Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Wendigo (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Wendigo

It strolls
through the birches
traces the path
of a bright breeze
and seeks...something

And then it flickers--
dances and teases
a little bit of light
in violet deep eyes
vibrant and vital...

Out of the dapples
the whispers begin
the doubt and dark
fingers sent to catch
that slim little flicker

That promise of peace
when the violence is done
and like a hind from a dog
light feet lift--swiftly away
for there is no satiation

no appeasement for this beast

Last edited:

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Wendigo

It strolls
through the birches
traces the path
of a bright breeze
and seeks...something

And then it flickers--
it dances and teases
a little bit of light
in violet deep eyes
vibrant and vital...

Out of the dapples
the whispers begin
the doubt and dark
fingers sent to catch
that slim little flicker

That promise of peace
when the violence is done
and like a hind from a dog
light feet lift--swiftly away
for there is no satiation

no appeasement for this beast

The Wendigo....one of my favorite mythological creatures.... the beautiful imagery in the first 2 stanzas is such a surreal dreamscape for such a savage being....it is exquisite!

"out of the dapples
the whispers begin"

I held my breath as I read these fabulous lines...

the most brilliant thing you mastered, for me, was giving the Wendigo a real presence... living, breathing... hunting...

next time I go out for a stroll, my eyes will be searching the dappled shadows and I will listen to the whisper of the Wendigo....

DarKKin, you curled my toes and gave me chills and absolutely turned a hum-drum day into a thing of pure "majic"....

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I hadn't heard of the wendigo before. On checking in wikipedia I find it is a mythical creature with roots in parts of Canada and the USA, but I'm in the UK.

To the poem: I can easily imagine the wendigo stalking its prey. I'm thinking that last line of stanza 1 might have more impact if 'something' is cut from the end. It somehow seems redundant, and letting the reader assume that might strengthen that line.

Stanza 2 has it-it-bit on consecutive lines, and I question whether that adds to the poem.
My mind is going for something like:

"And then it flickers--
dances and teases--
a little light
in violet deep eyes
vibrant and vital..."

I was briefly reminded of "Violet Bright" - from one of your earlier works, I believe.

I do love what you've done with this piece. Here's to many more.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Thank you both for taking the time to read the piece, as always, it is appreciated. I did remove the second it, but kept the bit to maintain a hint of internal rhyme. Nice catch on that, as it tends to be a soapbox I preach from. Keeps one accountable.

As to the wendigo, I first encountered the story in The Burning Feet in a banned book called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I was about six and it both frightened and intrigued me. It is always interesting to hear about what stories others find familiar and which are new, like the myth of the bunyip from Australia I happened across in a book I bought as an undergrad. And kudos on the call about Violet Bright, there are elements of the 'Ways in this piece, but there is also a furtive allegory in the piece. It is embodied in the nature of the wendigo and when he appears.

- D.

knottla

Yes the Wendigo is new to me also. The way you've written this poem creates tension and leaves the reader writing more. Thanks for sharing Darkkin.