Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Traditional, odd & funny alternatives to firewood: suggest me one! (1 Viewer)

annashem

Isn't there much firewoodin your country or in any of the world spots you have visited? Whatare traditional, odd & funny alternatives to it?

I am preparing a bookabout how different world nations traditionally substituted firewoodfor any odd local alternatives in case of its shortage or absence.Please search your memory and suggest me one!

Here are a couple ofexamples I have already picked up: in the woodless steppes ofKazakhstan they traditionally used dried cow dung providently piledfor harsh winter times. In the southern Spanish province of Valenciawhich is famous for its oranges, they burnt dried orange peels. Manyother Mediterranean countries that produced olive oil used to warmthemselves putting mashed olive stones into their stoves. In theCaribbean they might keep loads of coconut shells & husks.

I am waiting for yourreplies. Thank you in advance!

Anna

annashem

Well, virtually, we can burn almost anything to heat our houses but this is not the book's point... This is more about how people historically & traditionally (not occasionally) used the local natural resources. Odd & funny alternatives. Dried locusts? Seal fat? If you recall something, please remember to indicate the geographic place. Thank you!

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Chinese cooking basically falls into two camps, mainly because of a wood shortage. There are things that are cooked hot and quick, like stir fry, over fires made of wood. What is available is usually fairly twig like and burns hot but won't maintain for long, and there is another group of dishes, like red cooked pork in soy sauce and ginger, that cook slowly at lower temperatures over dried dung fires.

I live near the end of the railway line and i have a stove in my 'writing' shed, sometimes I walk through the train and pick up the abandoned newspapers, three warm the shed up nicely for a bit.

Potty

WF Veterans
did you know a bundle of twigs/kindling tied together is called a faggot? That's pretty amusing.

JosephB

Justin Beiber CD's, Ugg boots, "funny" bumper stickers, Twilight books, stacks and stacks of Rosie O'Donnell head-shots...