Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Tragedies (1 Viewer)

J.S.S

Does anyone know any books with tragic heroes or books where the main character dies in the end?
I all ready have a complete works of Shakespeare book, so please no recommending him. Also I was wondering if there are many modern day tragedies?
Thanks in advance.

Stewart

The problem here is that it may not be known that the character dies toward the end and therefore it can be deemed a spoiler. With that in mind, here's two novels where the main character certainly dies:

The Death Of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy
Everyman, Philip Roth

I would also steer you towards A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving. And Yukio Mishima's The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea. Oh, and Lamb by Bernard MacLaverty.

Ilasir Maroa

And what level?

Some of those above are older books. Are you looking at contemporary books too? I don't want to suggest something that turns out to be the wrong age level or something.

Shawn

WF Veterans
Tragedies are everywhere, but it's not just the main character dying. It's about a person who tries to do the right thing, but ends up losing. Not necessarily dying.

Tragedy really is an overused word. But I can't think of any contemporary ones right now.

Faustling

Conn Iggulden's Emperor books about Julius Ceasar. Very entertaining and unless you're painfully ignorant about history it's no spoiler that the main character dies in the end.

Lance

Faustling said:
Conn Iggulden's Emperor books about Julius Ceasar. Very entertaining and unless you're painfully ignorant about history it's no spoiler that the main character dies in the end.

I would have never known if you hadn't of told me!!

Stewart

Shawn said:
Tragedies are everywhere, but it's not just the main character dying. It's about a person who tries to do the right thing, but ends up losing. Not necessarily dying.

Tragedy really is an overused word. But I can't think of any contemporary ones right now.

Everything ever written by Richard Yates, notably Revolutionary Road.
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Shawn

WF Veterans
Ah. I got a quarter through Gatsby and had to put it down... still haven't gotten back to it. Thanks for ruining it. ;)

Stewart

I've not even read it and know how it ends, thanks to Blake Bailey's excellent biography of the aforementioned Yates. If you want real life tragedy, in biography form, then that's a good place to look.

Shawn

WF Veterans
I hadn't thought of that! Wow... I'm out of it. :)

That would also mean Snowball and Boxer in Animal Farm.

Mustafa

For contemporary works I would have to put out "The Green Mile" by King. What gives it a little twist is that the tragedy is not in the main character dying, but living.