Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Only confusing aurally, vranger. lb is an abbreviation of libra pondo, latin for 'pound weight', so lbs is never £ as in pounds, money.
To add to that, if we hear 'pounds of', we will think of weight rather than currency. We would normally say 'pounds worth of' if we're talking about money as I'm sure Americans do with dollars.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Well the idea is with scrambled eggs it neutralizes the flavor of the green herrings. Alone I don't think I like the taste of green herrings especially with rice. But there are other people who like it in my family. The recipe is easy to make and is worth a try. So with the recipe for me at least, the green herrings don't have a strong flavor which I tend to dislike because it's kind of a pungent flavor without the scrambled eggs (which is neutralized). They are mixed in when the eggs are made I am guessing. However, I also like it since I don't feel hungry since fish has a lot of protein as do eggs. It is also low in fat. So this is a cardiologist that probably recommended it. I eat eggs 3 times a week at least as a meal.

Last edited:

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Well, we were supposed to be having souvlaki but, despite the best before date being the 3rd and it being put in the freezer on Tuesday when it was delivered, it smelled disgusting and went in the bin!

So we had fish fingers in flatbreads.

Matchu

Nothing to eat. My wife giving up on me as a consumer of her food love:

'Some red meat awaits in our fridge or the cat food sat on the shelf,' she said [hicc-hicc, and a v v hicc]

'What about my tummy?'

<<BEYONCE MUSIC>>

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The first missus used to make miso soup for breakfast, it makes a good start to the day.
Last night it was veg casserole with just about everything in, butternut squash, parsnip, turnip, swede, onion, leek, the lot. Cobblers on top and mash potato and cabbage with it.

LadySilence

How? My imagination is trying to decide if that was mashed potato with fried onions, or potato and mushroom sliced finely and layered in a pan then cooked with cream in the oven. :)

Poached egg and fried tomatoes on toast with banana and ice-cream after.
Cook in a pan with a little butter and a little grated cheese.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm making a shrimp and artichoke fettuccine flavoured with garlic and lemon, then dressed with fresh tomatoes and parsley from the garden.

Sinister

No, Ladies and Gentlemen.... The time for talk of home-cooked meals is over. For it is the 18th of September, time to go see a professional.

For on the 18th of September an annual event in my area draws the anticipation of any local human cursed with tastebuds. People always have the few meals of the year that they look forward to the most. Your mind is already thinking of Christmas and Thanksgiving or any regional analog. You give them a spare thought as they draw closer, certainly. Maybe you've already made your mind up about menu or maybe you have the same thing every year. But this meal is the exact same every year...

Because a local Catholic School, every year, fills the countryside with smoke...from the greatest KY BBQ ever. Mutton, Pork, Burgoo, Chicken...all that, they build inside a smoker the size of a train station. An older black man, with a bit of a lanky slump, apron and a chef's hat wielding a sauce-covered mop as a scepter. He rules this land, in September. He is royalty here. He has been slathering racks of meat with a vetted recipe from generations ago and smoking them in September since before I was born.

I was so happy, it only took 1 hour to get it this year and I got four lbs. That's vittles for the next couple of days, for sure. Cheers.

-Sin

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Could've sworn I ordered some chicken to make a curry but nope. So I looked in the fridge. Mushrooms, baby corn, mange tout, peppers. Veggy curry with cauliflower rice and delicious it was.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Vegetable goulash, lovely thick, spicy sauce, made with tomatoes from the garden, mashed potatoe, and probably about the last of this year's runner beans, we might get one more picking with a bit of rain.