Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
and butter... ;)

OTT, they are from Scotland. They say when students from the Highlands attended Edinburgh university they would bring a bag of oatmeal. Mornings they would pour a little boiling water in the top and eat the sloppy bit it as porridge, then flatten it out the rest and bake oatcakes on top of the stove to take with them. High days and holidays they would add a dram to the boiling water :) I don't really believe it, but it's probably not far from the truth. When I was a boy cracked oats were boiled up every night and left overnight to soften for breakfast, I have seen Scotsmen horrified by the idea of adding milk to porridge.

Amnesiac

Household mammals are plumping up nicely. They are now on the short list, and I have so many recipes....

bd3179ca2189d0415b98f855d3801054.jpg

Ma'am

I made refried bean sammiches, with tomatoes, onion, black olives and mustard on toast. They were not as good as they sounded in my mind.

Also, next time I won't get the cheapest toaster. It only does two slices at a time and makes part untoasted and part burned. :(

sammiches.JPG

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Home made bread products are so much nicer, thank goodness for breadmakers. ours is on every couple to three days and there are only two of us. They don't have preservatives, but they don't need them.

There is a great description in Cobbett's 'Cottage economy' of the Happy, healthy young woman who gets exercise kneading bread, it is in the bit where he is denigrating potatoes. It is a lovely book, but I am glad of the breadmaker.

Kopely

Because of the circumstances my girlfriend and I have been tighten up our food budget. Tonight we will be enjoying mushroom soup, long grain white rice and garlic butter seared string beans.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Home made bread products are so much nicer, thank goodness for breadmakers.
I am the breadmaker. No room or money for a breadmaking machine or even a stand mixer so I'm getting pretty good with the bare necessities. And I knead minimally but proof as long as I can.
Because of the circumstances my girlfriend and I have been tighten up our food budget. Tonight we will be enjoying mushroom soup, long grain white rice and garlic butter seared string beans.
That might not be an expensive meal but it sounds like a really good one.

If anyone needs some inexpensive meal ideas there's a show (I originally saw it on FB and now it is on Hulu) called Struggle Meals. Mainly aimed at taking the fear out of real cooking for college age people, I've found a few favorite recipes on it so far and it's entertaining (and cheap). Looks like some of the content is up for free on You Tube as well. :)

Last edited:

Pulse

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Nettle soup is good to avoid the supermarkets.

Fry an onion; stir in some flour. Add water and lemon, ideally with some nutmeg. Boil up and you can add a couple of eggs if you've got them.

Anything wild suits my metabolism; I have strong need of iron right now.

Ma'am

It tasted okay but not amazing. I don't think I've ever cooked with shallots before. The grocery store was out of onions. Tastes like a mild onion but pricier.

Users who are viewing this thread