Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are you having for dinner? (2 Viewers)

Ma'am

I wish I knew what gave my soup the off-putting flavor. I suspect it's because I was too lazy to saute the onions first but I'm not sure. :(

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Today we cheated and ate at restaurant. I chose seared tuna and strawberry pavlova.

Tomorrow we BBQ -garlic prawns, meurger sausages and burgers, coleslaw and baked potatoes in their skins.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
Since I didn't take anything out of the freezer, I guess I'll be eating that jerk salmon.
I like salmon...but jerk flavor not so much.
Dang it. I was too busy working this morning.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I picked up some Swordfish steaks yesterday, so I'll pan fry them with a little butter, seasoned with this Zatarain's powder I discovered recently. I'll prolly have some rice on the side.

Helps keep my cholesterol lower than a bucket of lard.

Ma'am

Since trying to reform our eating habits, I feel like it would be more accurate for me to talk about chopping dinner rather than cooking dinner. So, we're having mucho-ingredient salads and micro'd potatoes with toppings on the side: black beans w/taco seasoning, tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapenos and cheese. And I put some store-bought beef and chicken pot pies in the oven for those who like heartier eats.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Tonight OH cooked spare ribs coated in honey. He will now spend the next three days trying to remove the charred remains from the oven tray ...

clark

Staff member
Chief Mentor
Tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving.. We have 51 people coming for dinner tonight. Primaries are three monstrous turkeys and two monstrous spiral hams. My d-in-law is the main cook, coordinating our own kitchen + the ovens of her sister (4 blocks away) and a friend (2 blocks away). My granddaughter's boyfriend is Driver for the day. When Julia screams CAR! he has to sprint to his car, her on his heels--ladle in one hand, bowl of some forgotten sauce or other that has to be added to something or other in one of the remote ovens. In addition to the turkeys and hams, we have maple-infused Brussel sprouts, caramel turnips, garlic-mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, jasmine rice, carrots/peas (ho hum), braised asparagus, three kinds of gravy, homemade sausage rolls (200 of 'em), Scotch eggs, homemade cranberry/red wine sauce, pumpkin and apple pies, a KEG of beer, and two cases of wine. We've had large TG dinners before, but this is a fucking gong show! Excuse me--I have to go peel 35 lbs of potatoes...……(I'm not kidding).

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Enjoy the day, Clark :) We expect a poem dedicated to said potatoes at the end of your potato peeling marathon.

Ma'am

So, did you survive, clark? I was trying to figure out how I'd fit 51 dinner guests into my house and there's no way around some of them having to eat in the bedroom. Then again, if anyone complained I'd make them have it at their house the next time. :p

I am making whole wheat penne pasta with jar spaghetti sauce doctored up with sauteed garlic and onion, and fake meatballs. They're pretty good; they taste like sausage with lots of fennel, but I don't really want to look at the ingredients. Also some green beans and salad.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Moroccan vegetables with cous cous. Mainly root veg and chick peas with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and spice cooked in the oven. The original 'Jamie' recipe had lamb instead of chick peas, but my missus is veggie, and actually they work really well.

Ma'am

Moroccan vegetables with cous cous. Mainly root veg and chick peas with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and spice cooked in the oven. The original 'Jamie' recipe had lamb instead of chick peas, but my missus is veggie, and actually they work really well.

We lean heavily veggie here and that recipe sounds wonderful. Would like to try it, if you get around to posting it. :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon fennel seed
3-4 small chillies
2 thumb size pieces of fresh ginger
sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
4 sweet potatoes
2 red onions
4 cloves garlic
12 ripe cherry tomatoes
a cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
a few dried apricots
a can of chick peas (Garbanzos)
The ingredients can vary a little depending what's in the kitchen, so last night's had courgette (zucchini) and Parsnip and there is usually aubergine (egg plant). if aubergine you need extra olive oil as it absorbs it. You can pound up the cumin and coriander with the ginger, or use powdered and grate the ginger for ease. Chop the veg into pieces about 1/2 to 1 inches depending how fast they cook, so aubergine small for example, then mix them up with the olive oil, spices, bay leaves, cinnamon stick (broken in half so it gets spread around et al (except the chick peas) put in a tray in the oven and cook for 3/4 of an hour gas mark 6 (200 degrees C or 180 fan; 400 degrees F, not sure which you use), then drain the chick peas, stir them in and cook for a further quarter hour. Stir in some chopped coriander (cilantro) or sprinkle it on top, and serve with cous cous, and a couple of generous spoons of natural yoghurt.

Because everything chops up and goes in one pan, and cous cous it just add boiling water, it is actually a pretty quick and easy one to prepare.

Users who are viewing this thread