Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Video game parody publishing rights (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently writing a parody about a video game and would like to look into publishing it once it's finished, but I'm not sure if I need to contact the company about rights to publish the book, or if I have the right to publish it? As an example I'll say I'm writing a parody on the xbox game Fable. I have all the towns listed the same as well as the characters and the story follows the same path, but I twist or change some parts to make the story funny. If I do have the right to publish the story then once it's finished I will just continue forward with my work, but if I do not have the right to publish it please let me know what I have to do in order to get the rights to get the story out there.

Ovaraptor

If it is a parody and you aren't hashing to heavily from names, descriptions and locations you should be good, legally. It is when you start cribbing whole ideas and selling them as your own that you hit problems. People have to know your telling a joke or it just sounds like plagiarism.

Status
Not open for further replies.