Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Things You Used To Do But Stopped And Wished You Hadn't (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Something crossed my mind that I used to do when I first started writing and try as I might, I can't allow myself to do it any more. When I was trying to improve my vocabulary 'many moons ago' (gotta get one cliche in right?) I would often artificially inject a word into ANYTHING I was writing. It didn't matter what it was, I'd stick it into a paragraph. For a very long time the words 'ablutions' and 'detritus' popped into my work. The thing is though, in order to justify their inclusion, I had to force myself to add in character traits and change the mood of the piece. There's the rub! Sometimes, just including words for the sake of it, actually added new dimensions and got me through sticky moments, often leading to pages and pages of content I had no intention of writing. ALL because I forced myself to put in a word. Sometimes, quite often in fact, I'd lose that word in the edits but what it inspired me to write was still there.

Turnbull

That's an interesting idea. I think that would work with certain types of writers more than others, but interesting.

Frankly I just wish I was more motivated. I got a new job that takes up a lot of my time, so now I have to be more economic with my time, but I just wish I had the energy I had back in the day when I was just writing Starcraft fanfiction.

TL Murphy

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
I used to write more in stream of consciousness , which sometimes turned into rambles or rants. As I struggled to gain more control over my poetry, I sometimes miss the wild abandon of SOC. Much of it was crap and got thrown out but it often led to very energetic poetry and I miss that. I don't know if I ll ever get it back or even if I should. I also miss playing the guitar... and basketball.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I used to draw a lot and went to a vocational school for digital art and design even though I was more of a traditional artist. I didn't completely drop it like I did the writing but I could be a lot more skilled if I continued at the rate I started as a kid. I got programs similar to the ones I used at school 4/5 years ago. I have been focusing on my writing so I haven't been messing with that. But something I plan to do once I take a break from my "completed" work. The next YA I want to write, I want to insert some artwork throughout.
Starting my writing journey reminds me of my art journey when I was in the 6th grade. Joyful, accomplished but also frustrating and disheartening at times. Starting at the bottom again and working my way up brings me back to how I use to feel about drawing.

Riptide

WF Veterans
Write without wifi, because we only had a physical connection to the modem back when I was a kid and I didn't like anyone seeing what I was doing. So, I'd type, type away for hours pocketed on the couch without checking things like writing forums or social media. I finished two 55k novellas that way within a year during high school. It was great. The writing sucked, but I was on a writing frenzy. Can barely maintain a 1k momentum nowadays.

Riptide

WF Veterans
I am paranoid about not repeating myself, and that started on day one, so if I say lost the next time I'll say mislaid then misplaced...
I do this too. And I hate that I check for it when critiquing too. I'll be like: Oh... you sure you want to use 'confused'? You used that on page 1 of the manuscript... sure, we're on page 7 now, but...

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I am paranoid about not repeating myself, and that started on day one, so if I say lost the next time I'll say mislaid then misplaced...
LOL. I'm currently doing that. I'm in a desert and there's sand ... sand ... sand ... desert ... sand. I need a metaphor badly here!

Status
Not open for further replies.