Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (1 Viewer)

Matchu

Ham, egg 'n chips. Then afterward a secret chip butty. Then really late I went to eat some of the cheese I bought when I made friends with the cheese man from the cheese shop. It didn't taste of superior cheese really - Lincolnshire poacher/an unpasteurised cheddar/some soft cheese called Chauce. I'd visited him for tellagio [sp] for my wife's exciting sausage/squash lasagne recipe which is now only memories. [good]

I know you ^ made lasagne but I reached saturation with all lasagnes. Lasagnes since 1982. 'Mmmm'...slop, slop, slop on the plate, slop.

Also I told the cheese man about the 'Lincolnshire Poacher.' He didn't register. I apologised for twittering and he said that was all right.

Sinister

My father came by and cooked salsa verde carnitas. It's always good to see him and that dish is a classic. He's going to stay the weekend. Now if I can just convince him to make his General Tso's chicken...

-Sin

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Portabello mushrooms with stilton
There are days I could settle for just the Still.

To conform to the thread ... we had a hamburger, a hot dog, and potato salad for dinner. I grilled brats and a generous supply of hot dogs Thursday, so we're set for wonderful tasting grilled hot dogs for the foreseeable future. :)

Sinister

Roast beef & cheddar sandwiches with horseradish and a homemade dill, garlic and cayenne pickle. Washed down with a diet coke.

-Sin

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Last night we had cauliflower and broccoli cheese, with potatoes, runner beans and tomatoes from the garden. Those just dug potatoes are lovely, I'll eat them on their own. Gooseberry crumble for afters, our gooseberries too, but from the freezer.

Sinister

I have a recipe for chocolate "courgette" bread. It is wonderful. I'm allergic to chocolate, so I can't eat much. But it's worth taking a few Benadryl and some tums.

-Sin

Sinister

A Greek Gyro skillet, with chicken, jackfruit, the aforementioned courgettes, red bell peppers, rice, tomatoes, cukes, kalamata olives and feta.

Never made this dish before, but I usually take a dim view of a "Gyro" recipe without tzatziki sauce. We'll see.

As an aside:
British people: "You yanks say 'herb' like French people!"
Also British people: "Where are my courgettes?"

Had to get that off my chest... That'll show David Mitchell for making fun of my national accent...

-Sin

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Olive ciabatta, spag. and a left over mixed veg thing with added green lentils; stewed plums and cornflakes, and a slice of ginger cake.

Sinister

Pork Tenderloin medallions deep-fried after being dry-rubbed with braised mushrooms and potatoes roasted in the oven and some salad.

Nothing like the exact opposite of a healthy meal once in a great while. Let me tell you something, I'm a rainbow in the dark over here. My presentation game is not tip-top, but I cook these elaborate meals for just myself and coast for days on leftovers. I should've found a partner who likes good food and couldn't or wouldn't cook. It would've been an easy path to appreciation and a step closer to self-actualization. lol

-Sin

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
We just applied a rub and put two pans of ribs in the oven. The local butcher store had ribs on sale last week ... 30 lbs for $25, so I bought two boxes. We vacuum packed and froze all but the ones baking today. Actually, continued to freeze. They came frozen, which made them damned hard to separate rack from rack to package. They'd only bother to put separators between SOME of the racks.

For our British members, that's 30 lbs in weight, which I only mention because of this:
A British couple who are friends of ours visited us in Charlotte many years back. Guy was telling my son and me about his method for creating charcoal. He bragged he could take 10 lbs of wood and turn it into 20 lbs of charcoal. My son and I looked at each other in confusion. This process reminded us of alchemy. How could he end up with double the weight? Then we both tipped at the same moment he was talking Pounds Sterling, not pounds scale. We broke out laughing together, and it was Guy's turn to look confused until I explained what our disconnect had been. :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Only confusing aurally, vranger. lb is an abbreviation of libra pondo, latin for 'pound weight', so lbs is never £ as in pounds, money.