Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Trove (1 Viewer)

When I began writing my book set in Sydney in 1966 I researched the background at the National Library in Canberra. I wanted to make sure my memory was accurate. I read many of the actual newspapers the Library has checking weather, current events and TV shows for the period. I even found the classified ad for the boarding house where I lived for my first few months here in Oz.
Now, the Library has all that information on a new online system 'Trove' (as in Treasure!). You can find newspapers, maps, books and a lot of other useful research material. So, if you want histotical accuracy goto Trove.

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
Phooey. I wanted to read my Marriage announcement in the 1964 classifieds, but the latest year for newspapers was 1954, so where you obtained 1966 material is a mystery. I noted you could buy an FJ for £733 incl tax.

Last edited:

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
If, as you say, 1966 was the year in which he did the work of checking up, why ever would he have needed to compare his recollections with the written record? His own memory would have been as fresh as a daisy. And why also would he have waited forty-four years to tell us about it?

The book is set in 1966.

You need to eat more fish, mate.

Last edited: