Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What Are You Doing? (2 Viewers)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
This afternoon my wife and I watched an episode of "The Hustler". It's a game show where one of five contestants is "The Hustler". The object is for other contestants, though a series of clues and observing each others' behavior, to determine which is the The Huster. If they do, the other contestants split money. If they don't, The Hustler gets all the money the group accumulates when they answer trivia questions correctly.

In the episode we just watched, one of the clues revealed The Hustler has published eight young-adult novels. A few minutes later, one of the contestants said that the only writing she does is in her journal in the morning. Another contestant asked, "Is that when you do your plot outlines?" Who talks about plot outlines if you're not engaged in writing? LOL I tagged that guy as The Hustler as soon as he asked the question, and it turned out ... he was. By the way, he fooled the other contestants and won the money. ($140k)

Sinister

Grinder and fruit press just came in. I have cinnamon in my oil diffuser. I am ready for fall. But I am also really ready for fall. I've got my classical music playing on Alexa and am about to make Waldorf Chicken Salad for tonight.

It figures the most normal day I've had this week is Friday the 13th.

EDIT: Some assembly is most definitely required. Which is fine...if the nuts and screws come threaded properly, which they didn't! ><;

RE-EDIT: So the press came without a press... Makes sense when you think about it. See, what I did receive was...a metal bucket, a mesh bag and a weight. I guess they figured in case you would want to buy the fruit press, y'know, a piece at a time, which is...just...I mean, is really convenient and considerate of them. What was I saying about Friday the 13th? I am now making myself a conciliatory brandy cocktail. Anyone want one?

-Sin

Last edited:

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Tonight (and for the last few nights) I've been working hard to put together and polish my nonfiction book on writing flash fiction. I thought the project might have been pushed aside or maybe even dropped but then a few days ago I got a note from my editor asking when I can have it finished. He says he's ready to publish it. I told him it would take me about a month to make sure it's in tip-top shape. So now I'm working frantically to get it all together. I'm quite excited about getting the opportunity, but what a lot of hard work. I thought the research and the writing of the book was hard work (and it was) but as t turns out, so is the proofing and polishing. But there's no better way I'd like to spend my time.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Sitting in the garden and eating breakfast while listening to birdsong and the sound of a castrated cockerel rounding up his harem. The dog has adopted me as his new best friend and keeps nudging me to throw his ball so he can fetch, bring it back, rinse and repeat. I taught him a new trick last night.

I should be preparing my entry for the poetry challenge but I am struggling with the prompt.

Last edited:

Matchu

In defence of cockerels - he won't be a 'castrated' cockerel. He may have that big spiky claw clipped to the base, ouch, and if he is a rescue cock the corporation might have clipped his beak but the gonads will remain up inside his body.

I feel much better - displaying great wisdom on cocks & roosters (USA). No creature on earth more persecuted than the male chicken. 99% of male chicks sluiced at -24 hours of age.

To my shame I retain memories of stalking chicken pens hunting out 'sexing errors,' the boy chickens among 10 000 hens. Early days everybody the same until eventually you see the confusion in his eyes.

Disconcerting for the lads this gradual comprehension among hens slender and feminine. Their heads peek above the flock, their ankles quite stocky, the musculature's perceptible bulk, knobbly knees - only to the trained eye really. They die because they don't lay eggs.

[...the 10 000 chickens go to the next farm in the process and the next generation of eggs are laid, hatch and those are the birds we eat. It doesn't matter what sex they are at the next farm. It's a series of 'stages' - golden rooster no 1 lives in the Netherlands, I think.]

Also possible basis to some novel down the line like an Atwood. Honestly, I tried with chicken stories years ago only made university sub-eds cry. The death business and the spelling also...

Last edited:

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Currently trying to finish editing a chapter whilst simultaneously checking the feed from my ring doorbell as I'm expecting a delivery.

Last edited:

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I picked 2 & 1/2 — 5 gallon buckets of peaches yesterday off of my one peach tree. There is still that much more on the tree. Call my youngest daughter and asked if they wanted some peaches. They said they'd pick them. Today we canned 1 bucket of peaches. We will do another bucket on Monday. Got to do grocery shopping tomorrow before the heat overtakes us. It is fall and harvest time. But the Peruvian daffodil can't figure out what's happening; it's booming here in California's fall because it's spring in Peru. Fall's grace seems to come in different measures of taste, for the eye and for the tongue.

Daffodil Peruvian -2.5 4045.jpg

Photo by RH Peat — Peruvian Daffodil.

Last edited:

Sinister

Finished watching Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman. I wanted Manny to win and he did...but. What the hell bout did the judges watch? Thurman was knocked to the mat early and Manny had, let's say, the first four rounds. But I'm sorry, the rest of the fight told a different story. I just don't see it. Thurman landed more hits per punch, threw more punches and dominated a far longer stretch of rounds. I'm glad Manny won, because I like him, but I can't help but feel Thurman was robbed.

-Sin

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Currently, I am researching some new approaches to narrative writing. I am having a lot of trouble narrating a short story I am writing (needs to be rewritten). I have a bad habit of not narrating events, not making it visual, and summarizing the information. I want it to be narrated. So I found just one book on the topic that is in print. The other one I suspect will never be reprinted since it goes for 1000 dollars. Prose writing can be demanding for me to get it right. So I sometimes watch some news videos to get a sense of what I can narrate as an event and research it afterwards to understand how to dramatize the event in a story. So far planning to order some books to pick up some hints and tips. That's how I came up with the strategy to use YouTube to see news stories. I will eventually flesh out the events if I find a personal narrative on the internet of someone in a similar situation.

I also will adopt a new research method for characterization. All this takes time. I hope I can keep the same level of motivation I had when I was writing it. (increased the font size to make sure I could write this post error-free)

This book has a big section on how to narrate stories.

The Sundance Writer: A Rhetoric, Reader, Research Guide, and Handbook​

Last edited:

Sinister

I'm looking through the old schoolhouse behind my house. I have been looking up and down for an old book of fairy tales that I had when I was little. It was mauve and illustrated, but for the life of me I cannot remember if it was Grimm's or Hans Christian Anderson. Hell, it could've been Andrew Lang. It was a tall book with a hardcover and had the most beautiful and terrifying artwork. I'd have guessed it to be anywhere from the 1960s to the 1980s by year of publication. The mauve cover had a print of flowers over it and a single centered piece of illustration.

So frustrated.

I did have this old book at one point:

1629759045333.png

-Sin

Sinister

I am trying to arrange and clean my house. One house, inhabited by one person, should be easy to clean, right? Maybe that changes when that one person has 3 dogs, 1 cat and is trying to make pear cider. I have to take the cat box out, clean a giant Labrador, cook some sort of food for supper and vacuum the metric ton of hair these creatures shed in my house.

Oh well, I love them all the same. Nero(Wolfe) the Labrador, Loki and Ozymandias(Ozzy), the Chihuahua twins and Yadier(Yadi), the Maine Coon. Couldn't have better, if lazier, companions. lol

-Sin

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I'm trying to figure out how to ask for help. I'm lonely and miserable, but I have no idea how to move out of my introverted habits. Everything hurts.
Turnbull

Stop living in the past, and start living in the present. You can't change the past but you can change the future by taking action in present time. One thing will start the ball rolling, and that's releasing what's held, to roll, to move, to shift, to recreate, to exchange, to etc. Only, you can do that, for you are the only one that knows what that is. Anyone on the outside can only point you in a direction. But you have the consciousness to know what direction is the means for you in your life; so let what is being held move away from you. Let go!

Being a writer helps, for you can write about your problem until it surfaces. You can write yourself out of the maze. It may have many facets, but in the end; you end up with a lot of great work on your writing as well as a greater understanding of yourself. That makes it all a win/win situation.

So it begins with letting go of the held ball of wax. Like the first pitch of the game. Believe that you can do it, and you will do it, for we are never given anything that we can't handle. Recognizing what it is becomes the problem. But writing will pull that out. Writing, takes your action and no one else's to start the game plan for changing who you are. Besides if another tried to change you; you would automatically rebel and say no don't tell me that, because it your identity and never theirs. So just let go of everything you're holding onto. You will be amazed when you come out the other side. You're not the first one to have these feelings on the planet. So don't think you're alone at all.

Just know this figuratively: if both hands are full in the present — it's impossible to pick up something new. So you have to let go of something old to pick up something new. That's an action that only you can do and make into something to believe. After all it is your game plan, so take the first action and let go of something you're holding onto. try the first thing that jumps into your head, and write about it. Then post it for critique.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm trying to figure out how to ask for help. I'm lonely and miserable, but I have no idea how to move out of my introverted habits. Everything hurts.
I've been there. What I learned is that it had less to do with being an introvert, but more to do with depression. And it's like any other illness, you have to take some steps to feel better. Reaching out for help is the first step. We are here for you, so if you get lonely just reach out.

Things that have helped me:
1) Getting into a regular exercise routine. I have been told by a doctor that 20 minutes of an accelerated heartbeat is equal to one anti-depressant.
2) Having a purpose. Writing...writing...writing.
3) Engaging with a support group. Like, contributing to the WF discussions.
4) Accepting it to a degree. Many artistic people suffer from bouts of depression.

Take care.

Last edited:

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Hey Turnbull

Lightning in the Storm

There are no accidents
in the universe.
With cosmic understanding
you took a breath and shouted
into the wilderness;
an echo
replied "wake up!
The dream is over"
Darkness melts
and voices speak to you,
as song rallys around you.

ranger,
Taylors,
Pamelyn Casto,
thegalssteahouse,
sinister,
and
RH Peat.

You better start writing, you have accumulated some readers.
WF is a great place to be when you're lonely; there is friend around every corner.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited:

Turnbull

Thanks everyone for responding. Sometimes the best help is just knowing that people care and having them react to your problems.

I've been there. What I learned is that it had less to do with being an introvert, but more to do with depression. And it's like any other illness, you have to take some steps to feel better. Reaching out for help is the first step. We are here for you, so if you get lonely just reach out.

Things that have helped me:
1) Getting into a regular exercise routine. I have been told by a doctor that 20 minutes of an accelerated heartbeat is equal to one anti-depressant.
2) Having a purpose. Writing...writing...writing.
3) Engaging with a support group. Like, contributing to the WF discussions.
4) Accepting it to a degree. Many artistic people suffer from bouts of depression.

Take care.

Thanks. Normally I'm generally a happy person, and am able to recognize that these depressive feelings don't belong to me. Lately it's just been bad, though. I think it has to do with some medical stuff, so hopefully it'll go away once I'm done with surgery.