Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What do you think about Devices ? Like Plot devices Literary devices Rhetoric devices (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
To be honest, they leave me cold. I don't think they're essential but in many cases they can be helpful. The three act structure, save the cat, the heroes journey ... Maybe I'll find them more helpful when I start writing novels again. Who knows.

Davinci

To be honest, they leave me cold. I don't think they're essential but in many cases they can be helpful. The three act structure, save the cat, the heroes journey ... Maybe I'll find them more helpful when I start writing novels again. Who knows.
Thank You.
i was researching about them So asked :)

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Are they essential? Or to have undertsanding and knowledge about them is must?

I like a good device. I definitely think that at least being aware of them with a view of how to use them can really top out one's writing. I do suspect that a lot of writers instinctively use them perhaps without being aware of it, having picked up the general shape of such tricks in one's media consumption.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I like a good device. I definitely think that at least being aware of them with a view of how to use them can really top out one's writing. I do suspect that a lot of writers instinctively use them perhaps without being aware of it, having picked up the general shape of such tricks in one's media consumption.
For ages I thought I couldn't quote you but then realised you have a ridiculously long sig!

I think you're right here. I see my structure as a roller-coaster ride. The downs, the ups, the long drops, the slow climbs. I'm always aware of how long that long climb is for instance. The longer and more tension filled the climb is, the more exciting the drop.

Davinci

For ages I thought I couldn't quote you but then realised you have a ridiculously long sig!

I think you're right here. I see my structure as a roller-coaster ride. The downs, the ups, the long drops, the slow climbs. I'm always aware of how long that long climb is for instance. The longer and more tension filled the climb is, the more exciting the drop.
Build and Release-~>>>

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Build and Release-~>>>
Exactly, yes. What that does it make you realise the climb is actually more important than the drop. For the excitement to have an impact, there has to be tension and expectation, a sense that something is about to happen over that next crest ... and then 'AUGHHHHH ....'

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager

I find thinking about devices helps discipline my writing. It's interesting also to try stuff that seems on the face of it quite dry and unartistic, and observe the reaction. It's like "I press this button to manufacture happiness."

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
I don't think you can avoid plot/literary devices, as everything has been done and there's not a lot of new ground to tread. However, being aware of them can keep you from making your story too formulaic.

Rhetorical devices, on the other hand, I absolutely love, and try to use them frequently. Deliberate word choice is where a writer's craftsmanship comes out, and it's the difference between a story that's good because of WHAT'S written, and a story that's good because of HOW it's written.

Last edited:

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
Exactly, yes. What that does it make you realise the climb is actually more important than the drop. For the excitement to have an impact, there has to be tension and expectation, a sense that something is about to happen over that next crest ... and then 'AUGHHHHH ....'

One thing I discovered from my first novel to my second is that you always need an antagonist. It's doesn't have to be a person, and in fact very often isn't, but without a source of conflict for the protagonists, there are no stakes, and no reason to be interested in the story. Also, the balance between short-term goals/resolutions and long-term ones is very important. You may know your characters' major objectives from the very first chapter, but that alone won't keep a reader interested in the story unless there's some resolution - some payoff for the reader - along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.