Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Watch me paint a dog portrait! (1 Viewer)

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Here's a screen-capture video of me painting a portrait of my Bernese Mtn. Dog, Beorn.

Lately, I've gotten into the habit of laying down a bright color as the background and working on top of it. I like doing so because 1) it helps eliminate that big bad white empty space and 2) bits and pieces of that background color will likely remain uncovered in the final image, creating a bit of "sparkle" to the image.

I finally found a good video capture software and - most importantly - adjusted my computer's settings to make the process easier, so I'm doing more videos of my work, which I will post here whenever I can.

enjoy…

[video=youtube_share;Ij3xo3Vy-7A]https://youtu.be/Ij3xo3Vy-7A[/video]

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Wow, you must have been doing that for decades.

One painting? Decades! I'd never make any money.

Ha! Well, I've been drawing and painting since I was a wee lad. I'm no longer very wee, and I've spent the last 35+ years in graphic design and illustration. Now, I'm sliding towards retirement and hoping to tap into the "lucrative" pet portrait market to keep myself busy and my dogs in biscuits.

Thanks for watching!

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Here's one I was going to post earlier this summer but forgot. This is Boris, our 110 pound Black Lab / Mastiff cross.

Sadly, we had to put Boris down a couple weeks ago due to heart disease. Right now, it's hard to look at my photos and paintings of him and not get choked up.

In time, I'm sure these images will instead make me smile. He was a good dog, and a sweet friend.

The painting took about four hours (I spent a bit of time dithering, changing colors and such in the middle) and it's condensed down to 4 minutes.

[video=youtube_share;-K4TPPr287k]https://youtu.be/-K4TPPr287k[/video]

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Here's a screen capture video of a recent commission. I included some captions to explain the process I went through for this painting.

Software used:
  • screen capture: Snagit
  • digital painting: Corel Painter
  • video editing: Adobe Premiere
  • captions: Adobe Illustrator
  • music: Apple Logic

[video=youtube_share;LAKoSj-QMHI]https://youtu.be/LAKoSj-QMHI[/video]

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
A local pet expo held a Cutest Pet Photo contest and asked me if I would help out by narrowing the field to the ten best and painting a portrait of the winner in exchange for co-sponsorship of the event.

Well, of course the virus forced cancellation of the expo, but the contest went on. Here's me painting the winner.

[video=youtube_share;D_2oUTLUdxw]https://youtu.be/D_2oUTLUdxw[/video]

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Even though this isn't a video, it's still a worthy sample, recently finished.

One of the reference photos I was given had Diesel sitting in a wheat field. The photo was dark and the wheat was new spring growth, and very green. I liked the wheat field idea, but the photo itself was poor.

There was another photo of Diesel in a car looking out the window that was strongly lit, it was too bright, but the pose was good.

There was a third photo of Diesel laying on a car seat. The pose wasn't good, but the lighting was nice and even which gave me a good idea of her coloration.

So I modeled the sunny shot and put her in a summer wheat field, and referred to the middle tone image for ideas on coloration.

That's the process I went through on this portrait. It was a lengthy process, with a couple stops and starts, but you can't argue with the final result.

Diesel (16x20 digital)

DieselO.jpg

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
I love these! I am a dog lover, all my life and these are so great, the way you've captured the spirit of these dogs is unreal! The life in their eyes and expression is just awesome.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
I love these! I am a dog lover, all my life and these are so great, the way you've captured the spirit of these dogs is unreal! The life in their eyes and expression is just awesome.

Thank you! I always put lots of emphasis on the eyes, as that's the emotional center of where we connect with our pets.

Lee Messer

Here's a screen capture video of a recent commission. I included some captions to explain the process I went through for this painting.

Software used:
  • screen capture: Snagit
  • digital painting: Corel Painter
  • video editing: Adobe Premiere
  • captions: Adobe Illustrator
  • music: Apple Logic

[video=youtube_share;LAKoSj-QMHI]https://youtu.be/LAKoSj-QMHI[/video]

It would happen sooner or later, but I'll bite. Can you illustrate a book? What kind of book would you be willing to illustrate in this way? Many of us here are first timers. I personally would like to see what genres you could do. Just sayin without being self-centered. I really don't know what you would/could do for any of us. I just thought it the obvious question. I mean, you could make some money if this quality came with a profound message. Something powerful to drive home this image... maybe even poetry. An anthology of poems about animals? pets?

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
It would happen sooner or later, but I'll bite. Can you illustrate a book? What kind of book would you be willing to illustrate in this way? Many of us here are first timers. I personally would like to see what genres you could do. Just sayin without being self-centered. I really don't know what you would/could do for any of us. I just thought it the obvious question. I mean, you could make some money if this quality came with a profound message. Something powerful to drive home this image... maybe even poetry. An anthology of poems about animals? pets?

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here

excellent banner!
excellent challenge images!

quite inspiring, consistently...
jussayin',
;)

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here.

You've given me a lot to respond to…

First, I'm always interested in discussing work for hire (whether book illustration, cover design, etc.), though the main point of this thread was simply to showcase my pet portrait work, because I love doing them.

As to style, you can see I do realistic work for my portraits, but I've played with other styles and media over the years (check out this forum's Challenge Banners every month - I always try to mix up the looks on those).

Combining words and pictures? That's what got me into my graphic design career 35 years ago. I love the challenge of combining art with words.

The powers that be here on Writing Forums have been gracious enough to allow me some ad space, so you can click on either my banner ad at the top, the sidebar on the right, or even my signature line below to visit my site and view my portfolio where I have plenty of samples of work through the years.

But in the mean time, I'm going to get back to work on a very new and obscure breed of dog, it's a cross between a Golden Doodle and a Velociraptor, called a Veloci-Doodle.

VelociDoodle.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread