Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Title (!) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omits

I am writing a Sci-Fi novel set in the near future where friendly Aliens visit (an Arrival theme of course). For the life of me I can't think of a title so have called it "Purple Fruit'.

I would be interested what other think this conjures up to them.

PS, to me a title with the idea of 'Arrival' would conjure up expectations that the novel may not deliver on considering recent films on the subject.

Any feedback most welcome. thanks.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
“Purple Fruit” - I find it intriguing, as long as the eponymous foodstuffs makes an appearance.

Omits

“Purple Fruit” - I find it intriguing, as long as the eponymous foodstuffs makes an appearance.

They do, they do! It's a reference to the colour of Alien blood. But I'll probably never finish the story so needed something to go along with. It's sort of a good idea to try a title early on and then see if it works. But then, I'm a bit haphazard in a way.

BabesJJ

I read this book called Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown totally not the same theme of book. The title Purple Fruit reminded me of that title. I love titles that are incongruent or incompatible things together making kind of a third meaning. Like for instance Celestial Clockwork for Clockwork Orange or A Bullet With Butterfly wings. The Purplefruit Welcome Committee. The Purplefruit Extraterrestrials. The Purplefruit Sky. Purplefruit Guests. Purplefruit Friendship. My only thought is make Purplefruit one word and add something else like Rubyfruit Jungle.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I wouldn't worry about the title yet, I'd concentrate on writing the story first, as someone else pointed out. My own story title changed three times and that wasn't a conscious decision, it was a natural occurrence from writing the story. The Broken Swan > The Broken Tulip > The Glass Tulip. It morphed because of the subtle changes I made to the story as I went along. You'll find the same thing happening. Having a placeholder name that has some relevance to the story is a good thing though. If 'Purple Fruit' has some relevance to you then keep it. If it doesn't, think up another placeholder.

BabesJJ

Half the fun of having the baby novel is to name the baby novel. And I read someplace that every mother firmly decided on at least 3 names during the process. With our son we thought of Jeremy (Jem) couldn't use it because I had an old boyfriend named that who was retired English Royal Navy. And also the best man at our wedding later when we got pregnant thought it was too religious sounding like Jerimiah. But that was my husbands first choice. I liked Remy. And Andre. I now wish we had picked Henry. I love that name now. We named him a name I won't use here because of privacy reasons but here I will refer to our kidddo as Henry. In fact it is the name of the character in my book. I am from Wisconsin but now live and hour from Paris in this old rambling farmhouse. And I just went to the grocery store to get things for a fun lunch at home. I got fresh bread. And dried sausage like salami camberbret chees, light herb cheese, smoked trout and 4 pears for a tarte this afternoon. And all for like 7 euro about 10 dollars. And the reason I mention it is that while I was at the grocery store I thought of the best name.

Purplefruit Rhapsody-I had visions of the friendly alien welcoming party writing a special song of so happy to meet you.

Anyway for me titles and playing with titles are the joys of writing.

Backstroke_Italics

Things I have done in the past BEFORE finalizing the title of a book:

written the book
hired a cover artist
started over after getting feedback from beta readers
solicited reviews
brainstormed who would star in the movie

The ideal time to come up with a title for your book is ten minutes before the machines start printing. Don't stress about it.

Omits

Well you've all opened up for me the world of book titles and how they work. I like the idea of a single word title and make it more obvious as the story goes. These aliens represent what could be good about mankind if we could all work together. I fear I have taken on too much so I will have to downplay a theme like that and hopefully leave the reader to their own thoughts.I'm not sure I've even got the main theme clear in my head yet but again, maybe the light will go on soon. It's unlikely to get published though as this is just a hobby in retirement :nonchalance:.

Status
Not open for further replies.