Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Waiting for promised contract (1 Viewer)

TaniAliya

WF Veterans
Hi, I was offered a contract on 26 November and have yet to see it. I know these things take time and with the holiday season on us, I thought I'd wait until mid-January to chase up. Does anybody know what a decent time frame would be?

Sam

General
Patron
A contract with whom and for what?

I'm afraid we're going to need more specifics than what you've given here.

Last edited:

Cephus

Contracts typically go through your agent for traditional publishing, most legitimate publishers don't deal with the author directly.

Sam

General
Patron
Contracts typically go through your agent for traditional publishing, most legitimate publishers don't deal with the author directly.

That presupposes the OP has an agent.

I've been traditionally published in the past and didn't have one until recently.

TaniAliya

WF Veterans
As this is a traditional publication forum, I assumed I didn't have to say much. A traditional (independent, not the Big Five) publisher has accepted my novel - no agent - but has yet to give me the contract. The last thing I heard was 'I'll get a contract going.' I know the publisher has been around for quite a few years and there are no issues with it as such.

So, the question again is, what is a decent time from acceptance (we want to publish) for me to start chasing this publisher?

A contract with whom and for what?

I'm afraid we're going to need more specifics than what you've given here.

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
Unless the publisher gave you a date in the future, I would reach out in the next week or so and follow-up and just ask when they'd be sending contract. Most small publishers have limited staff so sometimes a respectful, non-agressive nudge/poke helps. And at least you get a timeframe established. Congrats!

TaniAliya

WF Veterans
Thank you TKent. I'll take your advice. Perhaps a little later in January when the world wakes from its festive torpor, I'll drop the publisher a carefully worded, polite line. Ta.

QUOTE=TKent;2322796]Unless the publisher gave you a date in the future, I would reach out in the next week or so and follow-up and just ask when they'd be sending contract. Most small publishers have limited staff so sometimes a respectful, non-agressive nudge/poke helps. And at least you get a timeframe established. Congrats![/QUOTE]