Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Two Suggestions: Spiritual stimulation and Religious humor... (1 Viewer)

Suile

Both of these books are on my list of favorites, I adore them both so greatly, and they're both rather completely different in approach.

The Celestine Prophecies by James Redfield

It's a 'spiritual adventure through the Jungles of Peru.' Told in first person by a man who's name you never know...technically it can be called a parable on how to live a spiritually enlightened life. It is very eye opening and really makes you thing about the things that surround you. Half to three quarters of the books is talk. People explaining ideas to the main character...Yet it's interesting, every word. There are some guns, imprisionment and slight romance along the way, if none of that plays a very large part. If you want another persective on life, read it. (It also has at least two, maybe three follow-up sequels, but I can't recommend them yet as I haven't yet finished the second...it does seem to be getting into some pretty funky stuff, so know that if you go for the second...)

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

This book is a very very immensely humourous, and almost always crude book about the missing years of Jesus' life. It covers everything up to the crucifixion, and you'll seriously be laughing until the end, and even though you know how it ends...hey, it is the story of Jesus...you'll find yourself wanting to cry. It's told from the point of view of Levi who is called Biff, Jesus' best friend who ventures around with him while he learns how to become the proper messiah. It's lighthearted most of the time and the humor's never malicious, but sometimes rather honest. I really really recommend this book, it's terribly funny, whether you're religious or not.

No, I don't know why my two most beloved books are both religious/spiritual in nature...I think I just love the questions, perspectives, and controversy that surround it. But in all honesty, both of these are fantastic reads.

If they aren't, well, oops.