Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What Are You Doing? (3 Viewers)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I know how you feel, Olly. My daughter who lives in France, set up a charity for Syrian refugees when the war started. Watching the news and pictures of the mothers and children made her cry ... She worked tirelessly for years recruiting volunteers to help the refugees who came to Lyon. She organised lorry loads of clothes, blankets and supplies to be sent to Greece where many refugees landed in dingies etc without sufficient clothes and supplies. At Christmas, she organised presents for the children in the refugee centre in Lyon. Most did not even have paper or writing utensils, a cuddly toy etc. They had nothing while other children gorged themselves on an orgy of presents. Every time we went to visit them I had bags of clothes to sort and repack by size. Her barns and house were stacked with bags and supplies. I still donate to this centre.

There is so much suffering in the world... politicians have a lot to answer for.

kunox

ended up sleeping most of the day and didn't clean much last night.. going to do what I was going to do last night tonight... until 1 am...

kunox

Raging.
I see pictures of devastated cities, piles of broken concrete bombed and shelled out of existence and the people fleeing them become political pawns, pushed about and threatened by armed soldiers and police, camping in filthy, muddy tents as winter comes on and the only people offering them any help at all are repeatedly called "Vile people smugglers" I bet the refugees don't see them that way.

A good friend died and we want to attend the funeral, so wanted some test kits to check we don't have covid before mingling with others. They used to be handed out freely, but not any longer. Now we have record numbers of cases they want you to download an app and spend half an hour filling in on line forms before you can get them, and if you ever want any more you will have to do it again. Could it possibly be that they don't want people taking tests so there won't be so many testing positive? "Just go off and infect a few other people as well, we don't want to know"

How about a bit of humanity instead of catering to the assumed xenophobia of those who might vote for you? How about doing every thing we can to find out what the position is so we can do our best to protect people?

I suppose it is naive of me to think politicians might be humane and rational.
if they were rational they wouldn't really be in politics???? politicians seem to be some of the most easily corruptible people of all but at the same time in he most control.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I know how you feel, Olly. My daughter who lives in France, set up a charity for Syrian refugees when the war started. Watching the news and pictures of the mothers and children made her cry ... She worked tirelessly for years recruiting volunteers to help the refugees who came to Lyon. She organised lorry loads of clothes, blankets and supplies to be sent to Greece where many refugees landed in dingies etc without sufficient clothes and supplies. At Christmas, she organised presents for the children in the refugee centre in Lyon. Most did not even have paper or writing utensils, a cuddly toy etc. They had nothing while other children gorged themselves on an orgy of presents. Every time we went to visit them I had bags of clothes to sort and repack by size. Her barns and house were stacked with bags and supplies. I still donate to this centre.

There is so much suffering in the world... politicians have a lot to answer for.

Well done! You brought that one up properly.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Looking at the weekly trends of COVID cases. Portugal +49%
and we go back into a 'state of calamity' from December 1st. :( We now hunker down for a long winter. Thank God for WF and all my virtual friends. :)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Looks like my little brother will call his firstborn child Oliver Daniel. So he and Olly Buckle will share the same first name. I'll joke and say when he grows up that his name is very similar to the character called Oliver Twist. I am supposed to go to Germany next year which is the country where he is living. That will be in April of next year. I got the news just a few moments ago. Education is inexpensive over there. Learning German can be a challenge.. That's why I imagine he will stay there and since for other reasons. My parents are getting old as well. He wanted to try to therefore have the child as soon as possible. Just before my father's heart operation, he had the idea to have one in mind. I'll spare the rest of the details. My parents want to travel there even though we know there is a pandemic. It's a scary and risky situation.

As for what I was doing I discovered that my text-to-speech can pause between words and sentences. I don't know if that helps with dyslexia but I will give it a try. I know I can process the information better for a story and check for a typo when I take my time. That is the slower the voice talking the better chance I'll detect a typo.

Last edited:

Sinister

Ate like a happy pig today...lots of food. But I've had a massive all-encompassing headache and neckache that has ground the day to a painful standstill. I've used heating bags, mentholated deep-heat rubs, hot baths, caffeine and neck stretches. As a last resort, I'm waiting on meds to kick in.

Still, today as far as Thanksgivings go, minus the headache, was a success.

Hope everyone had a great day and stayed safe.
-Sin

kunox

I got 2000-ish steps in.. my mood is going up hill. it will last a while at least... I got so much to do in this time that it is overwhelming...
update 1.. I am up to 4445 steps.... I will be doing mainly at night now.... I swear.. I am glad to be in a better mood... I will do a short list of 2 to 3 pages... 8000 steps and some audio book reading...

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Looks like my little brother will call his firstborn child Oliver Daniel. So he and Olly Buckle will share the same first name. I'll joke and say when he grows up that his name is very similar to the character called Oliver Twist. I am supposed to go to Germany next year which is the country where he is living. That will be in April of next year. I got the news just a few moments ago. Education is inexpensive over there. Learning German can be a challenge.. That's why I imagine he will stay there and since for other reasons. My parents are getting old as well. He wanted to try to therefore have the child as soon as possible. Just before my father's heart operation, he had the idea to have one in mind. I'll spare the rest of the details. My parents want to travel there even though we know there is a pandemic. It's a scary and risky situation.

As for what I was doing I discovered that my text-to-speech can pause between words and sentences. I don't know if that helps with dyslexia but I will give it a try. I know I can process the information better for a story and check for a typo when I take my time. That is the slower the voice talking the better chance I'll detect a typo.
When I was a child no-one was called Oliver, but every one knew the name because of Oliver Twist and Oliver Cromwell, I rarely met a new kid without them referencing one or the other. Things are changed a bit now, it has been one of the most popular names going for a while now, so he should have some backing.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Ate like a happy pig today...lots of food. But I've had a massive all-encompassing headache and neckache that has ground the day to a painful standstill. I've used heating bags, mentholated deep-heat rubs, hot baths, caffeine and neck stretches. As a last resort, I'm waiting on meds to kick in.
I suffer with headaches so I eventually went to the outpatients at the private hospital. The locum I saw that day happened to be a neurologist. I showed him the packet of 1000g paracetamol I'd been taking. He looked at the box then threw it back at me across the table and said 'Merde' and shook his head. Okay, he was French and had no English. He prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory drug then drew a diagram of my head and nerves coming up from my back into my head. Needless to say, I wore a puzzled expression so he called for an English speaking nurse who then explained the nerve endings were inflamed.

I have also discovered ... and please don't laugh ... when I feel these headaches coming on, I wear a woolly hat to keep my head warm. This usually stops the headache from progressing. I don't why it works but it does.

Sinister

Mine is a cervicogenic headache. I fell asleep in my recliner, playing Chrono Trigger on SNES. I do that alot, unfortunately. I happened to have some muscle relaxants on hand and that usually de-kinks my neck after a bit. Just didn't really want to dip into them at Turkey Day.

But it's all good now. And I even got to keep the rest of the bird! Can you believe that? My family handed me this giant Turkey and was like: "Here, you live by yourself. You finish eating this dinosaur of a Turkey." Anyone here familiar with Hot Browns?

1358448753567.jpeg

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
But it's all good now. And I even got to keep the rest of the bird! Can you believe that? My family handed me this giant Turkey and was like: "Here, you live by yourself. You finish eating this dinosaur of a Turkey." Anyone here familiar with Hot Browns?
Think of it as a positive. You could write a book: 50 Ways to Overdose on Turkey ... sorry Brit humour