Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Well, I didn't know that. (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Don't know about you, but I am always finding stuff when reading that makes me think 'Well ...'

For example I just finished 'Quest for Kim' by Peter Hopkirk, it is all about the true background behind Rudyard Kipling's 'Kim'.

The school in Lucknow called St Xavier is based on a real one called La Martiniere, during the Indian Mutiny, or First war of independence', depending how you look at it, the school was evacuated and the older boys fought on the front line to defend the British Residency through a five month siege, while the younger ones brought up food and ammunition under fire. Afterwards they were awarded the Indian Mutiny Medal and the school was given the right to carry a regimental style colour. The only school in the British Empire to to posses a battle honour.

The other one was finding a picture of Walden Pond. The word 'pond' this side of the water means that it is about 20 foot across, and I had always imagined it that way, surrounded by overhanging trees. It's a dirty great lake, not a pond at all !

So what have you found out lately?

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Exponential
Take a chess board. Put a grain of rice in the first square. Two in the second, four in the third, sixteen in the third, 256 in the fourth, by the time you reach the 64th square the rice would be enough to cover India to about six metres deep.
Virology is a numbers game.