Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Sinister

Collard Greens cooked with ham hocks and Roast Scarborough Turkey Thighs. A bowl of Acai puree with berries and granola/coconut flakes for dessert.

THIS is me properly breaking-in my new stove.

-Sin

Matchu

That is a very American meal - to my mind.

I can picture collard greens, I have eaten collard greens, like a side portion of cabbage.

I can picture a ham hock.

But then the addition of turkey thighs would make me cry or run out of the room. What about mashed potato? 'Scarborough' turkey thighs - what's that, with respect?

I can't remember what acai is. I'm sure it tastes nice, nicer than that horrific Icelandic skyr that they're marketing over here. Nobody will eat skyr.

I was chef tonight: pork/leeks/green beans/rice/cheese sauce - fat man special. All best, see you.

Sinister

That is a very American meal - to my mind.

I can picture collard greens, I have eaten collard greens, like a side portion of cabbage.

I can picture a ham hock.

But then the addition of turkey thighs would make me cry or run out of the room. What about mashed potato? 'Scarborough' turkey thighs - what's that, with respect?

I can't remember what acai is. I'm sure it tastes nice, nicer than that horrific Icelandic skyr that they're marketing over here. Nobody will eat skyr.

I was chef tonight: pork/leeks/green beans/rice/cheese sauce - fat man special. All best, see you.
Well, the Turkey Thighs are separate, not in the greens. The collard greens are a very Southern American thing, they say. I've always eaten them, so they're second nature to me. Very much a comfort food from childhood. Basically cooked greens that taste of bacon. But Scarborough Turkey thighs, in the respect that they're cooked with Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Like the famous folk song.

As for Mashed Potatoes... They would be a perfect addition, really. I love them. But I both didn't think of em, and am too loopy on cough medicine to trust myself with a peeler. lol

Acai is more of a hippie food, I suppose. But it's something looks a lot like and tastes like a Blueberry. These are premade, though. Bought a package of four frozen bowls of it. Very tasty and supposedly good for you. They're my penance for the Collard Greens with ham hocks. lol

I'm not familiar with Skyr. Sounds interesting, though.

-Sin

Sinister

Ebi nigiri, hamachi nigiri, an unagi maki and some tako sansai. With an Acai bowl for dessert.

Lost two of the greatest Sushi bars in the tristate. One was built primarily to cater to Japanese nationals touring the local Toyota factory. God, it had amazing sushi. It had a great barbeque eel bento, wonderful tonkatsu, and when in the katsu curry it just made your stomach feel hugged. Plus, they stocked some pretty great brands of unfiltered sake. All gone now. Can't even find some decent takoyaki anymore. This sushi'll do, but it's third-best and that's generous.

And yeah, that's right...I left the house today. Had to get some Turkey Day supplies and fresh coffee beans, so I ordered some sushi to go.

-Sin

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Will be having bacon, eggs, black pudding & cauliflower hash browns. Yes, we're having breakfast for dinner! :D
Cauliflower hash browns...
oh my god omg GIF

sounds like you are on the Keto diet :)

Today we are having breaded fish and chips AND maybe mushy peas... courtesy of Iceland Overseas... a rare treat as the price tag is ... I could buy fresh fish cheaper but it is a faff to cook.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Global Moderator
sounds like you are on the Keto diet :)
Not quite but we're trying to keep carbs down. We buy them frozen and they're actually quite nice.
Today we are having breaded fish and chips AND maybe mushy peas... courtesy of Iceland Overseas... a rare treat as the price tag is ... I could buy fresh fish cheaper but it is a faff to cook.
Love fish & chips. If only we could get decent fresh fish but we live at the furthest point from the coast in the UK and the decent stuff rarely becomes available this far inland.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Not quite but we're trying to keep carbs down. We buy them frozen and they're actually quite nice.
I've made them LoL unfortunately, I never put enough curry powder and piri piri in to disguise the taste. You have reminded me I must make some more as I need to go back on the Keto for a month ... I've put on 6kg over the summer.

Have you tried cauliflower rice?