Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Were you a "troubled" teen? Tell me your story. (1 Viewer)

M

mcfun61

If you were a "troubled" teen I would like to here your story.
If you had trouble with:
Running away
Defiance
Criminal Activity
Substance Abuse
etc.
I would like to here what you did, why, how you overcame your trouble, Do you have teens now? how did your experieces shape the way you parent. Etc.

Penelope

oh yes! I am sure I was a 'troubled' teen! My parents will attest to that as well! In what way? errrm .. I've forgotten?

Jasmine

*Is still a troubled teen trapped in an adult *splutter* body!*

I have runaway experience...but nothing horrific...And, I kind of draw from that part of my life when I write...Personnal thing, y'know?

I'm not a parent, though...so it's not what you're looking for anyway...*Is too tired!*

M

mcfun61

Thanks Jasmine that reminds me. My email is in my profile for those that prefer.

faraway

Well - I was never a troubled teen - my mother actually got worried a lot because I would not get angry at anything or anyone (you know - the thing teens do so well)... and I've never lost my temper... ever... :)

kinetickyle

Oh, the whole defiance thing is something that I've never grown out of. I used to make extra keys to my car and stash them about, so when my folks grounded me, I'd have a way out. I never did what I was told. In fact, the quickest way to get me to do something was to tell me that I couldn't.

I'm still that way to a certain extent today. I think I'm just naturally rebellious...not even the navy could break me of it. I mean, I got my nipple pierced simply because the navy didn't allow body piercings...

Kimberly Bird

Hmmm, it's hard to want to remember that far back. My biggest problem I would say was that I loved the opposite sex, drank too much Southern Comfort, and smoked too much honey oil. I had to quickly grow out of that stage though when I met my husband-to-be at age 17. And now I get to re-live the rebellious teen years with my daughters. And if they get out of control and not phone home or things like that, I'm the first one hunting them down and dragging their sorry butt home. They have yet to outsmart me. Like I always tell them, been there done that, so don't pull no B.S. with me. :lol:

Kimberly

Arden1528

Well I was the youngest of three brothers, and my parents last hope. I was spoiled as a kid, but I did find drugs. Going to parties in the bowls of Detroit to go to a party. I had some horrible times at these parties. I was well drugged though so it seemed harmless at the time. Nothing happened to myself personally, it was mostly other people there. For example, I saw someone get stabbed in the stomach. It happened right next to me. I will never forget the look on the mans face as he fell to the ground. As if he had just sucked a lemon or something.

I wasn't allowed to be, and didn't permit myself to admit that I was, a troubled teen. My Dad doubled as my HS principal, so any prospective friends would be a friend to the administration; any special attention from teachers might be construed as sucking up to the boss, etc., etc.

DKJ

Penelope

oh what the hell .. here goes!

My troubled years began at the age of five when I was sent home for bloodying the nose of a male classmate who shoved me out of the way. I took umbrage.

I was the only girl in the history of Nechako Elementary School to get the strap. I was given more lashes because I refused to cry. The teacher who delivered this indignity had his daughter in my classroom and I hated the way he continuously and publicly belittled her.

When a highschool teacher picked on a female classmate making fun of her clothes and weight, I began mimicing his accent. He sent me to the principle's office and then went to my mother's place of work and informed her that I was a rude girl. When my mother grilled me I told her what he had done. The teacher was given a drubbing by my mother, in the presence of the principle, for not being completely honest about the chain of events. (I didn't find out about that till later.)

I told my grade 8 lit teacher that I thought he was a letch because he kept asking the girls intimate questions about their sex life. He failed me.

I ran away from home once [I was 8] because my eldest brother told me I was adopted. I made it as far as the snow bank across the street from my home.

During my younger teen years, I would do periodic escapes through the basement bathroom window. It was easy getting out, but re-entering was tricky. If one wasn't careful they ended up falling in the toilet.

I got married at 16 due to .. well .. why did/does any 16 year old female get married? (I excelled in biology in school.) This did not curtail my rebellious streak but simply gave me another adversary.

At 30, I decided to turn over a new leaf and spent 19 years in a crappy relationship because I thought it was the 'right' thing to do.

Now, I'm back to square one.

Sub

I am a teen. I have all sorts of problems, like sex and school and all of that sort. Talk to me if you want info!

Kimberly Bird

Penelope, I'm jumping up and down saying "I knew it, I knew it. I knew there was more to you than you wanted to let on. :lol:

Sub, they say a child's mind grows twice in life, once when they are between 1-3, and then again when they are teenagers. So during these stages children and teens are soaking in so much, body is growing and all that. So I guess all you can do is hold on and enjoy the ride, and just slow down at the speed bumps. :wink:

Kimberly

mattquarterstein

I was never a troubled teen, but everyone else around me was for some reason. Ever since I was 4 I've had the maturity of an adult and in that way I've stuck out like a sore thumb.

I never drank, never smoked, never did drugs, never played sport. I always handed in my homework on time and got high grades for it.

Like i said, everyone else had the troubles. I only saw a reflection of it. I don't see what the big deal about the teen years are. People go "Oh, I'd never live through that again", I really don't know why.

Washer

matt, I can relate. I'm a teen as we speak, only a few short weeks from 17, and I haven't smoked, drank, done drugs, had sex, committed crimes of more than the most minor sort, or anything exciting for that matter. And it worries me.

I think it's important for a good writer to do bad things, to experience life at its most visceral. For some reason, I can't bring myself to do this. Ack. I have friends who can no longer drive for legal reasons, friends who have been arrested, and convicted, one acquaintance who used to be addicted to speed. I know a guy who has a 15 year old girlfriend. But vicariously sampling my friends' lives has left me little in the way of actual knowledge. If only I could adopt the persona of someone more daring and bold, if only to experience all that life has meant for me not to. You know?

Penelope

Washer, while you may not leap into the abyss of 'foolish' acts you have friends who do so. To save yourself the agonies, live vicariously through their misadventures. A good writer does not need to suffer. They simply need to be observant. If it's not your nature to misbehave then you will fail if you try it. So excell in not making stupid mistakes with my blessings. :-D You already write well, so you have no worries.

Penelope said:
Washer, while you may not leap into the abyss of 'foolish' acts you have friends who do so. To save yourself the agonies, live vicariously through their misadventures. A good writer does not need to suffer. They simply need to be observant."

I think that's just right, Penelope. Though I would add that vicarious living is overrated for this other reason, too: Each of us
experiences directly the moments of his or her life, even when we suppose ourselves to be "merely" observing the life of another.

DKJ

Penelope

'Vacarious' living does have some benefits. As one who's done both and lived to write about it, I find I draw from most of my wilderness experiences when I write. They had a profound impact on my senses and survival. What I did in the urban 'jungle' has less to do with survival and more to do with stupidity. Living in the city and comparing it to isolation just doesn't cut it with me. There are just too many people and cell phones around.
Thank you for considering my comments worthy enough to quote.

Anonymous

My daughters have diabetes; I don't. I experience the disease directly on a daily basis, however differently from their experiences of it. No experience is any more genuine than the others -- though some may be more or less meaningful or acute. In this case, mine is a different sort of vicarious longing, where I frequently wish actually to adopt the experience of others, if only to save them from it.