Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Time away from your WIP (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robdemanc

I have had some time out from writing, I turned my head to writing software instead, as well as reading several Stephen King books. Recently I came back and did some more writing and think I can see an improvement. However, I wonder if these improvements are simply cyclical, and have nothing to do with the time out.

Do you think having time away, like several months, is a good thing? I think I may have gained some perspective but I don't know how much yet.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
However, I wonder if these improvements are simply cyclical, and have nothing to do with the time out.

I'd lean toward this. I find my good writing happens when I'm excited about what I'm writing. How consistent or inconsistent I've been has nothing to do with it.

squidtender

Space Lord
Patron
The only time I step away from my WIP is when I finish the first draft. I take two weeks off and then start my edits. It took me just a few days over a year to finish the first draft, and I never go back to do any edits until the first draft is done. So, when I start my rewrites, it's been a year since I've seen those chapters and it's like reading it with a fresh set of eyes. In that year I've learned more about writing (thank you WF), read a dozen novels and I really think that's as good as walking away from the story completely.

FleshEater

WF Veterans
Squidtender your passion and dedication is daunting and comendable; I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your writing. That is commitment.

Robdemanc; Stephen King once suggested to write something and toss it in a drawer for a few months without thinking about it...when you come back you'll be ready to tackle it again.

Everyone is different in this aspect. I lift weights as a dedicated hobby and have learned over the years the importance of time off. The brain in its simplest form is a muscle; I personally feel, for me, that a break every so often is a must. During that break I relax and do not concern myself with my works. Sometimes even a weekend not thinking about it opens the flood gates for fresh creativity.

Robdemanc

Well I have just written a new first chapter to stick at the front of it, I am aching to find a decent way into this bizarre saga I have developed over the last 3 years. I am thinking very deeply about the characters and what life is like for them.

Flesheater - I spent many years doing bodybuilding and although was pleased with my commitment to it I have had the last year or so off it. Starting to go soft now so will get back soon.

Stephen King writes every day he says and I am sure he has many manuscripts stashed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.