Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

To Kill a Mocking Bird (1 Viewer)

Drzava

Everyone says something to that accord "Well I feel sorry for you"

WHY!?!? That book was awful. I feel sorry for anyone that liked that tripe!

Hodge

pliable
What is so wrong with that book? Honestly... If you're going to slam it, at least say why!

Hodge

pliable
Maybe that was the point. To show how humans—who are supposedly granted free will—will never sway from what the majority holds to be true, even if they know in their hearts that it is wrong.

Or maybe it's about how one man is powerless, despite what we're told as we grow up.

It's not redundant.

Heid

We had to study it when I was in highschool but despite that, I kind of enjoyed reading it. At least it wasn't Shakespeare :)

I agree that the book was good, but I viewed it as more optimistic than pessimistic. I thought Atticus showed how one person can make a difference, even though it may not seem like it at the time.

theCloudsTears

Dooga Aetrus Blackrazor said:
I thought Atticus showed how one person can make a difference, even though it may not seem like it at the time.

Thats an interesting way of looking at it. =O) I like your view.

PaPa

I read the book for the first time just a few weeks ago, and I found it very different to my expectations. Everyone speaks of To Kill a Mocking Bird as being predominatly concerned with the court case and matters of race, and yet there is a huge amount in the book that has relevance to neither of these. When reading it, I saw the court case less as the centrepiece of the book, and more as just "something that happened", as part of the narrative.

Whilst it is undoubted that Harper Lee intended the book as an indictment of Southern racism, I found it odd just how focused people had become on that aspect of it. To draw a very strange comparison, before reading 2001: A Space Oddysey I was given to understand that is predominantly concerned with the homicidal computer Hal - yet when I read it the machinations of Hal were given remarkably short shrift. The part of the book that everyone always talks about had left me unprepared for the idea that anything else happened at all, and I felt the same way with To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Just my meditations on the subject.

E

EchoDove

This is making me want to read it. I have to next year and have heard a lot about it. Most people I know loved it.

theCloudsTears

I found it an enjoyable book. It is very different than the normal genre I enjoy reading. But you can't make your teacher choose something else.

rocky

:eek: :eek: TO KILL A MICKINGBIRD IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME!!!

IT'S CERTAINLY THE BEST I'VE READ OR WILL EVER READ....HARPER LEE IS A CLEAR GENIUS! :wink: