Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"Tooth" as a nickname/petname (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annissarh

Hello writers :welcome:

Soo I have this rogish, sailor character that's been using the nickname "tooth" or "little tooth" to call a young character who's small and shy and overall cute. I wonder if it sounds pretty, appropriate or original.

I don't know how it came to me to use "tooth" as a petname, I just thought it sounded rather cute and small a word in itself.

But since I never came across such petname, I hoped to get some thoughts!
(Other detail, the young character is always clad in white. But I only thought of that coinsidence later, soo perhaps it helps. I just hope it's not too weird.)

Example : "Hey, tooth, need help with that?"

Thank you for your help :star::star:

Reactions: PiP

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
It's not too weird. It IS the sort of inconsequential detail writers will obsess over, though. LOL

annissarh

DEFINETLY haha. Because my native tongue is not english, I tend to question any original or personal endavors we shall say.

Matchu

I have problems with 'tooth' due to up-bringing where I say 'teath' rather than the usual 'twothe.' It's the minorest [sp] of flaws in my perfection.

As to nick-names? I had a disagreement with a drongo on another 'place.'

His position was that a muscular chap would be called 'Muscles Johnson' for example, whereas real-life, I said, would have him known as 'Matchstick Johnson.' Just saying, that is how it works. He wouldn't accept my 'wisdom.'

Matchu

You'd never believe the dictionary def. of 'tootsie.' [calm down, man]...think macintosh, bigoted v, crime pulp fiction 1964, & rain...she war a sweet tootsie turning tricks on the intersection of highway & fourth [approximation of American]

*American streets/blocks are difficult...

'About 3 blocks?'

'Heh...neh?'

v_krelig

Could "Baby Tooth" work? The young character could possibly lost his last tooth and the rogish one could use it as an excuse to call the that. Or the younger character could have a gap and tried to explain it away in some awkward way, or he could have lost an adult tooth and tried to pass it off as a baby tooth.

annissarh

It's a roguish, laid-back pirate-like character that likes to give nicknames to people. He didn't earn the nickname per say. Rather his behavior and looks inspired it? The young one (13old) is fair and very demure. He's also dressed in attention-grabbing white for what it's worth. (white coat, white boots). Little Tooth came to me like Little Bean would, I guess.

(Might help to also point out that it's a medieval-type era)

annissarh

Could "Baby Tooth" work? The young character could possibly lost his last tooth and the rogish one could use it as an excuse to call the that. Or the younger character could have a gap and tried to explain it away in some awkward way, or he could have lost an adult tooth and tried to pass it off as a baby tooth.

Oh that's well-thought. Alas, the young one isn't that young for such scenario haha. (13 years old) and he rather have perfect teeth haha. No gap or particularity in that departement. He calls him Little Tooth sometimes and I retain 'baby' for when he alternate with 'Baby Chick' for when the roguish character is in an endaring or sarcastic mood :)

Thank you for your in-put though! made me ponder other things...

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
'Tooth' is fine, we are writers and so all sorts of stuff comes to mind, my reaction was 'Does he have a sweet tooth?', but that's writers for you. I reckon that your average reader will accept what you tell them, the character gives nicknames and this kid is called Tooth, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.