Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are your writing goals for 2021? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
It just takes experience and dedication. Anyone can do it if they want to.

You remind me of a guy who won a Nobel prize for physics, the interviewer asked him if it was very hard and he said, "I think anyone could have discovered it if they had wanted to know enough".
People say people inspire them, but I always feel the motivation comes from within, all they do is show you the way to it.

JJBuchholz

Write at least 1 short story per month.

That is what I normally attempt to do, as one short story or novella per month is more than attainable. In my case, other ideas pop up in between that usually let me write a lot more than just the one story I planned on. Not complaining, however. The extra ideas/WIPs usually help me in one way or another, and this all helps amplify my passion for writing even further.

-JJB

LadySilence

I use a notebook, paper and pen, where I write the synopsis of all the ideas that come to me, even the most absurd.
After a while, and I decide whether to use them immediately, or wait.
I learned that nothing is thrown away.

Cephus

You remind me of a guy who won a Nobel prize for physics, the interviewer asked him if it was very hard and he said, "I think anyone could have discovered it if they had wanted to know enough".
People say people inspire them, but I always feel the motivation comes from within, all they do is show you the way to it.

There is no external inspiration in writing. Absolutely every bit of it comes from within. If you want to do it badly enough, you will. If you don't, you won't. It's why all of the amateurs who get on forums and cry "motivate me!" are getting it all wrong. Nobody can motivate you but you. You have to develop the drive and the work ethic to get out there and make it happen on your own. Writing isn't a group activity. It's something you do if you're willing to put in the work. Most people aren't.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
2020 and the coronavirus kind of damaged my enthusiasm, especially with all the turmoil it threw the publishing industry into. There were a lot of agents/editors who were just closing their doors to submissions, and publishers going out of business. It made me wonder, here and there, if writing and publishing was doomed to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Is there a future for books, in a post-Covid world?

Or will only Netflix remain standing, when the dust finally settles?

Mostly, I feel that I'm just overthinking things. Perhaps, after everything, publishing will become stronger than ever. One can certainly hope!

So I'm trying to reframe my mind and get back to that happy place, where words are a joy. It's coming back, but just not as quickly as I would like. I have two novels in progress right now, and I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. :encouragement:

JJBuchholz

There is no external inspiration in writing. Absolutely every bit of it comes from within. If you want to do it badly enough, you will. If you don't, you won't. It's why all of the amateurs who get on forums and cry "motivate me!" are getting it all wrong. Nobody can motivate you but you. You have to develop the drive and the work ethic to get out there and make it happen on your own. Writing isn't a group activity. It's something you do if you're willing to put in the work. Most people aren't.

*slow clap*

This exactly!

-JJB

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
2020 and the coronavirus kind of damaged my enthusiasm, especially with all the turmoil it threw the publishing industry into. There were a lot of agents/editors who were just closing their doors to submissions, and publishers going out of business. It made me wonder, here and there, if writing and publishing was doomed to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Mostly, I feel that I'm just overthinking things. Perhaps, after everything, publishing will become stronger than ever. One can certainly hope!

So I'm trying to reframe my mind and get back to that happy place, where words are a joy. It's coming back, but just not as quickly as I would like. I have two novels in progress right now, and I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. :encouragement:

Hey Kyle,
I understand how you feel. My WIP is just sitting there, and it just seems a little irrelevant. I have plenty of time on my hands, but the inspiration just isn't there. What makes a good story post-Covid? Is there anything that's going to be of interest to readers? I like to write realistic stories of how people get through things, but who's going to say wow! that story about the dust bowl was really a great read! For heavens sake, we are living the Great Depression, the Plague, with more hurricanes than any other year and since they've been keeping records, and not one good family Thanksgiving story to tell - cause no one had Thanksgiving! Well, some did, but that likely is going to be a bust in two weeks. And writing ABOUT Covid would never work - who would want to read it, once we've lived it? May in a hundred years . . . :( But bless your heart for trying. Keep trying, Kyle - maybe its not as bad as it feels right now. :)

-xXx-

Financial Supporter

write.
there will be a place.
jussayin'
;)

Hey Kyle,
I understand how you feel. My WIP is just sitting there, and it just seems a little irrelevant. I have plenty of time on my hands, but the inspiration just isn't there. What makes a good story post-Covid? Is there anything that's going to be of interest to readers? I like to write realistic stories of how people get through things, but who's going to say wow! that story about the dust bowl was really a great read! For heavens sake, we are living the Great Depression, the Plague, with more hurricanes than any other year and since they've been keeping records, and not one good family Thanksgiving story to tell - cause no one had Thanksgiving! Well, some did, but that likely is going to be a bust in two weeks. And writing ABOUT Covid would never work - who would want to read it, once we've lived it? May in a hundred years . . . :( But bless your heart for trying. Keep trying, Kyle - maybe its not as bad as it feels right now. :)
there will always be a place
for ways to work with
struggle.

set goals.
think about the word "pivot".

*be well*
:)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Right on, xXx. Write on!

Writing is important, perhaps the presentation may change, but writers expose, writers bring hope, writers give people models. Dig deep and carry on. If it doesn't work at first it doesn't matter, readers don't see every word we write, but we write every word they see.

JJBuchholz

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen a lot more people buying books and such as of late. Two of the main things that people seem to be doing more of (mainly thanks to current events) are cooking and reading.

-JJB

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Hey Kyle,
Thanks for the encouragement, Sue—and the commiseration!

Yeah, the state of the world has just been so bizarre and challenging, lately. I have great admiration for the content creators who're still plunging ahead without missing a beat!

LadySilence

I love Netflix, but nothing can ever replace the pleasure of a good book.
I've known people who didn't even read the plots of the movies, written on the TV guide.
Those who do not want to read did not want to read even before the pandemic.

Matchu

a) No, I am Netflix Resistance, card-carrying/gramophone/ear trumpet. My son, even more pious still, & part of the no telephone no facebook new wave partisans. Boy's getting a bow and arrow for Christmas. My wife, his mother, our victim of Netflix, shell of her former self, eyes lazered by Netflix, eyes useless flaps of skin upon her cheeks.

b) When they make the film of my great life, I imagine a handsome actor busting down the door, blowing out cobwebs from the hard drive cradled in my skeleton. He's some kind of techy genius, retrieves the novella poetry, and I am published in space.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Writing goals for 2020? Finish my memoirs to date. It's a personal project for my family once I'm gone. Kids never really see us as people.

I also need to submit some of my poetry to various journals for publication. I am a great procrastinator when it comes to submissions.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Olly Buckles wrote: "Writing is important, perhaps the presentation may change, but writers expose, writers bring hope, writers give people models. Dig deep and carry on. If it doesn't work at first it doesn't matter, readers don't see every word we write, but we write every word they see."

*** I'll say it's important. Writers do all those things Olly mentions and more. William Butler Yeats' astounding and terrifying poem, The Second Coming, was written in response to the 1918-1919 flu pandemic-- his wife caught it and almost died-- and the result is a poem that won't soon be forgotten. Some are able to work through such horrible times.

***I understand the feeling you have, Kyle, so maybe if you try working on smaller pieces you'll be able to work through the trying times we're all dealing with. You might start writing (if you don't already) poems or prose poems (many just a paragraph long) or flash fiction/ flash memoirs (some just a few words long, some up to 1,000 words). I think it's important to try to find something meaningful to you and writing is one of your meaningful activities (hence your two novels in the works). I think working on shorties will keep you busy, keep you hoping, and, equally important, will keep you writing. Writing anything is a good way of at least momentarily taking your mind of this desperate time we're living through. Or if you can't stop thinking about it, write a shorty (or two or ten) about it. Hang in there. The world will always need writers.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Writing goals for 2020? Finish my memoirs to date. It's a personal project for my family once I'm gone. Kids never really see us as people.

I also need to submit some of my poetry to various journals for publication. I am a great procrastinator when it comes to submissions.

I agree that kids and I'd add not even parents or spouses are able to really see us as people. I also think your memoir is also a great way of getting to know yourself too!

Isn't the submission process the worst? So many possibilities but we have to first study the markets to see where our work might fit (different journals, as you know, have different needs and preferences) and then make a choice from the many possibilities left, and then send the work. That's all so time consuming. I'd always rather write a new poem (or anything) than send work out.

I forced myself at the end of the year last year and that big effort was so worthwhile (this year it turned out to be my best publishing year yet). Maybe take one week (or one day) every month or two to do nothing but send work out. It might pay off quite well. Fingers crossed for you.

Maybe we should start a thread labeled something like: Where Did You Send Your Work This Month? Maybe if we all try to keep up with each other, we could all improve in the send-it-out phase of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.