about saving it. Google docs saves it automatically in real time as it is uploaded to the cloud.

I thought about using Google Docs. But, right now my google drive filing system looks like a tornado went through. But, I don’t suppose that’s Google’s fault. :icon_cheesygrin:

My handwriting is terrible. Plus, I like the easiness of quick edits when I type.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Excel for character profiles, world info, and early versions if the plot, then Word for everything else.

MS Word or Google Docs. Nothing fancy. Occasionally I'll do plotting with notecards, but none of those stories I've actually written yet, so maybe that doesn't work, lol.

I also write ideas on slips of paper and stuff them in Mr. Idea Box, who is a guy I made out of a yogurt container with a heart-shaped hole in his head. He wears a pair of headphones I found on the sidewalk. Then on semester breaks I shake out all the paper slips and decide which ones are good enough to become projects. It's a method I need so that I'm not constantly working on new ideas when I'm supposed to be doing homework. ( :

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I've used Scrivener for my last two novels. There is a sticky on this sub-forum where I compared it against YWriter.

I moved away from Word when, two novels in a row, I accidentally deleted a huge chunk. Luckily, I use a backup program which maintains generation archives, so I was able to go through them until I found the last one with the missing material, but that still left me gun shy. LOL

In honesty, I'm not taking advantage of all of Scrivener's features, but I like being able to write chapters in separate files, and then see them all together with one click. For one thing, it's much easier to keep track of word count in both chapters and the entire project to date. In Word, I had to highlight back to the start of the chapter to get the word count for the current chapter, and I'm quite certain that highlighting was what led to losing chunks of content. I have used the "side by side" feature a couple of times to put a previous scene up against my current scene to insure continuity.

EmmaSohan

WF Veterans
I use Jarte on my laptop. I really like Jarte. Its like WordPad, if I remember correctly. When I need more formatting power, I use Open Office, because it's free.

Kehlida

I keep copies of anything major across at least two different mediums, so MS Word & Google docs. Plus, I back up my documents on a USB drive (archaic, I know.)

If I have an idea for a poem, I put it in a notebook and go to town. It ends up a hot mess, but it's worth it once I type out the finished product.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I keep copies of anything major across at least two different mediums, so MS Word & Google docs. Plus, I back up my documents on a USB drive (archaic, I know.)

If I have an idea for a poem, I put it in a notebook and go to town. It ends up a hot mess, but it's worth it once I type out the finished product.

My face shows up under the definition of archaic. I keep backups on two USB devices, one I carry with me and the other is on top of my PC. I don't use 'One Drive' or the derivatives thereof because I don't like my work just hanging out there on line.

Oh - and I always write the first few chapters of a new project using my 'lucky' coffee cup.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I don't use 'One Drive' or the derivatives thereof because I don't like my work just hanging out there on line.

Plus, there is a dangerous behavior with OneDrive. If you drag files to it, they don't Copy to it, they Move to it as the default behavior. That one thing caused me to uninstall it.

I was like: "F* that! You don't get to EAT my files F'ing OneDrive! Begone!!"

Last edited:

MistWolf

Last year I switched from PCs to a Mac Book. I got tired of having to deal with all the renewal BS for MicroSoft Office, Windows and dealing with PCs in general. I write on Pages and have the option of saving my documents as Pages, .doc or .pdf.

JJBuchholz

Storyboards and idea sheets for a new manuscript are done in notebooks I get at the dollar store. They are lined and ruled, and
have 200 or more pages in them. I keep a couple of small notepads (one in my car) to jot down really quick ideas if I'm not at
home, and when the real writing starts, I switch to my laptop and open WordPad and/or Kingsoft Writer and get down to the
business at hand.

-JJB

druid12000

Being older than dirt, I prefer the tried and true hammer and chisel. It's a bit time consuming but it works :icon_cheesygrin:

Sorry, seriously though, I use an older version of Word because I will be damned before I will pay for a subscription for the newer version. And the buggers don't make it easy to get the older versions. Otherwise, I have been using pen and paper at work.

I am wondering, because I didn't see it mentioned thus far, does anyone use a digital voice recorder? I purchased one to use while I'm working but so far it's not a good fit, I think I need an external mic, but I like the idea of it and want to make it work. I like that it can be plugged directly into the computer to upload the recordings. It would be all kinds of awesome if it would convert voice to text. I know there's software available for that but haven't checked it out.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Being older than dirt, I prefer the tried and true hammer and chisel. It's a bit time consuming but it works :icon_cheesygrin:

Sorry, seriously though, I use an older version of Word because I will be damned before I will pay for a subscription for the newer version. And the buggers don't make it easy to get the older versions. Otherwise, I have been using pen and paper at work.

I am wondering, because I didn't see it mentioned thus far, does anyone use a digital voice recorder? I purchased one to use while I'm working but so far it's not a good fit, I think I need an external mic, but I like the idea of it and want to make it work. I like that it can be plugged directly into the computer to upload the recordings. It would be all kinds of awesome if it would convert voice to text. I know there's software available for that but haven't checked it out.

I use an older version of Word too. The new one is too busy for my liking. I've watched videos of Scrivener but I haven't got a pilot's license, so that's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.