Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

V/O Or O/S (1 Viewer)

I have a script in which the M/C hears his dead father's voice speak to him. Now, for the dialogue, what do I use, Voice over or off screen? I think it would be V/O since the guy is dead and only the M/C can hear him. Hopefully, I'm right.

mammamaia

you're right, but you're wrong! ;-)

it would be V.O. [or VO] since the character speaking is not physically anywhere in the scene and is only heard... but it's not typed V/O in standard screenwriting format...

O.S. [or OS] is used when the character speaking is in the scene, but just not seen at the time s/he's speaking... such as when someone is speaking from an adjoining room or behind a closed door...

V.O. is also used for all 'over a speaker' type dialog... such as for the other party to a telephone conversation, airport announcements, and such...

fyi, for tv sitcoms, O.C. [off camera] is used instead of O.S. [off screen]...

hope that helps... love and hugs, maia

Thanks Maia,
I thought it was V.O. but just wanted to make sure. I guess laziness sets in when one relys on the formatting software . . . Thanks for the correction on V.O. not V/O. !