Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What did you read as a child? (1 Viewer)

Vos

I don't mean what childrens books that you like now. I want to know what other people read when they were younger.

I used to read a LOT of Animorphs books. I must have 12 or 13 of them in my basement. I don't even remember much about them apart from the horrible show that came out a few years after they were "popular".

I Guess this would constitute as a SPOILER
Lol, whenI was proberly 11, I read on the internet by acident that Tobias was going to die in the new book... I cried for hours.

I also used to have a lot of Boxcar Children books, this was because I joind the book club. I have proberly have more than 20 or 30, I only read like 14 or 15 of them.

I was bord the other day and picked up one of them, I solved the mystery in the first 20 minuits of reading the book and had to wait trough the other hour and a half for the kids to figer it out... dumb kids. :D

Nimbus

I read some pointless books. Some I'm too embarrassed to say. I just won't say any. Sorry I wasted a post.

bobothegoat

SPOILER!

Tobias didn't die. Racheal did in the last book, though. Then Tobias kind of went off into the woods never to be heard off again...

Yeah, I read a lot of Animorphs. There's about fourty of them in my closet somewhere, two of which were the last two books. It gets pretty dark near the end-- or at least I thought it was dark as a kid. They end up loosing that blue box to the Yerks and end up living in the mountains or something.

Kikster

I read a lot of rohal dahl (is that how you spell his name???)... I loved his books.

I also loved gerald durrell and james herriot (I wanted to be a vet)

for some wierd reason I loved agatha christie's novels and read all of them.

but my favorite book ever was the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. GREAT!!!!

I was quite the book worm....

Vos

[\SPOILER]

I know that Tobias was brought back to life but I didn't know Rachel dies... Now I want to cry again... well not really, but still...

[/Spoiler]

Yah, I used to read Rohal Doll (sp? as well) too, I must of read The Twits 4 or 5 times.

I have a large cloths hamper in my basement full of books I had as a kid, but like I said a lot of them are Boxcar Children and Animorphs. :D I should proberly go through them some time soon, see what I had.

Rosalina

I read a lot most of Louis Sachar books (Wayside School is falling down was my favorite) I was so happy to hear a few years ago that he had a really big hit w/ Holes and it got made into a movie. Still love the books to this day.

I also loved Goosebumps and Fear Street (like most kids). They never really scared me much though.

Vos

I used to buy Gossebumps books so I'd be "cool". I never read most of them, I just watched the tv show versions of the books instead. The only ones I did read were the choose you own adventure ones.

Hodge

pliable
When I was really young I had Curious George, Little Critter, The Berenstein Bears, and some other assorted children's books (The Little Engine That Could!).

When I got older I became partial to Goosebumps, Fear Street, Spooksville, Calvin & Hobbes (I still love it—can you tell?), Tintin, 1960s era science fiction, and fantasy novels (like the Shannara series and the Magic: The Gathering novels—the old Harperprism ones, not the crapass newer ones).

Kane

When I was in the first through fourth grades, I loved the Hardy Boys, as well as other fun books meant for younger audiences. I was also a big fan of the 2nd perspective type of books where you get to choose different paths to take, kind of creating your own story line.

Hodge

pliable
Oh man, our school had so much retro 1970s and 1980s stuff (and yet it won the national "blue ribbon" award in 1994—a testament to the sorry state of our educational institutions) and those Choose Your Own Adventure books were so fun! Seemingly benign options like "if you peer over the rock, turn to page 124" almost always meant certain death.

semtecks

I can't remeber the name of this book but i'm always on the lookout for it. It's about a boy who goes on an expidition to the himalayas and gets abducted by Yetis and taken to a colony of them in the mountains.

I remember this book because i got noticed by the teacher for reading it--it was beyond my age level or something--and i got to go with the pretentious *ahem* gifted kids to see an authour called Kevin Crossley Holland who wrote a few childrens books.

Beyond that, Goosebumps, Stig of the dump and Brother of the land (good book).

Ralizah

Well, from the 6- 9ish range, I read mainly Animorphs and Goosebumps. From 10-13ish, my favorite books were 1984 (Orwell), The Magus (Fowles), and Catcher in the Rye (Salinger).

a15haddad

When I was 7, 8, 9, I read books ranging from Harry Potter to The Secret Garden. Looking back on it now, I still can't believe I actually read the Secret Garden when I was 7. When I was 10 I got obsessed with James Patterson's Alex Cross series and read every one multiple times. At 11 I read a lot of John Grisham (my naive years). Also, I always read all sorts of sport books, whether they be biographies, historical accounts, or fictional sports tales. My favorite book ever used to be Fab Five by Mitch Albom.

Nimbus

Ok. I read Gossebumps. And once when I was in kindergarten I read.... Power Rangers. :? It's still weird!

Vos

Oh my god, there are power rangers books? Who thought that was a good Idea?

Also I went trough my old books. I found The Karate Kid part II the book! I need to read it now, I don't remember ever getting past the first chapter or so.

Also, I had more Archie comics than any one kid should have.

Aeryn

I wasn't a reader. I was a tomboy so I was outside playing football or something. The one book that I do remember reading is still one of my favorites. The Velveteen Rabbit. I love that book!

Hodge

pliable
I remember the Velveteen Rabbit... Such a sad book. They don't make books like that for kids anymore—nowadays it's all commercial horse shit that doesn't challenge a child in any way.