Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Very dramatic personalities and very dramatic happenings. Is this interesting? (1 Viewer)

Llyralen

Years ago in high school some drama kids were telling me that they thought a certain actor had maimed themselves in order to better play Phantom of the Opera. They were saying this with so much respect and respect for acting in general. And it sounded like they wanted to emulate that. It did not sound emotionally healthy to me.

Later that year I had a dream that an acting friend of mine wrote me from a prison cell in Europe saying that they were asking prisoners if they wanted to have a leg amputated in order to play a certain role in an upcoming play and win their freedom in the bargain. This person supposedly had 4 years to go to get out, but he was saying he was going to do it and make it the greatest role of all time and that it would be worth the sacrifice to play such a role with such passion. In my dream I was very distraught knowing that my letter advising him to hold out for freedom with 2 legs would not reach him in time.

i have known young men... it's usually young men... who were doing things like painting a portrait in blood to show their unrequited love for a girl.

Two Mormon missionaries were teaching on the Faroe Islands back in the 60's. One of them was a family friend. He said his companion fell in love with a girl and was leaving the house at night secretly to meet her. The companion was found one morning with a harpoon through him. Inquires found nothing out. As far as I know there have not been Mormon missionaries on the Faroe islands since.

About 2 weeks ago I met a young man online who was a Christian in a Muslim country. He had met a Muslim girl online and he knew they would never get together, yet he wouldn't say "I have feelings for you, so I'm going to say goodbye and delete, you know it can't happen." He wanted some advice because he kept getting angry with her and shouting at her and deleting and unfriending on FB and then re-friending all because he wanted her to tell him she loved him first. I was worried about the girl and her family finding out about their relationship and I kept saying so to him. He said "I have to know if she loves me. Why can't she give me that? Why can't I have that?" I said "Won't it make things worse?" I found his insistence about it... almost like an ego... very concerning to me but also kind of fascinating. Was he willing to get her beaten or killed or her nose cut off by her family in order for his ego to be appeased? I kind of thought so, but I also didn't know if i was reading too much into the story. i know her safety really depends on what culture these two are in and i didn't ask except to ask him to please make sure he was thinking of her safety. He said he was thinking of her, couldn't stop thinking of her, like an obsession but was also so angry at her....but i asked him to think of how difficult it might be for them both if they did admit their love because he said there was absolutely no chance they could work it out. He wants her confession, and then says he will delete his account and never talk to her again. Hopefully she is safe. But what a thing if his "love" was putting her in that much danger, he wanted his pride satisfied, and what if she did pay for it? It almost seemed like he wanted her to pay for it.

What do you guys think? Are these kind of personalities very interesting to you? They are to me... horrible and also interesting. Interesting that normal people can take their immediate feelings SO seriously without taking the long-term results seriously. I think I'd like to write about a personality like this, but I'd like to know if this is interesting to you and do you know people who are this dramatic (and can i say short-sighted)? What about dramatic happenings like the harpooned young man? Does it remind you of anyone, and are you still shaking your head thinking "Did that just happen?" the way that I do.

Last edited:

druid12000

Both fortunately and unfortunately, I have known many people like that. It's like being an unwilling participant on the Jerry Springer show.

Years ago, I ate it up and went back for seconds. Now, I like my peace, and I protect it from those who revel in their drama.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure it is something that would immediately interest me if I were to pick up a novel and read the back blurb. However, I think there are many good stories to be told. Mostly, because each of these cases you have mentioned involve a sort of crime of passion. As a writer, the exploration of an extreme, to the point of unreasonable consequences, motive due to passion is a fertile ground.

I also wonder about suicide attackers. What was their inherent motivation? As with Japanese kamikaze pilots of the 1940s and the terrorists of 911 what motivations have been tapped. Is it just ego? Can anyone be brainwashed to commit such crimes or must an inherent need for perverse recognition be present?

Llyralen

I'm not sure it is something that would immediately interest me if I were to pick up a novel and read the back blurb. However, I think there are many good stories to be told. Mostly, because each of these cases you have mentioned involve a sort of crime of passion. As a writer, the exploration of an extreme, to the point of unreasonable consequences, motive due to passion is a fertile ground.

I also wonder about suicide attackers. What was their inherent motivation? As with Japanese kamikaze pilots of the 1940s and the terrorists of 911 what motivations have been tapped. Is it just ego? Can anyone be brainwashed to commit such crimes or must an inherent need for perverse recognition be present?

Ooh yes, I do think zealot-thinking and cult-thinking is interesting. Those are related to this.

Last edited:

Hewlett

It's okay, we will not castigate you for finding full-blown bat-shit crazy people very interesting, seems normal.

Crooked Bird

Just wanted to say, I found every single one of those stories riveting and I think you should write any of them. Of course people like that stuff. It's freakin' fascinating.

I will say, when it's really emotionally unhealthy, I personally might not make it the central story in a book, because I write the kind of books where the reader needs to be able to identify with the protagonist as good or at least legitimately trying to be. I might make it a subplot, a story-within-a-story, something like that, something to add color. But for a different type of book (or short story) there's no reason not to make this kind of thing central.