Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Thoughts in my premise (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
After going through a tragic childhood, Nathaniel Vandell, a male high school student, gains the power to consume people's sadness. He uses his power when people come to him with their problems in order to create a world where no one is hurt.

I like the premise a lot. But how long before his own sadness consumes him? He can't possibly keep up with demand ;)

JJBuchholz

After going through a tragic childhood, Nathaniel Vandell, a male high school student, gains the power to
consume people's sadness. He uses his power when people come to him with their problems in order to create a world where no one is hurt.

Interesting, except I'd like to know what he does with the sadness as it accumulates. If he just stores it, the sadness will consume him.

-JJB

druid12000

There's a Buddhist practice called 'Tonglen', which translates (loosely) to sending and receiving. Simplified, it entails drawing in the hurt or negativity of someone by breathing it in, 'processing' it, and breathing out positive energy to the person..

Maybe something to research. I've tried it and it's very difficult. If you're filled with pain, it's like pouring into an already overflowing cup.

Reiki is another practice to check into, though I think it deals more with physical ailments. It's essentially distance healing.

Sounds like a great premise! I would certainly read it.

Bahtiyor

As he consumes more and more sadness from people, he starts to have heart problems, trouble sleeping, eating disorder, fatigue, etc, but he hides from others to not worry them. He sacrifices his own happiness and health for the sake of others. I'm thinking of making a novel series and the mc's suffering gets progressively worse.

druid12000

As he consumes more and more sadness from people, he starts to have heart problems, trouble sleeping, eating disorder, fatigue, etc, but he hides from others to not worry them. He sacrifices his own happiness and health for the sake of others. I'm thinking of making a novel series and the mc's suffering gets progressively worse.

What happens with the folks he absorbs from? Is there some fundamental change in them that makes them better able to process sadness in the future, or do they continue to generate (like we all do)?

Crooked Bird

Interesting, except I'd like to know what he does with the sadness as it accumulates. If he just stores it, the sadness will consume him.

-JJB

This is exactly what I want to know too. And please make it good! Because that'll make the story, it'll create the conflict. If he has this power and can do it infinitely with no ill effects, we have paradise and no story. (UNLESS you're doing a thing about how we wouldn't be human without sadness, that's also interesting.) But if he can't, we have conflict and therefore choices and story. It's a great place to start anyhow & I'm intrigued.

Bahtiyor

Thank you for taking an interest of my work. I'm forward for you reading it. But yea, don't you fret. Using his powers does have ill effects on the MC (trying not to give away too much) I would say that he lets himself consume the sadness from others for the sake of others, but the question is: How much can he handle? Where is his breaking point? Hopefully, I won't lose your interest when I eventually finish my work.

I'm wondering whether I should expand the story into a novel series or shove all of the plot into one novel. Your opinion would be appreciated.

JJBuchholz

As he consumes more and more sadness from people, he starts to have heart problems, trouble sleeping,
eating disorder, fatigue, etc, but he hides from others to not worry them. He sacrifices his own happiness and health for the sake of others.

So, the sadness permeates in the form of his own health deteriorating badly? Is there no way for him to find an outlet for all of that
sadness? Perhaps something he has found through his own trials and tribulations that can act as a 'lightning rod' so to speak?

-JJB

Bahtiyor

So, the sadness permeates in the form of his own health deteriorating badly? Is there no way for him to find an outlet for all of that
sadness? Perhaps something he has found through his own trials and tribulations that can act as a 'lightning rod' so to speak?

-JJB

Wouldn't it be a boring story if the MC finds a 'lightning rod'? He would use it infinitely and the world would consist of no sadness. To me, it would be uninteresting. However, there is a way to remove the sadness from his heart (may or may not be what you would think) Without giving away too much, the MC would learn to not to use his powers infinitely because of reasons.

JJBuchholz

Wouldn't it be a boring story if the MC finds a 'lightning rod'? He would use it infinitely and the world
would consist of no sadness.

Not necessarily. The 'lightning rod' per se could only be used under certain circumstances, say if the MC met some kid of criteria
that would allow him to alleviate most of the pain he accumulated, and only moments before it destroys him. A caveat for being
able to use the power that he wields.

-JJB

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
After going through a tragic childhood, Nathaniel Vandell, a male high school student, gains the power to consume people's sadness. He uses his power when people come to him with their problems in order to create a world where no one is hurt.

That looks like an excellent basic premise for a story. It needs adding to but I love the initial thoughts on it.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Captain Kirk to Sybock in the Final Frontier: 'I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain! These are the things that make us who we are...' It is an intergeral part of life because without sadness, that sense of loss things fall horrifically out of balance. We lose perspective and appreciation for those moments of happiness and contentment. We understand sadness for a reason. It tempers life and keeps us grounded in reality. Consider the unease that a person trapped in a manic state induces in those around them. In some cases it seems like madness and it can be terrifying.

Sadness, anger...failure. These are the roots of resilience, a source of purpose, and a driving force in making life worthwhile. Just like the pain receptors in our nerves, it is there for a reason. Trying to eradicate the emotion without confronting and reconciling its source is dangerous. It will lead to a compounding cycle of denial and a need for greater (emotional) stimulation, like an adrenaline junky seeking a bigger fix.

Take a look at people who were born without the ability to sense physical pain...the results are dangerous because the checks and balances were never installed.

It is an interesting concept, but the emotional imbalance and fallout will have profound consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.