Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Watership Down (2 Viewers)

Amour

One of my favorites too. "Tales from Watership Down" is sitting on my shelf unread, though. Should probably get to that soon. I wonder if it's as good?

Amour

Fair enough. Still worth a read, at any rate. ;)
He's written a bunch of other books too, right?
Reviews for any of them?

B

Baron

Fair enough. Still worth a read, at any rate. ;)
He's written a bunch of other books too, right?
Reviews for any of them?

Plague Dogs is well worth the read.

Did you know that Watership Down was originally self-published? None of the publishing houses wanted to know so Richard Adam's published himself and hawked around all the major London book-shops. It was the demand that was created through his efforts that made the publishing houses take it seriously.

jesterscourt

...Did you know that Watership Down was originally self-published? None of the publishing houses wanted to know so Richard Adam's published himself and hawked around all the major London book-shops. It was the demand that was created through his efforts that made the publishing houses take it seriously.

Hm, I wonder why that isn't more widely publicized on sites like lulu.com then.

B

Baron

Hm, I wonder why that isn't more widely publicized on sites like lulu.com then.

At that time you could take self published books into high street shops and get a deal with the store manager. These days the big chains only buy, generally, from their own suppliers. There was no internet then either. there are a whole string of self published books that later became bestsellers. In the middle part of the twentieth century it was a good way of getting into the circle, as long as the book was good enough. Its never been easy to get a publisher or agent to take a first novel, possibly harder now than then.

Amour

Plague Dogs is well worth the read.

Did you know that Watership Down was originally self-published? None of the publishing houses wanted to know so Richard Adam's published himself and hawked around all the major London book-shops. It was the demand that was created through his efforts that made the publishing houses take it seriously.

Didn't know that, no. That's pretty amazing.. Hard to imagine, really. Interesting tidbit, haha. Thanks Baron ;).

ClancyBoy

The Celestine Prophecy, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and John Grisham's first novel (The Firm?) were also self-published initially.

The first two are kind of obvious as to why.

The Hack

The Celestine Prophecy, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and John Grisham's first novel (The Firm?) were also self-published initially.

The first two are kind of obvious as to why.

Grisham's self published first book was A Time to Kill.

elizabeth_472

Yes, I read this book. It isn't one of my favorite classics, but it's not a bad read at all. David Clement-Davies's Firebringer and The Sight are often compared to this book. In my opinion, they are much better.

g-paw

Watership Down rates as one of my top favorites. I've read it numerous times, and hope to read it again one day.

The TV animation actually followed the storyline of the book, as I recall.

Athlynne

Oh, God. I saw the animated movie when I was way too young...just thinking about it makes me want to curl up into a ball. My parents thought it was okay for kids, since it was a cartoon. :(

CroZ

It's my favorite book. I read it first when I was eight, and four more times over long periods. I'm looking to read it again but I can't find it anywhere.

There was a TV series too, it was like a extended more cutting edge version of the movie - General Woundwort was a much more evil looking dark bunny, with a beard.

VinrAlfakyn

I read this book a few months ago and loved it. My friend read it before I did and recommended it to me. It was funny hearing her describe it though, because she would point at the cover and say, "Watership Down. It sounds like it'd be about a boat or something. But no. It's about bunnies."

spider8

This was my favourite book for many years, until overfamiliarity allowed other great novels to rub shoulders with it in my mind. Don't watch the film- it's in second place to your imagination, and after watching the film you will have images of the cartoon characters in your mind instead of what your own imagination will create.

I disagree, although I saw the film when it originally came out and then read the book a number of years later. I think they're both brilliant. The film's animation is really quite different from your typical animated movie, and I think it did a good job of capturing the mood of the book. And really, you could make the same criticism of any film adaptation of a novel - that you'll see the film characters in your head when reading the book. I think that really depends on the reader.