Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Ma'am

I'm about to make some vegetable lentil soup for dinner tonight and tomorrow night, since after suffering(!) for months to drop ten pounds, I've gained five of it back already, dammit.

I am focusing on the recipes that have like a thousand good reviews. It's not nearly as fun as just tossing everything together on a whim but I am sure it will taste better. :p

Ma'am

Well, the soup is simmering on the stove but of course it is not the original recipe. Because what about these leftover sweet potatoes, this leftover brown rice and are we really going to just waste the celery and this jalapeno pepper, etc. Then, naturally cut the olive oil called for in half because why eat soup if it's high calorie from all that oil... It is never the original recipe!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
It's dark and cold here, encouraging the use of the oven and comfort food. I think I'm going to make a short rib shepherd's pie with mixed white and sweet potato mash on top.

Edit: Well, okay, so I had too much broth/gravy in the bottom layer that took the top potato/garlic/kale layer down to simmer into it and now I have Potato Short Rib Soup with Veggies. Not the configuration I aimed for but still good.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I'm about to make some vegetable lentil soup for dinner tonight and tomorrow night, since after suffering(!) for months to drop ten pounds, I've gained five of it back already, dammit.

I am focusing on the recipes that have like a thousand good reviews. It's not nearly as fun as just tossing everything together on a whim but I am sure it will taste better. :p

Love the way you are focusing on well reviewed recipes, then in your next post tell us all the extras you are adding :) I make soup by frying an onion and then adding most of the things you mention, depending what's around, celery, carrot, sweet potato, an ordinary potato. Then make up a pint of stock with a veggie stock cube, boil it all gently for a bit, and blend.
I decided to cut my sugar intake , for various reasons, and stopped eating cakes and biscuits, putting sugar on cornflakes, having the occasional peppermint, and eating desserts. I lost about 12 pounds in a bit over a month. The doctor was delighted, says it is really good for my liver which is under a bit of pressure from all the meds I take. The missus was worried I was becoming anorexic, but it has all levelled off at about 140 pounds, and my liver elasticity test showed it is really healthy :)

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Tater Tots!!!! Yeah, Tater Tots.... with a LOT of ketchup... I am addicted to Ketchup, and I cannot help it... I did have a microwave Healthy Choice dinner, for lunch, it had chicken and broccoli .... but no Ketchup.... soooo.... I think I will have a chocolate chip cookie for dessert... but without the Ketchup... all though...? nawww... no Ketchup...

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Tater Tots!!!! Yeah, Tater Tots.... with a LOT of ketchup... I am addicted to Ketchup, and I cannot help it... I did have a microwave Healthy Choice dinner, for lunch, it had chicken and broccoli .... but no Ketchup.... soooo.... I think I will have a chocolate chip cookie for dessert... but without the Ketchup... all though...? nawww... no Ketchup...

Tonight, it's gristled crod on toasted groat hock.
From the "Best of Ogre Cooking" recipe book?

I had Cheez-its and peanut M&Ms for dinner but the Cheez-its were reduced fat. :)
There are some seriously interesting approaches to nutrition on these boards. Amazing what the human body can make do with.

I made homemade pizza with scratch-made crust, homemade sauce, and some pepperoni, cheese, and broccoli. A few pickled peppers for interest. Good stuff.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Missus was unwell yesterday so we had my speciality dish, leftovers.

Heated the leftover veg. casserole in the microwave and the cheese cobblers off the top in the oven. Made mash potato with plenty of butter and cooked some broccoli to go with it. Mince pies for afters, the missus makes mincemeat to Delia Smith's Christmas book recipe every year and they are delicious.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Dear Ollie, what the heck is a "Minced pie"..... please don't make me google it, I am too lazy....

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
A mince pie is a little covered tart filled with mincemeat made from various dried fruits and alcoholic liquors, steeped for some time and then dried out for hours in the oven at the minimum temperature. Traditional Christmas fare.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
A mince pie is a little covered tart filled with mincemeat made from various dried fruits and alcoholic liquors, steeped for some time and then dried out for hours in the oven at the minimum temperature. Traditional Christmas fare.

Hummm.... sounds interesting....

Users who are viewing this thread