Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

To Kill A Mockingbird (1 Viewer)

Craigy

We're being assigned to read this over Thanksgiving weekend. I know very little about this book and was wondering what to expect? Is it dry and daunting? Gimme a quick run-down of the story please.

I had to read Jane Eyre last year and it almost killed me. I'm a fan of classics though. I loved The Lord of the Flies and I enjoyed Shakespeare.

O

omalle89

to kill a mockingbird is a great book. dont be intimidated by the fact its a classic, its intresting and intriguing, youll be surprised how you wont want to put it down.

Cearo

It's a really good book. It's set in the 1930s. The main character is Scout, a little girl and is told from her viewpoint. The town is full of eccentric characters. I read it all the time when I can get a hold of it.

Winged Sandals

I love that book to death! There are wonderful characters and the story is mostly lighthearted, but with some very serious undertones. I was a bit worried about it at first too (especially since the first few pages are pretty tedious), but by the second chapter things start moving and it's hard to put it down.

Aeris

I wouldn't say that its the greatest book, but I sat down and read it in one sitting. So its nothing like Atlas Shrugged. You shouldn't worry at all, in fact you'll probably like it.

Mr. Blix

You guys are going to kill me, but I just started reading this and I'm 28. Somehow I went through highschool and we never had to read it. Then on to college and I was a damn English major and I still hadn't read it. Although, to my credit I've read a lot of 18th century literature that hardly anyone has ever heard of. heh. Anyway, I was tired of my secret shame so I picked it up the other day.

rocky

This is in my opinion the GREATEST American Book ever written. I could loose money over this, but I think it would definately make the Top 3.

When my daughters were younger, we had arabian horses. We had a filly named Scout and a colt named Atticus, and at some point in our lives, we have had a cat named Bo Radley, a fish named Jem, and a hamster named Calpernia (sp ck.)
That book is a true classic.

Aurasheild

Loved the book, as it gave a realistic insight to things back then, but it was still funny and exciting, i choose this book to do for my J.C and still love reading a chapter or two now and then. :)

JK_Wannabe

I wouldn't know. I could barely make it past the first page before I said, "Yeah, this sucks." I think it may have been assigned for school but it was so boring I didn't even bother. I was a goody-goody too, so that's saying something. :shock:

It has that rare achievment of being able to tell a story through the lighthearted eyes of a child and yet still be hard-hitting. I love it to pieces so enjoy. May I also recommend 'The Little Friend' by Donna Tartt? It's got a similar setting and focusses on two children as the main characters and is beautifully written!

elizabeth_472

Oh, I am so sorry Jane Eyre killed you. I just finished it and found that it is one of my favorite books of all time!

Anyways, To Kill a Mockingbird is also one of my favorite books! I chose to read it for a history project and 2 months later I was assigned to read it for an English project. I read it twice in a row and found I loved it even more after the second time I read it! Since you posted in November and it is now June, assuming you've finished it by now, tell us what you thought?

Johnna

To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time. :) (I named my kitty cat Atticus.) The story's so powerful, and I love that Scout's point of view shows this without being too overwhelming. My favorite part is Jem's reaction to the whole court case and how it affects (effects?) him.

Voodoo

oh, I just remembered one of the admins of this other forum is named Jem.

he should hand over power.