Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What Are You Doing? (1 Viewer)

TMarie

Been awake since 1:27 a.m. Got out of bed at 2:39 a.m. Thought I would get into a creative space of writing, but nah, drank coffee and journaled a wee bit. It's now 4:58 and I'm tired but amped up on caffeine ... not really a good mix, but ahh well, sometimes that's how the day begins

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
You are doing what I would do in your situation.

Anyways, I bought the art of styling sentences. This is to practice sentence structure. It is used in high school and colleges. I never think about my choices when constructing a sentence. Hopefully when I do the exercises I will memorize it. I am probably going to pick up some books next monday ( not tommorow). I just recently bought this book.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Finished editing that script and made the video, just posted it from YouTube to facebook. In between I dug over a bit of ground this afternoon and cleared a lot of brambles around the base of the oak tree 'finding' all the cyclamen blooming there, cleared out one half of a greenhouse and dug over where the cucumber had been, very successful that was. Cut up a lot of stick rubbish into lengths for the incinerator, quite busy for a Sunday.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
What am I doing tonight? Thinking about a friend.

COVID-19 just got a lot more personal for us. I've had connection to a few COVID-19 deaths before, but the closest connection was "friend of a friend". Tonight I found out that a neighbor who has become a friend this year died from the disease late last week. Family of his in Charleston all got sick, he went down to help out, caught it, was bad enough to put on a ventilator, and died.

Hal was a gentle soul. He lived with his mother who has congestive heart failure and took care of her, too. His twin brother died from a blood clot a few years ago, so now her family support system is almost non-existent. He didn't have a vehicle, and wanted to buy one of our extras. I've taken him down to the corner market several times. We chatted on and on, at times, like friends and neighbors do, and Hal could talk your ear off. He always had not one story, not two, but a dozen or more. He's done some work for me ... he was retired, but always needed some extra income, and I helped him out when he asked.

This still isn't real for me, though I know the fact. I still think I should be able to walk out to the mailbox tomorrow afternoon, and see Hal at his. We'd smile and wave, and maybe one of us would cross the highway to talk a while. Or maybe I'd see him coming back from the pond behind us with a string of bass. I'd go over and he'd brag about the big one, and how he was going to cook them this time.

There was no reason for Hal to die. He was healthy, fit, and in his early 60s. Flu wouldn't have killed him, shingles didn't kill him (it's rare, but there is a mortality risk), and an earlier bout of COVID-19 this summer didn't kill him. In fact, he said it didn't make him all that sick. I believe he thought he had immunity, since he had it so recently ... or wasn't concerned because of that experience.

He didn't have immunity, and now he's dead.

Take this seriously. Please.

Last edited:

TMarie

I live in small-town Canada and for the most part, Covid hasn't touched my life other than hearing about other people's stories. The longer this goes on, the closer to home the stories become. The virus raged through my daughter's household in September with my two little grandchildren getting it. Thankfully, everyone has recovered without hospitalization. However, what I'm seeing now is the mental recovery that my daughter is going through. She is double vaccinated and was the sole caregiver of her husband and two kids, then of course got it herself.

Reading your post vranger reminds me that we are all affected to some degree by Covid, not just physically, so yes agreed, take this seriously.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Take magnesium if you want and have problems sleeping. I take 500 mgs when I cannot go to sleep.

I exercised for one hour on a stationary bicycle that has a small place to put my kindle. I was reading this website as I did exercises.

Matchu

I’m sitting at a real quiet posting.

The only difference in my demeanour to my last time I posted here is that now I am a boss. Not that there is anybody to boss at the moment tho I will utilise my bossness later in the day perhaps? You probably won’t identify with this post especially - there is fewer necessarily - or less- of us boss-types about the place, the world.

It is a great responsibility upon my heavy head. Be assured I shall spend my extra fifty pence an hour wisely etcetera…

also I have no wife because she’s been summoned to family/medical duties. I decided to talk to my phone a while, like a new friend or junior colleague.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I’m sitting at a real quiet posting.

The only difference in my demeanour to my last time I posted here is that now I am a boss. Not that there is anybody to boss at the moment tho I will utilise my bossness later in the day perhaps? You probably won’t identify with this post especially - there is fewer necessarily - or less- of us boss-types about the place, the world.

It is a great responsibility upon my heavy head. Be assured I shall spend my extra fifty pence an hour wisely etcetera…

also I have no wife because she’s been summoned to family/medical duties. I decided to talk to my phone a while, like a new friend or junior colleague.
Matchu, you may be an acquired taste, but I'm just about all the way there. ;-)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I have finally come to the conclusion that people can collect words from any source. That is for the purpose of adding details to a story and creating setting. You take it from as many different sources you can. Maybe you use a thesaurus. That way you can write description without physically being in the setting. That way you can if you express it differently it doesn't pass off as imitation. So it looks like my quest to describe has finally ended. I was I influenced by the approaches of Ann hart. she rewrites poems using many sources for children's books.

Use this advice kunox to add detail where it is a needed. Of course one can watch anime or a movie to understand the concept of movement and proceed to describe it by narrating. I don't think you need Ann hart's book. It cost me 4 dollars.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I have finally come to the conclusion that people can collect words from any source. That is for the purpose of adding details to a story and creating setting. You take it from as many different sources you can. Maybe you use a thesaurus. That way you can write description without physically being in the setting. That way you can if you express it differently it doesn't pass off as imitation. So it looks like my quest to describe has finally ended. I was I influenced by the approaches of Ann hart. she rewrites poems using many sources for children's books.

Do you remember The Backward Ox ? He was an Australian and he called my description of the Outback in 'Hunter' as outstanding, 'He wouldn't have thought it possible for someone who had never been to Australia, maybe only for a native Australian.' It is the very first video on my YouTube channel, not perfect, it was the first, but if you listen you will see I carefully didn't describe anything specifically. It evoked a scene for him, but that came from him, not me, that was why he found it so good. Being too specific can ruin the illusion.
I am sorry, I don't know why it keeps putting your name on what I type

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Thank you for sharing your advice. I know I mean making a list of words from various works. I always lack details. Which really makes my writing stale according to some readers. There are so many genres. I am not overly familiar with backward ox. But that is a great compliment. Usually for instance if I want to describe a chair I don't have the vocabulary. And maybe collecting words is what I needed to to do. There are many genres of fiction and nonfiction. Collecting words makes your vocabulary bigger and makes your style look more sophisticated and interesting. If I need ten works to draw inspiration from I won't use the detail the same way. Writers borrow from other writers. Even plots are changed by changing an aspect of the story such as theme character and so on. That is one of the reasons they say plot is never original. David martell argues you could could come up with your own plot by changing important parts of the story and rewrite it. It is no longer the same story then. He gives examples of movies that follow this method of substitution.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
One last thing. I thought my book from the UK was lost but instead is getting to the post office very late. If that is the case I will have some composition tools or tips I could use for fiction. If it is helpful unlike the other books I could recommend it. It has writing exercises.

That will be past Monday. I need to go visit my grandparent's house firstly and that will be on the weekend.

So depending if the exercises and if the book is easy to use it will be recommended. I will post a small sample or excerpt for those with language difficulties.