Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Underwriting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

I'm definitely underwriting this story so far. I've always been awful at first pass description. But just how much underwriting is acceptable? I want to have 60k when this is all said and done but I fear I'm on pace for 30k with this manuscript. Thoughts?

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I don't mind underwriting if the story is super voicey. But if not, then beef up the word count. :)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm definitely underwriting this story so far. I've always been awful at first pass description. But just how much underwriting is acceptable? I want to have 60k when this is all said and done but I fear I'm on pace for 30k with this manuscript. Thoughts?
well...you could keep going and see where it's at when you're finished and figure out places you wanna fatten up. Or you can look at what you got and try to beef it up.
I always have too many ideas and I gotta filter out a lot. Even if you are an "underwriter" I take it that you, have thought about/brainstormed things you haven't written down. Maybe revisit those? if it's solely description you worry about then I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. As long as you have the core/main aspects down then you can come back to it later.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
How much dialogue do you have? You might think about taking sections that are heavy in narration and adding conversations. For me, I find it takes longer to tell the story in dialogue.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I find it easier to get the material in as I write. To get to the word count I recommend reading the two major threads on Filler we've had this year. :)

When I try to go back and add material, and I have a few times, I sometimes find it awkward to find the right spots to squeeze it into, and an increased chance of introducing a continuity error. Plus, if I write it as I go, the material feels more organic to me (I hate using words like organic LOL). If I go back later, it's more like I'm adding to be adding, rather than writing what I feel needs to be there as I go.

robertn51

Friends of WF
I want to have 60k when this is all said and done but I fear I'm on pace for 30k with this manuscript. Thoughts?
I was thinking you are writing a novella. And that bothers you.

I was also thinking unless you are the magical mythical 1-Draft Writer, your 30,000 words will surely shrink in the first washing.

A story. Short. Promise.

I wrote a thing, came to about 12,000 words. Seemed fine to me. I wasn't aiming at a word count goal, I was just letting the story have its head and let it go until it finished. So, done.

I let a trusted (if biased by relationship) reader read. And they had favorable comments. All but one.

"This character here seems to perform these crucial life-changing actions without a reason. Why did he do that? How did he decide? Tell more about that. That's what I want to know. I want to believe him, in what he did."

The reader had showed me where my story was "light" and needed more material. For it to make sense to them. For it to be believable. For their want to be satisfied. (And one must never ignore a cogent reader's expressed wants)

It had seemed fine to me. Because I knew why the guy was doing the things he was doing. I simply wasn't getting that onto the page well enough for the reader.

Point. Is. Get another mind on it.

Let someone else read it and then offer you answers based upon the nature of the piece. Maybe the entire story hasn't been told?

Also. Novella?

Good writing.

[2021-08-19 2354]

Olivia Brine

Add some conflict! If your character is reaching their goal too easily, that might be the culprit of your word count. Subplots are a great idea, too. I struggle with underwriting so I'm undertaking the process of going back through my chapters and adding a bit more depth to the story. Final suggestion is to beef out any characters who might've faded into the background. It isn't too late to bring them forward and make them a vital part of the story.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.