Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you reading now? (4 Viewers)

Matchu

I am reading Lebanon hostage Brian Keenan’s An Evil Cradling - the account that received praise/the literary plaudits of the time. By tomorrow I’ll move on to John McCarthy’s ‘softer’ Some Other Rainbow - comparing the two sat in my armchair hammock overlooking Buck Palace - being as these two men were chained or boxed together …anyway…researching the era…almost as intriguing are the former hostages who never did publish any book, whose lives fell apart completely in the aftermath. Bitter.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I listen to The Tattooist of Auschwitz using an Audible trial a couple of years ago. I didn't realise that the author had written a follow up, Cilka's Journey, so that's what I'm reading now

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I envy you, Lady Silence, to be reading Luigi Pirandello. I've read just one of his plays, Six Characters in Search of an Author, and it was unforgettable. I've always meant to read more of Pirandello's work.

LadySilence

I envy you, Lady Silence, to be reading Luigi Pirandello. I've read just one of his plays, Six Characters in Search of an Author, and it was unforgettable. I've always meant to read more of Pirandello's work.
I love Pirandello very much.
6 characters in search of an author, it is a simply brilliant book.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I just finished Starman's Saga: The Long, Strange Journey of Leif the Lucky by Colin Alexander. Really great immersive space adventure.

Currently listening to The Influence by Bentley Little which is interesting and well-written so that I am in it to find out how this all turns out even if I'm not sure I always like the book.

Currently reading (in print form) In Plain Sight by C.J. Box who is one of my favorite writers now.

Currently poking along with (in ebook form) Numbercaste by Yudhanjaya Wijeratne which has a great premise but is poking along so that I'm getting a little bored with the the pace of the plot.

ehbowen

Right now I'm reading an advance copy of Like Dust, I Rise which was provided to me by the author, Ginny Rorby (blog) as a thank-you for helping her with some period details of her characters' train trip. I'm about halfway through the book, which looks to be written for Young Adults, and so far I like it. I like it a lot. It's about a school-age girl who relocates with her family from the stockyards of Chicago to the Great Plains of Texas...just in time to be caught up in the Dust Bowl. It strikes me as a somewhat grittier version of Caddie Woodlawn or the Little House books. The picture it paints is honest about the struggles which the settlers of the era faced, but never gratuitously ugly. Well, so far. Due out in December from Black Rock.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Winston Groom's El Paso.

Despite an era, a plot, and a cast that could not fail to hold my attention...it's abysmal. I think it cost a quarter and I'm not altogether certain that was a bargain.

I may have to return to Cormac McCarthy soon.