Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Virgin Suicides? (1 Viewer)

hazel_baby

Have any of you read it? I heard from a couple people that it's a good book, but I want to know from the pros (hehe) if it's worth reading.

have you ever read a book that changed your life? reccomendations? I want to read some really good books this year.

Last edited:

Stewart

I would certainly recommend reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. It's a short enough read and it's quirky narrative voice (told by a collective) rewards the story around the Lisbon sisters. If you've seen the film, it's also different as where the film gave you full access to the Lisbon sisters, the book is based merely around speculation as to their life, which makes it more enduring.

And, of course, if you enjoy The Virgin Suicides there is also Eugenides' Pulitzer Prize winning novel, Middlesex. That's excellent.

hazel_baby

yea I heard about middlesex as well. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

so do any of you recomend any life-changing books? I want to get wiser as well/smarter.

Stewart

hazel_baby said:
so do any of you recomend any life-changing books? I want to get wiser as well/smarter.

I don't know about books that will change your life. Just read widely and read often.

lisajane

The movie is my favourite movie, the book is well up there on my favourites list.

Read it.

*SPOILER*

However, if you don't like any firm ending in the book, shy away from it. A lot of people complain about the ending in both the book and the movie - it's first person from an outsider to the story, and as such you don't find out the real details at the end of the book - you only find out what the first person believes what happens.

PamHKyle

haven't read the book (yet) but seen the movie some time back and absolutely loved it.
and knowing the book is usually better than the book.. :)