Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

There Is A Dragon In My Land (1 Viewer)

stony

There is a dragon in my land.
Who waits within some darkened cave,
Upon a throne, a tacit grave,
A mountain osseous and dour,
A seat on which he will expand,
With frames of those he will devour.

There is a dragon in my land.
Who caught my scent upon a breeze,
And set in him a harsh disease,
The cure which sits within my flesh,
A taste to be his perfect brand,
Pursued 'til in his teeth enmeshed.

I could give in to trepid way,
And cower in a tunnel glum,
Become his ever-hunted prey,
Until he has what he demands,
My bones to rattle on his throne...
But I've a dragon in my land,
Who soon shall hear my fury drum,
As I invade his evil home,
And on my blood this oath I give,
I shall not let that dragon live.

2020Syd2020

Hello,

I like this a lot, it has a proper Arthurian feel to it, moreover I also read a little bit of what’s currently happening to us all into it, I think the references to breeze and disease have rightly or wrongly led me to that. I think the rhythm and rhyme is well crafted and works to lead the reader through S1 and S2.

However, for the sake of consistency I can’t help wish that you had written another two lines so that you then had four even stanzas overall. Beyond the aesthetic appeal of this I feel that the alteration to rhyme scheme in S3 as it currently stands feels a little awkward and out of place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Syd

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
I like what Syd said there. You could alternatively add a white line here:
My bones to rattle on his throne...

But I've a dragon in my land,
You'd have two 6, 6 line stanzas and two 5, 5 line stanzas, and every stanza starts with that dragon (except for the third) :)

stony

Thanks, Syd. I'm glad you enjoyed it. When I wrote it, I had in mind a metaphor of dragon being anything in ones life which threatens to destroy a person. A vice, addiction, or flaw they need to conquer before it devours them. I meant S3 to be different from the first two because S1 and S2 are both a description of the enemy and S3 is a consideration of how to handle it. Ultimately resolving to slay it rather than succumbing to it. I'll definitely give your suggestions some thought though. I definitely appreciate them!

-stony