Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What are the most pretentious books you've read? (1 Viewer)

Turnbull

I got this cast-off book from a library called The Advance of the American Short Story, published in 1931. The author just rambles on about short story authors, without really talking about them. He just kind of says his opinion and then moves on to the next one. He also had this really strange bias against "local color" stories. Then he concludes the book with some pretentious drivel about how short story writers are fighting against "the machine" without explaining what that means.

SiameseDream

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. I never got the hype for that book. It felt like the author just knew the whole time he was writing it that he was writing a Very Important Book.

Having said that, I really liked his next book, Freedom. Still suffered from Very Important Book Syndrome, but for some reason it didn't bother me as much.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

ehbowen

Atlas Shrugged​ by Ayn Rand. 'Nuff said. I agree with much of what she believed, but even I couldn't slog through that hundred-page sermon in Act III.

Turnbull

Atlas Shrugged​ by Ayn Rand. 'Nuff said. I agree with much of what she believed, but even I couldn't slog through that hundred-page sermon in Act III.

I feel like I need to read this book for writing reasons, but you are not giving me hope I'll get through it alright, lol.