Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Torn between two cover designs - your input? (2 Viewers)

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I don't like any of the 3.
The first one, with the glass...I could see what you were trying to do, but the fonts were too small and thin, and would be illegible when the image is thumbnailed on Amazon. I liked the glass and thought you needed more of it, but the fonts needed some beefing up.

The 2nd and 3rd covers were...less good.

Try shopping for some professional clipart at canstockphoto.com. You can buy a hi-rez image for $7 and use it for up to 50,000 copies. You can also buy custom fonts that will stand out much more than those stock fonts you are using. Also, don't be afraid to use a different font for the title and author name. They do not have to be the same.

When you are all done, test your cover by thumbnailing it to see how it will look on Amazon. Lots of cover designs fall apart during this test.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Yeah the new glass one is not too bad, for me. Is the actual blue colour of the dot significant? I assume the genre is crime or thriller.

Ralph R makes an interesting point about the font though. I see some neat effects acheived by mixing up fonts. In my dabblings in such things, I understand that mixing fonts is a well-established design decision.

Eicca

Tweaked the grid font:

(Still contemplating a shadowed shape of significance I could put in the background)

XS DP Cover Crosshair.jpg

Periander

Yeah, the broken glass looked a little gimmicky to me. I like the sleek clean look of the cover you just posted again with some slight revisions. I dunno...the "O" in "point" looks kinda cool. I also like the soft glow of the letters against the dark blue background.

I can definitely see readers madly scrambling to grab a pen and notepad, assuming that the letters in the background are concealing a secret code that will throw a whole new light on the contents of the entire book!

Eicca

I'm gonna revive this thread if y'all don't mind... I had a burst of inspiration for a different design that I feel is pretty awesome. Your input would again be greatly appreciated.

XS DP Cover DC.jpg

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Still working on a blurb, but this is a realistic-fiction action-thriller novel. Jack Ryan type stuff.

I've had very good results using a professional cover designer - yes, it's a bit expensive but IMO worth it (just as using a professional editor is). The cover is the first thing a potential reader sees, if it's intriguing they'll look at the blurb, then they might read the first few pages. The whole thing is like a funnel that draws the reader toward a purchase.

I found my guy via a website called Reedsy - they have lists of editors, cover designers, marketing people, even website designers - and all show samples of their work. I'm not promoting Reedsy - it's just the one I use, and there are many similar sites like it out there.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Visually it's good, but I couldn't tell you what the story was about.

Maybe not, but it appeals to me. I would definitely pick up this book and read the synopsis. The feeling I get from it, is that it is a story about something technical, or scientific. If that is the case, then you have appealed to your target market.

What is the impression you are trying to invoke?

Eicca

What is the impression you are trying to invoke?

Here's the thing, I don't want just another cover that looks like all the other action thriller covers on the shelves. Red letters, gritty textures, explosions, guns, etc etc etc.

I really like clean and minimalist stuff. The packaging of Apple or Olight products is my favorite for all those reasons, so I want to try and emulate that. I feel it's a fresh departure from cliché.

The trick is combining the two. Minimalist and clean action/adventure/thriller cover? Tricky tricky...

Maybe some lightning would do the trick?
XS DP Cover TC.jpg

Taylor

Friends of WF
Here's the thing, I don't want just another cover that looks like all the other action thriller covers on the shelves. Red letters, gritty textures, explosions, guns, etc etc etc.

I really like clean and minimalist stuff. The packaging of Apple or Olight products is my favorite for all those reasons, so I want to try and emulate that. I feel it's a fresh departure from cliché.

The trick is combining the two. Minimalist and clean action/adventure/thriller cover? Tricky tricky...

Maybe some lightning would do the trick?
View attachment 25986

I'm loving that! I agree on not liking cliche. This definitely works for me. But it does lead me to think your story has some sort of technical aspects. Something with computers or space or something scientific, like a laboratory setting.

Twisted Head

I like the one with the breaking glass. However, the lettering needs to have a black bar that's just a bit longer and a bit taller behind each each group of text so they stand out.

Lee Messer

I like the broken glass. You should emphasize it somehow. Maybe put an unseen but bright light source behind it so the glass refracts at the observer against the contrast of the darkness. That would catch me. What are the letters? Some sort of cryptograph... a code? I can barely see them.

Users who are viewing this thread