Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

This is My Toe in the Water (1 Viewer)

rnorris88

Hi,

My name is Becky Norris, I'm 36 years old from Arkansas, wife and mom of two, and studying to become a veterinary technician. I've written off and on for years, mostly journaling, and have been trying for weeks to get the courage to actually WRITE every day. I've avoided it so hard, thinking it would be easier to just not start at all. But like running, writing has to be a daily regimen. This comparison doesn't help me much, because I hate running too! It's not that I'm afraid of writing badly, I know that's part of it. I think I'm afraid of disgusting myself with whatever crap comes out of it.

So instead of sticking my head in the sand, I stick my head in my vet tech textbook. But, memorizing feline and canine vaccine schedules isn't going to move the writing thing forward. So instead, I'm reaching out in hopes that it won't seem so scary. That even if all I do is write utter crap, at least I'm doing it. I always tell people that when it comes to art or music or anything, it doesn't matter if you're good at it, but if you enjoy it. Time to take my own advice, eh?

So in the future I hope to come out with more creative nonfiction, a smattering of poetry, and I might get crazy and post a short story or something. In the meantime, I've got a big pot of gumbo simmering on the stove, and a glass of wine calling my name. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My wife and I volunteer at a cat rescue place… we often foster ‘the littles’ and some have stayed with us forever. We have 6 cats and 2 dogs, and greatly appreciate our local veterinarian. Good for you, going into that field will help a lot of pure and innocent souls.

Writing, like everything we do in life improves with practice. It’s art, there is no right or wrong, we simply do the best we can at the time and constantly work to improve.

You’re on the right track, writing every day builds discipline and improves your abilities. Try writing short stories at first, a blog, then when you think you’re ready strike out on a longer journey.

You’re in a good place. People here are very supportive.