Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I never got that, how is a microwave dinner a healthy choice? When the missus is away and I am catering for myself it always stuns me a bit comparing my basket at the supermarket queue with the others. I buy ingredients, it is much cheaper and there is only a fraction of the amount of plastic. I would far rather spend more time in the kitchen cooking something I will really enjoy and get a sense of achievement from, than spend longer earning money to pay for stuff that is not even as nice as Coke and Doritos.

A tip, Potato is one of the few veg that does not need to go into boiling water, so put the potatoes on in cold water and then start peeling carrots. Then drop the carrot in with the potatoes. They don't take as long it gives the spuds a great taste. If I am having mash with something I will even mash them together sometimes.

Well, I am a very good cook, and I love the entire process... it is soothing to be in the kitchen, stirring, slicing and sampling... ;) However, It is not much fun to cook for myself.... and I am lazy.... and what the heck is wrong with Doritos???? I mean seriously... it is the perfect bite....every time....

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Well I sort of gave away why they will stop manufacturing them. Not to mention it takes away the nutrients in vegetables. But the example of a heart vessel breaking or collapsing is not far-fetched.

Irwin

My family doesn't use microwaves anymore since a doctor in our family said it could melt blood vessels. I am not making this up. Don't make microwave dinners. They will stop producing microwaves in many countries a year from now such as South Korea.

Yesterday ate a tuna sandwich with some salad. My mom didn't want to cook which is understandable. We came back from a 3-hour trip. Not to mention we were all tired.

Tuna contains high levels of mercury, which can cause brain damage. Just saying. :)

As far as microwaves melting blood vessels, they're not talking about a microwave oven; they're talking about microwaves from medical devices used for treating cancer.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Looks like I took part in spreading some information that wasn't true. I looked it up and I don't know why my uncle said this.

Sure if you eat a lot of tuna it can cause damages such as when someone suffers from mercury poisoning. It can still be healthy for you if you eat it in moderation I assume.

Last edited:

Ma'am

I try to eat mostly whole, plant-based foods. I don't always succeed, though. Especially at the holidays.

Last edited:

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Why has vegetarian food become 'Plant based foods'?

2 different things... A plant based diet is a diet that is based on food derived from plants...
Veganism is an ethical movement where an individual abstains from any animal products in the form of food, clothing and products tested on animals, or that require animal abuse of any kind...

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I see 'Plant based' on all sorts of foods that must be highly processed, like substitute milks and meat. If I wanted to differentiate a non-dairy eater I would say 'vegan'. I suppose I could be being an individual from a previous era trying to keep the language static, or that for some it adds some extra connotation I don't get. But I have a strong suspicion that it is some advertiser's B.S. Begging your pardon for the language Ma'am. I don't like using the 'Ad.' word, but sometimes it is necessary.

Ma'am

I see 'Plant based' on all sorts of foods that must be highly processed, like substitute milks and meat. If I wanted to differentiate a non-dairy eater I would say 'vegan'. I suppose I could be being an individual from a previous era trying to keep the language static, or that for some it adds some extra connotation I don't get. But I have a strong suspicion that it is some advertiser's B.S. Begging your pardon for the language Ma'am. I don't like using the 'Ad.' word, but sometimes it is necessary.

I said "whole, plant-based foods." "Whole foods" are unprocessed. And "vegan" is commonly considered to include a whole philosophy beyond diet, and also does not exclude those highly processed foods. I don't have anything to do with what an advertiser might put on a label but my use of "whole, plant-based foods" is an accurate description.

Last edited:

Ma'am

Son tossed a bunch of big vegetable pieces on the charcoal grill, like zucchini and carrots cut in half lengthwise, etc. Zucchini, carrot, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato, potato, corn on the cob. And nice steaks for himself. I wouldn't have thought to do the vegetables like that but it was easy and wonderful. I'll definitely copy-cat, but will probably brush with some oil w/garlic or some such first.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
That looks spectacular and I like the straightforwardness of it. Food+fire. There ya go.

Tonight was homemade turkey and black bean chili with scratch-made mac n cheese.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
My signature, leftovers. Fried up some leftover new potatoes with a chopped up left over veggie sausage; heated up the left over stuffed butternut squash and a little bit of veg goulash and garnished it with sour cream and a sprig of basil.

Oatcakes with honey for afters.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Law and order have completely broken down on this stormy, incessantly rainy, quarantine day. So there's been general nonstop grazing but maybe things are normalizing now. A Halo orange, beef veggie soup, swiss cheese, and crackers. I'm finally alone hidden away from the family and dinking along on a possible LM entry.

oatcakes with honey for afters.
Please tell me of these.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
We buy them made, but I have been looking at recipes. A Scottish staple traditionally used rather than bread.

There are various recipes, most are a mix of about two to one pin oats with rolled oats with melted butter, a bit of salt and hot water. You blitz the oats until they get floury, then add the other ingredients to make a sloppy dough. As you knead it the oats absorb the water and when it gets stiff you roll it out thin, then bake in a low oven. The shop type are cut with a round cookie cutter, but traditionally you would make a rectangle and mark it with a knife to break in triangles. Sometimes people add a little milk to bind, sometimes they only use the coarser oatmeal.

Users who are viewing this thread