Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Urgh. The Worst Book Ever.... (1 Viewer)

Samy :]

Whatever you do.
Don't read Eragon or Eldest like I have because I heard it was published by a young author & I was very interested & please that someone my age could do that. But sadly, I found out he wrote it at 15, but had it published when he was 20 or 19. Sooo, I think I've been fooled, or worse, the publishing company are just using his age to market it. I feel sick. But even so, when I read Eragon, I could tell Paolini had a passion for writing at least, even though it wasn't written so well, so I was willing to wait around for the second book & hope that with an editor, he would have improved. I was mistaken & disappointed :?.

He didn't improve & worse, he used his little quote:

"characters are borned out of nessicity" or whatever the crap he was trying to ball on us.

He's wrong. characters are living, breathing characters with minds of their own. that i believe is the hardest, when you want to create a character. they have to have their own beautiful personaily to enchant us.

But maybe I should blame the editor too. It was as if she didn't bother TRYING to edit at all. Ugh.

I'm sorry if I sound negative, but I just can't believe people are praising the book. He totally plagerise everything & he doesn't even seem to care. He says that he strives for a lyrical beauty between Tolkien himself or Seamus Heanly. I can't respect him half so well if he's going to praise himself in that way constantly. I mean, I would like him a lot more if he knew that he wasn't the best & tries to act so in all his spiffy little intervies & stupid quotes he puts out. But still, when the next book comes out, I'm gonna burrow from the library in hopes that its much better & less plagarized. I would have thought after the first book, he would have listend to honest reviewers & followed their advice.

Still, what do you think of his books?

I'm open for a conversation & felt frustrated because everyone else I've talked to seems to believe it was the greatest book in the world. Gosh, its like, "Go out & read more."

Especially stuff by George RR Martin or very well written romance by Jane Austen. She was about the same age as Paolini when he came out with Eldest, & her writing was 10 times, no forgive me, 100 times better. And thanks for reading this :bomb:

dwellerofthedeep

I feel a similar way about Dan Brown and the Davinci Code, though I didn't really need the warning here as I'd already heard too many bad things about Paolini to give his books a try. Because you're trying to help others dodge a bullet or two here's another to look out for. Pastwatch the Redemption of Christopher Colombus. Orson Scott Card has written great stuff but Pastwatch just isn't it.

you know what we should do?
this be the thread where we all post what books to stay away from.
i'm saying the later wheel of time series.
robert jordan has lost all.
but i admire his earlier stuff. beautiful.
to bad he ruined it in the end.

Krim

I agree about Paolini.

"characters are borned out of nessicity" or whatever the crap he was trying to ball on us.

Well, of course he'd say this, none of his characters are actually realistic and his parents published his book. There really was no editor but him and his parents (except for on Eldest, which was long after Eragon), even though he took like three years to throw it together. Characters are born out of necessity? Humans aren't, and characters are humans. A person isn't born because the world needs another accountant; it's born and then because of it, the world has another accountant. Characters are the reason there is a plot, not the other way around.

Paolini makes money and does his thing. He doesn't care if other writers, not as famous but much better and more experienced, try to dispense advice; he is Paolini! International bestseller! He is having his own movie.

As for the movie, it'll be hilarious when half of the fans watch Eragon, and then watch LOTR, and go...'wait, which one is Eragon?'

Also, the book can get away with the entire thing mostly taking place with people running through fields and deserts and it rarely deviates from normal terrain like that. So, you don't pay much attention, but then it's on the big screen, and you realize:

'Didn't that horse just run through the same field five minutes ago?'

At least he is proof that young authors can make it as long as a blitzkrieg marketing strategy claims you're a prodigy when you're actually a so-so writer.

dwellerofthedeep

Krim said:
As for the movie, it'll be hilarious when half of the fans watch Eragon, and then watch LOTR, and go...'wait, which one is Eragon?'

Actually I'm betting the movie of far higher quality will be easily recognized as LOTR.

blademasterzzz

Welcome to the club. I've been preaching about the shittiness of Eragon & Eldest for many months now :p.

We got long threads about it.

Hakeem

Ohh... bad books... I hate Danielle Steel's books! I don't know about the writing style and probably they're good books, but I find them way too boring.

Crazy_dude6662

BeautifulDisaster said:
I also agree about Paolini. Eragon is a semi-good book, but I couldn't even bear to finish Eldest.

i agree, i like eragon, but i struggled to finish eldest ( i have this thing about starting a series of books and finishing them) and im pretty sure i skipped alot of pages and zoned out for others (like when you read it but it dosnt make sense or go in at all)

and the movie will probably be alot better

Tolkien was friends with Knopf. I wonder what he would do though if he found out that all these idiot were taking up crap like this. Man, I am so disappointed.

BeautifulDisaster

Crazy_dude6662 said:
i agree, i like eragon, but i struggled to finish eldest ( i have this thing about starting a series of books and finishing them) and im pretty sure i skipped alot of pages and zoned out for others (like when you read it but it dosnt make sense or go in at all)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to finish a series once I start it too. If I'm not interested in the first few pages.. why bother reading the rest of it?

CZ

Crazy_dude6662 said:
i struggled to finish eldest ( i have this thing about starting a series of books and finishing them) and im pretty sure i skipped alot of pages and zoned out for others (like when you read it but it dosnt make sense or go in at all)

I agree - once I get started on a series, I really want to finish it. (The exception to this rule is Robert Jordan - I stopped at book 6 and since he's got a terminal illness, I refuse to read further until (and if) he finishes the last book.)

Eragon was... almost passable. I threw the book down in disgust, however, when I realized that the system of magic was so clearly taken from LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea series.

To give credit where credit's due, Eldest did ramp up at the end, but the beginning and middle were a slogfest. I wrote about it in another thread somewhere.

As for other books to stay away from... I can't name anything specific that I've read recently that I feel strongly enough about to warn people not to read. I think that in general, the fantasy genre is degenerating. It seems to me that it's becoming more hit or miss when I buy a fantasy book... they're either good or really good ... or mediocre to terrible.

CZ said:
As for other books to stay away from... I can't name anything specific that I've read recently that I feel strongly enough about to warn people not to read. I think that in general, the fantasy genre is degenerating. It seems to me that it's becoming more hit or miss when I buy a fantasy book... they're either good or really good ... or mediocre to terrible.

Or there either terribly the same. Somebody should write about a dwarf hero and not some boy human over and over again.

martysings

wow, i rather enjoyed eragon and eldest. well, eldest at least. ok, well, at the end, eldest was good. Chris Paolini's talent for character writing is really lacking, but the story line for Eragon and Eldest is good. i imagine the movies will be better.

as far as books to stay away from, i can't really think of any. i haven't been able to read as much as i would like to have lately.:-k

simon woodhouse

I feel a bit guilty about singling out an individual book as being really bad, as who am I to say what's hot and what's not. But on the other hand, if someone writes something that stinks shouldn't they be told so?

Anyway, the worst book I've ever read, by an absolute mile, was Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. The plot was the standard Fantasy blueprint of a band of heroes setting out on a quest. The men were all butch types, and the women weak and watery. There were multiple POV changes, often within the same paragraph. What felt like important characters came and went willy-nilly, usually to never appear again once they'd said their piece. It was overly long, with self-indulgent descriptions of armour and swords and stuff like that. Most of the nonhuman races just seemed thrown together, i.e. the author likes cats so she creates a race of half cat half human people.

But, even though it was a terrible read, I did find it encouraging, insomuch as if a book like that can find its way onto a bookshop shelf, then there's hope for me. I keep meaning to read it again, and this time mark all the really bad bits so I can use them to make sure I'm not writing that way.

Stewart

Even if you narrowed the topic from 'worst book ever' to 'worst fantasy book ever' The Lord of the Rings will still find itself propped up by everything Terry Goodkind has ever written.

Bika

simon woodhouse said:
I feel a bit guilty about singling out an individual book as being really bad, as who am I to say what's hot and what's not. But on the other hand, if someone writes something that stinks shouldn't they be told so?

Anyway, the worst book I've ever read, by an absolute mile, was Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. The plot was the standard Fantasy blueprint of a band of heroes setting out on a quest. The men were all butch types, and the women weak and watery. There were multiple POV changes, often within the same paragraph. What felt like important characters came and went willy-nilly, usually to never appear again once they'd said their piece. It was overly long, with self-indulgent descriptions of armour and swords and stuff like that. Most of the nonhuman races just seemed thrown together, i.e. the author likes cats so she creates a race of half cat half human people.

But, even though it was a terrible read, I did find it encouraging, insomuch as if a book like that can find its way onto a bookshop shelf, then there's hope for me. I keep meaning to read it again, and this time mark all the really bad bits so I can use them to make sure I'm not writing that way.

Out of curiousity, did you read the rest of the series? IIRC it had a few twists in the last.
I rather enjoyed it - but I tend to avoid analysing/criting books I read, preferring to lose myself in them as much as I am able.

Another book Sara Douglass wrote - Threshold (I think) - was much better than the Axis trilogy...