Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What do you think is wrong with Modern Horror Novels? (1 Viewer)

Avarice

yeah i agree, theres always crap out there but theres always good stuff. Although dont go looking for King's new stuff, I dont think any one dares to tell him how bad hes become.

Pity.

Daniel Malone

King is still the modern "King" of horror, but I have read that horror sells are down since the 80's and 90's.

I just wondered why?

Kane

Did you compare the decline in horror sales with the sales of other types of books? IS it just horror that is declining or is it all types of books?

Daniel Malone

I am asking about horror. I am sure every genre has its peaks and valleys. It just seemed horror was more popular in the past.

zallan

Yeah, I'm getting bored of Stephen King now... The Cell doesn't sound so promising. I guess anything related to the modern real world is horror, because that's life, heheh.

Addison

The principle problem with the genre altogether is the disconcerting lack of subtlety as entertained by its practitioners.

Another point to consider is that there is no longer any real understanding of the difference between "terror" and "horror".

Mike C

WF Veterans
Addison said:
Another point to consider is that there is no longer any real understanding of the difference between "terror" and "horror".

Or "Horror" and "schlock" or "gorefest".

Avarice

CNN reporting on the iraq war and the bush administration calling americans traitors for wanting to find the truth.

Thats enough horror.

IamLegend

A raging lack of originality could be a major cause. It seems that with modern horror there's very few authors with new and authentic ideas these days. You'll have someone write a "horror" novel with ideas seemingly penned years ago by someone with the likes of King, just slightly altered for modern use.

Banzai

In Stephen King's defence, his Dark Tower series is very good, although I suppose it isn'h horror so much as...weird...which could be horror in itself, I suppose. I haven't read The Cell yet, or any other of his more modern 'horror' books, but he can definitely still write.

Users who are viewing this thread