Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What Are You Doing? (2 Viewers)

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
RHPeat, you're amazing. Wish I could see your orchard!

Thank you for the dehydrator idea. I'm trying to get an herb garden going. Once I win the battle with the squirrels I'm going to have more than I can use. Was thinking of hanging to dry but we're so humid here, a dehydrator would make for a fine solution.
A dehydrator is cheap when you consider it will last for many years. Ours had 8 racks inside. It's circular and rotates while drying the leaves or seeds. It doesn't get real hot and my wife just sets it on the end of the counter where there is a plug and just lets it run day and night and it doesn't that that long at all.

My mother was a hippie in denial--she canned everything out of her 2 acre garden on the stovetop. After we moved, we treasured those canned goods like gold--nothing like them in the stores. 5 years later, they tasted as fresh as the day we canned them. But I only remember how to can the tomatoes & how to make peach jelly. Never used a pressure cooker. But I was looking at pressure cookers at Farm & Fleet yesterday so maybe this is an omen...
We treasure our canning as well if the grown kids don't take them. I got angry about it one year because we did all this canning and then they took it and we didn't last the winter without having to buy canned fruit. That was wrong and I told my wife not to be doing that any longer. We break our backs picking harvesting peeling. jarring, and then canning and end up with just a few jars. It was crazy. Her son came up from the basement where we keep the jars cool on shelve with a load of our canning and I asked him where he was when I was climbing a ladder to pick the fruit? Where was he when we did all the work of canning? I said do we still have 24 jars of each thing down there for twice in each month to taste them? He said he didn't count the jars. I said well maybe you should do that so your mother and I can taste the fruit of our labor that you are just ripping off.
...the sounds of childhood!
Yah, it is good feeling to hear the canning jars pop.
I have been thinking about composting in place. Do you have any problems with squirrels/skunks/racoons digging them up? Any odors?
My wife composts everything that is organic in the kitchen. It goes into a small stainless steel bucket by the sink. When that's full we put in A Japanese type muncher that lets it rot with a bacteria that's added. Then I bury it in the garden. I'm constantly digging little trenches about 4 foot long and 3 feet deep dumping it in and covering it over. I generally wet the ground ahead of time in the summer. Makes it easier to do.
My Great-Grandmother would simmer the chopped apples on low all day, no mashing or blending. Keep a little red skin in with them to add a blush of pink, and for a smoother texture add butter. But if you add butter, she'd say that batch couldn't be canned. I add cardamom & enjoy warm over ice cream.
Cook the apples and put them in a stainless steel bowl and take a hand blender and it done in no time. With two people one is doing the blending and another is ladling into the jars by the time she's done I've got more her to do. If you want to doctor up your apple sauce or apple butter try two cloves in the jar or add a table spoon of cinnamon to the blender concoction. It's great either way. It's still great over Ice Cream. But we don't eat much Ice Cream because of our age.
Ah, and that's where I need a nurseryman. I've noticed that much of what's sold around here comes up from down south, but we're right on the edge of zone 4. Why they do that I don't know--makes me afraid anything I buy that I can't source will freeze & die on me. I found a nice little patio tree with 4 different cherry varieties grafted onto one tree BUT--guess what--where I'm at is too cold! I'm determined to find a sweet cherry that can survive the winters here...
If you buy miniature trees you can buy thin felt blanket at the nursery. You only have to cover the tops and the leave of the tree. I only do it is the weather report says it's going to freeze. I only do it to the evergreen fruits Citrus Fruits. can freeze. Any thing deciduous will be fine. This is timpical of all trees that lose their leaves in the fall. They won't freeze. Citrus comes in the fall general where I live, and pomegranates are last of percephonie's curse. Why she has to return to the underworld. She comes with Jonquils the first to bloom but she returns in the fall with ripening of the pomegranates. I have written so many poems about this because I have both on my property and I see it all happening. It takes a really deep ground freeze to kill the roots of a tree. If the lose their leave the sap stops running and the that's the time to prune and cut back as well for fruit trees. Only fruit barring evergreen trees need to be protect from freezing. In California the large orchard use smudge pots. Oil heaters out in the rows of trees. Or electric in some cases. Solar powered now. I just use these thin felt tarps that cover their tops and I tie them to the trunk below. with twine. I have the twine tied to the 4 corners of the tarp. Each one gets pulled in a different direction over the top of the tree that way. No stakes require and freezing doesn't happen until winder and the fruit is picked in the late fall. Mandarin oranges are just fantastic fruit and I get some much off of my 6 trees Mandarin Oranges, one Blood-Orange, one Myres Lemmon and one Myres Lime — all miniature trees that we can't eat it all we actually send the six kid a box of fruit for the Hollidays. Hawaii, Idaho, and two in California. One I can have her pick her own. I just give her a plastic bag and tell her to fill it.
Yes, grafting isn't hard to do. Assuming, of course, you've got the plant materials to work with. I didn't know that about black walnut as a rootstock--good to know. I should ask when I buy what the root stock is.
Yes you want to do that. There are other root stocks too, but ask them at the nursery and talk to them about what is best for your area. They are always helpful to me. After all they want to sell you the material. But if you're doing stump grafts you want to got and talk to someone with an orchard and just ask to pick up some of their clippings. If want different plums that might have those in one orchard grouped in different places. then you need cold tar after you graft the stump. If you know what the cambium layer is than it should be any problem. You just cut the clipping to about 5 inches with at least 4 or more buds on it. Then you slice the stock in small area at the bottom at an angle showing part of the cambium all the way around the that twig. then you want to slip the wedge down between the bark and the cambium on the tree trunk so that the cambium of each is touching. About for or 5 things will make a good tree. They will grow fast in the spring. Those twigs with become the hight of head where the tree branches out in different directing, and eventually it will all fill in. but the graft will only take if that cambium is touching on both sides. But the little wedge shape will help draw sap when it begins to run as well. But the open part of the stump need protecting from ants and other insects. So you can just cover that with cold tar. Just think enough to cover the area with no wood exposed where the old tree was cut off. two years you should have fruit with plums because of the full root system for the old tree the new one will grow faster than a new sealing. Remember plums take two years grow to produce. An unpruned sampling needs to be planed and cut off for height of head so check for bud down low on the stock of the sapling if you by one.
Yes, I've seen apple orchards here maintained at a nice u-pick height. To maximize my use of the yard, I'm planning on planting under a wire & pruning to a weeping form where I have overhead wires. But it depends on what I want to plant. I know I can do that with my mulberries.
We had good blue berries for about 3 years until the deer came and mowed them down to nothing.
Yes, that's what the doctor told my Great-Grandmother when she went in for falling off the ladder while picking apples. After that, she'd look both ways down the street to make sure her neighbors weren't watching before setting up her ladder. Although, I seem to recall her grumbling that she wasn't using a ladder when she fell out of the tree, but I think she got the point. (She was in her 80's!) Personally, I'm not too keen on ladders, either.
Well moving ladder is a chore and if you do it for awhile it can become tiring. it depends on how much you have to pick and how high the trees are. I have a small 4 foot ladder and a 10 foot ladder. That's 3 legged ladders which you put through he crotch of the tree. That's another reason of a low height of head on the tree.
Okay, help me out here. I am thinking of buying dwarfed. So, if it's the same sort of tree, two of the same can share a hole? That is a really, really great idea. Any spacing concerns when sharing the same hole? (I.e., is the distance between trunks a concern?)
Yes a dwarf tree is a miniature same thing. I have six dwarf mandarin orange trees and they are enough to fill our refrigerator compartments for 3 months of oranges and my wife eats one every morning in the winter. When they are not in season she buys them at the store. I wouldn't put to dwarfs in the same hole. they don't take up that much space. Fun size trees yes plant to to a hole. And if you're going to plant cherry trees do plant two trees in the same hole because of pollination. Cherries have to cross pollenate. the pollen form one Side needs to get to the other side and vis versa. With something like plums you don't want to do that because you'll create weird plums. They cross breed. Sometimes they make really great plums however. It depends of the varieties you do together.
Thank you. I've been reading up on this for two months now and you're the first to mention it.
No problem, I studied Ag for a while in high school because my family live in an agricultural area of nothing but fruit farms. Plus I had an Uncle that had a commercial Bartlett Pear farm. When I was in my teens in the summer I worked in packing houses moving freight, stack railroad cars with plums and pears crates shipped back east. Dump fruit on sorting tables for woman that packed the boxes full of fruit. I say every kind of plum and pear out there.
Yes, I said the same thing! I found this in my state's natural resources publication guide on backyard trees. I know what they're saying but I disagree. We moved here from So Cal & there (much as you've described your climate is like) many people had very productive backyard trees. FIND - Food In Need of Distribution - would send out volunteer workers to harvest the fruit & they would redistribute it to all the homeless shelters. I still need to do my research here, but after I harvest what I want, all the rest of it I want to pack and deliver to a local shelter. One thing I have learned is this is NOT So Cal. Recently I was told that it doesn't work that way here. But back to the vermin. A well-cared-for orchard doesn't draw vermin. My childhood town had vineyards and cherry orchards within city limits and even within the downtown area. I grew up next to a cherry orchard so know a well-kept orchard doesn't have to draw 'vermin'. And no, I don't recall the guide identifying the 'vermin'. The gist I got was that the state discourages backyard fruit trees. I have to research the city's code next.
California is sub tropical so just about any kind of crop will grow here. If you just moving fruits and veggies locally you don't need to pack it at all just box it in cardboard boxes. Let the people that distribute the food bag it for the homeless. and sort it how they want to. Otherwise it's a wasted cost for if you pack it they will just unpack it. You're talk about donations. Now if you were talking about a chain of commercial markets then I'd say you want to pack it. But donations are quite another thing. Maybe washing the food is all you need to do. It depends on how much mud or dirt is on the corp you plan to deliver and where it's being deliver too.
Exactly.

Yes, I asked my neighbor how he felt planting an apple tree so close to his fence (about 6 feet away). Of course, I also invited him to as much fruit as they wanted. He was excited--he loves apples!
Six feet and he'll have apples in his yard. Think about that. Will he like them falling in his yard. 8 feet from the fence and a full grown tree he still might have a few fall in his yard. Take a look at the trees in peoples yard for shade. Fruit trees are no different. Take a carpenters tape measure and go out an measure their leaf span. That is also the drip line for root system as well. which is very important. you don't want to cover a trees root system. It will kill it of stunt its growth. There is as much of the tree below the ground as above the ground. Orchard systems have intwined roots — Standard apple trees need 30 to 35 feet (9-11 m.) this means that each tree has at least a 15 ft. span. Standard trees are 30 ft. between trees, while semi-dwarf apples require 15 feet (5 m.) and dwarf apples need only 10 feet (3 m.) These trees won't grow over a 8 ft. fence at all. The tops of them might be seen from the other side where they round off. Peach trees should be spaced 20 feet (6 m.).
Well, this is a bit longer than intended but thank you for all that you shared! You've given me some things I need to look into before buying. Besides, maybe now when the kids ask what I want for Christmas, I can tell them I want a dehydrator! 🙂
There you go. They be wanting the spices as well. So make them buy it for you.

a poet friend
RH Peat

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Megan

anytime send me a note if you want to get a hold of me. I'm usually on boards in the evening Standard Pacific Time that's around 9 -10 my time.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I was looking at medialexie's software (medialexie scribe) a few moments ago on youtube (a video had a person speaking in french). I am contemplating it as a future purchase. Medialexie scribe has a sentence predictor for dysgraphia and I wonder how that could work. I hope it predicts the parts of speech in a sentence. I don't know if I need it. However, I could always try a free trial. The version I own is the only software that works for me. At least that is what I think. My computer can barely run it. I don't expect my computer to last more than a year since it is 3 years old. But when that happens I will be able to install it on a new computer.

Megan Pearson

Hey, thanks RHPeat! I'm CST & my schedule is chaotic. When I get home (I've been dog sitting) I will post a pic of my mulberry tree. It's nothing much, but I'm thrilled it's still alive after having dug it up last year. Waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl before I decide to plant it. So far it's doing ok in its pot.

You'd think dog sitting you'd have all the time in the world to write, right? At least, that's what I thought...

RHPeat

Met3 Group Leader
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Hey, thanks RHPeat! I'm CST & my schedule is chaotic. When I get home (I've been dog sitting) I will post a pic of my mulberry tree. It's nothing much, but I'm thrilled it's still alive after having dug it up last year. Waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl before I decide to plant it. So far it's doing ok in its pot.

You'd think dog sitting you'd have all the time in the world to write, right? At least, that's what I thought...
Wow, That's something I don't grow that I really like Mulberries. I live for mulberry pie, and never see it at all.
a poet friend
RH Peat.

Mish

We are in lockdown again thanks to delta variant. Can't go anywhere so I have some lockdown blues. But I should feel lucky being healthy and all, plus I got my first vaccine shot. It's just as NIN said "everyday is exactly the same".

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
We are in lockdown again thanks to delta variant. Can't go anywhere so I have some lockdown blues. But I should feel lucky being healthy and all, plus I got my first vaccine shot. It's just as NIN said "everyday is exactly the same".
I understand the lockdown blues well. our rural bubble in the western algarve escaped the high R rate area until recently. Now we are are categorised as very high risk. Our area can't go into lockdown at the moment because the tourists want to party. It grinds my gears that we have given up so much with early lockdowns etc to now have our safety squandered by an influx of holiday germites from all over Europe.

On a positive note previous lockdowns brought our immediate community closer together as we formed support bubbles... also had more time to write and work in the garden.

Although we are double vaccinated we still have the risk assessment mentality before going into shops etc as we were originally shielding ... do the new variants bring new risks as COVID mutates? It is the unknown and living under the constant shadow of fear and associated stress that is driving me crazy.

Hang in their Mish.

The Green Shield

WF Veterans

Watching Hood Nature. I never thought I'd be so interested in a ten-minute long video where the narrator describes animals such as, 'walking example of why we can't have nice things', 'huge tusks that will violate your insides', 'these [orca whales] giant steroid-fueled murder dolphins love murking sea lions and hurling them into the air just for fun because of course they do.'

Matchu

I used to be very positive about jam but arrived at something of a crossroads after witnessing the mystery processes of jam’s production (among my hippies). I’m thinking one might as well spread a half kilo of sugar over the toasts. Sugar being infantile & a degenerate pleasure, alcohol aside. Focussing toward a more marmite future with the simple salty butter excess, bacon, black pudding, eggs upon fried bread.

The Green Shield

WF Veterans
So I just contacted my endocrinologist and her peeps about getting a genetic test to see if I actually have CHARGE syndrome. Now let's see what happens next.

EDIT: I exhibit classic signs of CHARGE such as lopsided ear, hearing loss, vision loss, lack of smell, delayed puberty, and small testes but I wanted to make sure if this were actually CHARGE and not some random combination of things I have. xD

Sinister

I am currently waiting to hear from two plumbers digging up my backyard. Yesterday began by receiving a huge water bill saying I used something like 15000 gallons. Which is near quadruple my usage.

I check the crawlspace of my house today and it's standing in four inches of water. So I get out a water pump and start pumping the crawlspace dry. It's about this time I get a phone call and learn that my cousin had tried to mow down my aunt, her mother, in a suv after she robbed a funeral home.

Days like these are never boring. Personally, I like boring. I figure there's no shame in relaxing with a gin sour, while things I can't control resolve themselves. Bad days come in pairs, I guess.

Do you guys use egg whites in your sours? I like them in sours, myself.

-Sin

Sinister

Classical music and a can of Shotgun Wedding brown ale. I'm trying to decide if my LM entry needs more work or if I can concentrate on my WIP. And WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SMELL!? There is this strong ammonia smell of rot and I cannot find it. It's haunting. It smells so bad, I've got the remains of a cigar and I'm going to go outside and try to fumigate the smell from myself. I feel like I should hire a Catholic priest to come in with a censer and try to exorcise the funk out of this end of my house.

EDIT:
And I just apparently listened to someone attempt Bizet's Farandole with %@$^ing high-hat in it, like it was some café house jazz. What the hell is going on here? Feels like the last week and a half has been directed by David Lynch.

-Sin

Turnbull

I'm very tired, but I want to read my Bible before I got to sleep. I'm also considering starting a thread about dating services online, but I'll do that later. I have stomach surgery coming up, which makes me concerned about what I should be eating rather than what I like to eat. Still though, for a hot mess, my life is pretty stable. So I guess it's a hot mess on a plate.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am considering only visiting the forums for talking or socializing. Not for writing stories for the time being. I am in a bit of a dilemma. I don't think I will make a massive leap in the quality of my prose unless I save money to buy one of those recording microphones that you can take with you anywhere (portable and that works with a software). That way I will observe and record my observations and descriptions. I want to make a huge life adjustment. To do that I will save about 75 dollars a month every month. That way I can afford everything. I calculated that if I sell everything and save until Christmas I will have the needed 900. With a disability I'd rather not take chances. That means I won't be able to buy anything except I would use these subscription services to entertain myself. I have been thinking on signing onto crunchyroll and amazon music/apple music. I can always read people's stories. Maybe then my issues will be resolved. I shouldn't invest in books until I solve the English issues.

I need to entertain myself or my mood worsens. I think it's manageable. I never save money. I think now is the time I should worry about this.

I hope this doesn't sound pessimistic. This is a solution and a realistic one. After I invest heavily in english and manage it well. I think that's when I will focus on writing the story or I will worry about what can help me to write it. Whether I need a tutor is unclear. But then after christmas my birthday is 3 months after. That’s what I have planned.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
One client wants a big upswing in system performance, so I spent the evening cloning my AWS SQL Server and cutting out every database but theirs on the new server. The front end side of my systems use an SQL server, an application server, and an image server. I'm going to try their current site on the application server connected to the new SQL Server and see if that gets the performance bump the want. If not, we'll have to also dedicate an application server to them. Luckily, they've indicated that server charges are no barrier, and they're going to need to be serious about that. High performance AWS servers don't come cheap. LOL

Sinister

I am currently...in the process of feeling awful. Trying to remember and figure out why I am feeling awful. And just generally trying understand the course of the last twelve hours. Somehow, despite zero person-to-person interaction, complete isolation and a decently healthy diet, I have become very sick. I'm putting myself on the BRAT diet at the moment and even the thought of that is making me even sicker. I need to post my LM challenge now, while I'm capable of it and thinking of it.

-Sin

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
You're always a pleasure to interact with, and you always have good instincts in your notes. WF is a community of writers, but the word "community" is important. We're here for that and for you.
@Theglasshouse sounds like you have decided on a plan of action. Good for you! :)
Well thanks everyone for the support. Thanks Vranger and Pip. Now here's something I didn't consider. I think I will try something different. It is more work than the method I mentioned before. I will use a small camera with a microphone. That way I can write down all the details. It is also more affordable. I wouldn't have to mess with some devices/software that costs hundreds of dollars. Thanks for the support from both of you and the community. I think I can turn this situation around.

I am reading Steven pinker's book on how to write concrete paragraphs. How to increase the description is important. Based on his suggestion that every topic sentence needs to have concrete words. That sentences need to be arranged in logical order. I think I found several books that explain this aspect of the writing process.

So besides using a video to record. I will be using some books on how to organize the sentences in the right order that I found today on a web search. The focus will be the same which is an emphasis on English skills. Most of my purchases will be based on this.

I am now considering besides the mentioned strategy to record and comment on what I see. I could use the evernote application. I use an ipod nano 7th generation which needs a microphone. That's my substitute for the camcorder. The microphone is inadequate that comes with it. It does have a camera that can take pictures and maybe video (unsure of this one).

I've been told to write in first person so I will grab a book that explains pov since I never write in first person.

Empowering Students to Write and Re-write:
Standards-Based Strategies for Middle and
High School Teachers
by Warren Combs (Kindle Edition)

Upgrade Your English Writing Skills
by Winn Trivette II (Kindle Edition)

The Little Gold Grammar Book: 40 Powerful
Rules for Clear and Correct Writing
by Brandon Royal (Kindle Edition)

The Little Red Writing Book Deluxe Edition:
Two Winning Books in One, Writing plus
Grammar
by Brandon Royal (Kindle Edition)

I like the little red writing book since it explains in a different way how to write in the correct sequence. Winn trinvette's book should tell me some things that are not so obvious to me. Such as to take notes on what I want to write about. The first book here mentions the strategy of combining sentences.

I figure these are the best books I could find. In addition to this I own two description books. I don't believe I observe what I am describing a lot which is a mistake in the process of writing description. That is why I want to use a camera and a microphone. That would help me observe and take notes.

The difference between dictating with a digital recorder is that it would be converted to text immediately when I connect it to the computer. I feel that abnegating my usual pleasures of writing might not be the best idea. I am working on this proposal I made as a plan initially. I think this is a better idea. I liked that people here listened to me and gave me their reactions.

As I read more of Steven Pinker's book, I figure I will find more books to answer the question of what makes a person's writing accessible in fiction. That would be style. He does cover the topic off coherence. I found these books based on Steven Pinker's criteria. That all sentences need concrete subjects and supporting details to create a concrete style.

I also found a book with 1350 pages full of concrete nouns.

Thanks everyone for the support. I will try this before I act in haste. Which is to pay for something that would need 5 months of savings. That sounds soul crushing and I want to give this a try before a hiatus from my writing forum activities.

Last edited: