Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you reading? (1 Viewer)

Chrispian

Patron
I tend to read too many technical books. Right now though, I'm readint the Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan). I recently read Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn, which was awesome. I'm going to pick up his new series soon.

What is everyone else reading right now?

M

Mazet

I'm reading Salmon of Doubt and Little Birds

Usually, I have a few more going at a time, but I just finished a book about directing film and The Terminal Man.

Anonymous

Mazet said:
I'm reading Salmon of Doubt and Little Birds

Usually, I have a few more going at a time, but I just finished a book about directing film and The Terminal Man.
I'm currently reading Peter F. Hamilton's series, James Clemens' series, Jordan's, Goodkind's, Rowling's. Too many to keep track of. The important books, the ones you absolutely must read, are Kafka, Edgar Allan Poe, C.S. Friedman, and Storm Constantine. Their words is pretty.

Anonymous

Must reads:
Everything by Tolkien, HG Wells, Wilde, Shaw, Dumas, F.S. Fitzgerald, Hemingway, H. Rider Haggard, GK Chesterton

Kafka scared me half to death with The Metamorphosis.

Currently, I want to read and finish reading, as opposed to can actually afford the time to read: Tom Jones, Faust, and The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Anonymous

I am actually reading many things at once right now.

-The enchantments of Flesh and Spirit, Storm Constantine
-Kushiel's Chosen, Jacqueline Carey
-Weaveworld, Clive Barker

There are also many things on my shelf that one day I will hopefully get around to.

-Dras

Washer

Excellent! Someone else is reading Storm Constantine. Also, Furius, if you ever read this post again, I'd reccomend reading In The Penal Colony by Kafka. It's just one of the best short stories I've ever read, period. Again, I'm terrible at describing literary elements, but he used so many my head spun. And if you're into odd sci-fi, check out Gene Wolfe. I can't tell what he's trying to get across, but it's just so weird you'll be mulling it over for eternity.

M

Mendicant98

I'm currently reading Walden by Thoreau, but also recently read works by H.G. Wells. Terry Pratchett I also enjoy - a great satirist. And of course, J.R.R. Tolkien along with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - but in my opinion Jordan's series loses something after Book Threee. He even said so himself that he is only dragging it out so long because TOR Fantasy has him in a contract and is making him pump out new books for the same series. In my opinion, Wheel of Time could have been wrapped up in three books. He does make some neat new plots, but honestly, how much can someone read about women whispering behind the backs' of men, plotting some sort of way to control them? I found the books much more entertaining back in Book 1, 2, and 3. All just opinion, of course.

Bartleby

Mendicant98 said:
...in my opinion Jordan's series loses something after Book Three...

I'd have to agree with you there. I began to loose interest around book 4 or so, and never even bothered to finish the last one. How the mighty have fallen..sigh. But there are a few modern fantasies out there that kick Mr. Jordan in the seat of his pants. I have a post in the Fantasy thread if you wanna check out. Isabo and myself are enjoying the conversation so far.

Bartleby

To stay on topic I'm currently reading "Dust to Dust" by Tami Hoag, and anxiously awaiting a ton of other new releases. On a side note Jeffery Deaver's "The Vanished Man" was an excellent addition to the Lincoln Rhyme series. Lets just hope James Patterson's next Alex Cross book is as god.

Scott

Where do I start. My reading has become my school for writing.

Cold Mountain - Charles frazier (How can a person not repeat themselves when every paragraph has numerous metaphors and similies) I read some where that classics are remembered for their charachters and location, not their story. what a great example!!!

All The Pretty Horses - Cormac Mc Carthy. sentences that go on forever. Relationships that are envied-country and personal.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Facory - Roald Dahl. Say no more. What a hero!

Ned Kelly - Peter Carey. He's definatley a mentor.

The Silver Brumby series-Evelyn mitchell. Children's books with wonderful grammer and punctuation - heart of Australia.

The Writers reader - A guide to writing fiction and poetry - Brenda Walker. This book has become my bible. So many great ideas and suggestions.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami. Only 100 pages in. Have been told he is a master. Such simple english. Can't wait for the experience.

In my pile of "to read" books are

Catch 22

Kings in Grass Castles - Mary Durak

Four Fires - Bryce Courtney

Harry potter

ets etc ets

yad4u

I just recently finished "The Stand," by Stephen King, and "The Talisman" (for the 6th time) by him also. The wheel of time is a great series. i kind of liked having to read them all over again when the next book came out last (fall?)
I highly suggest "The Talisman," it's my favorite book.

Anyone have any suggestions for my first book of the summer?
Brandon Day

free_mind_7

what im reading

hey chrispian,
i see there is now a section for the reading population. thanx a lot man. as to what im reading, i was discussing this with ur friend matt the other day (bartleby). as of now it looks like this.....

Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower IV) - Stephen King

then....

K2 Triumph and Tragedy - Jim Curran

and the next planned book.....

Hitler: A Study in Tyrrany - Alan Bullock

after that i dont have anything planned to read. i foresse another SK piece seeing as i have about ten more of his books that i havent yet read.

aubie84

Here are mine!

1. The History of Civilization by Will Durant (Currently on the volume on the Renaissance).

2. Fay by Larry Brown.

3. Yonder Stands Your Orphan by Barry Hannah.

4. The Name of the World by Denis Johnson.

mattquarterstein

I'm reading "The Waste Makers" by Vance Packard.

It's a book about American economics in the 1960s, and things corporations did (and still do) to make sure people consume and waste more. It's quite interesting, if you're into that kind of thing.

Csira

I'm reading :

'In the Forests of the Night'
'Demon In My View'

Both by the astounding teen writer, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. They belong to the fantasy genre, and are about vampires. Although the first may be simply good, the second is the better of the two.

Also, I am reading: 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding.

S

SamIAm

I just got finished with 1984 by George Orwell, and am almost done with Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. There's a big difference in the descriptions of negative-utiopias before and after WWII.