Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Writer & The Artist Within (1 Viewer)

C

cafka

The writer is a creator of beautiful things. He is a pruveyor of what's good in the world and also what's evil lurking within it. The writer is an artist, just as the artist resides within the writer. Like a mathematician who delves in the study of numbers to bring abut logic in an ever-dynamic universe, the writer's tool resides in his words. But therein lies a difference: the writer never strives to search for logic, because he knows that finding logic in a dynamic world is more like searching for the resting place of Pandora's Box. It would be a pure waste of time. Rather than find the truth, the writer is only interested in searching for it. There is always a thin line between what's truth and what's a lie. It is within this thin line that the writer is most effective.
Imagine what it would be, burying your head into the secrets of Finnegan's Wake; walking alongside The Invincible Man; raising your voice to The Song Of Solomon; lost and all alone in the of The Lord Of The Flies; walking through the merry streets of London alonside Mrs. Dalloway; investigating the backwoods of Deliverance, only to ressurect out into The Heart Of Darkness; knowing fully well that Things Fall Apart just as it is hopeless waiting for The English Patient.
The writer is a mere mortal; it is the artist residing within him that lives forever. The writer doesn't write; it is the artist that does all the writing, the writer is merely the conduct through which the words flow. In the end, the written word lives forever, whereas the writer grows old and dies and is soon forgotten.
All writing is Art; just as in the end, all writting is useless.

8)

mammamaia

needs a good proofread for wrong words, grammar goofs, misspellings and the like, as well as needing paragraph separation... indents don't work in posts, so you must insert line breaks, instead... and i'd strongly suggest cutting down on the number of semicolons...

i can't stand reading stuff all in a block like that, so only skimmed it, but it could have potential as an opinion piece, if given the attention it needs and expanded upon a bit...

take a look at the essay titled, 'worlds without end' on my site, for a somewhat similar take on the writer's art... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=161

love and hugs, maia

Last edited:
C

cafka

I know it still needs some re-work, I was in a hurry when I wrote it down here and I don't even have a copy of it.

mammamaia

sure you do!... a copy is right here... just copy/paste it into a document, then you can work on it off the board and replace the orginal or add the revision in a post below...

C

cafka

I'm even thinking of adding a bit more to the work ... it's just a collection of thoughts, more like what Oscar Wilde would've written down in his time.

pljames

The writer and artist within

Excellent post, but a new writers passion comes first then the artist within after expierence in writing. Whats logical for one writer may not be with another. One writers truth may not be my truth...as I see it. I now understand the term "know your audience". Again,whats your perspective on the word "art"?

There are many pieces in a museum and each piece has its own personal style. Most artist's want to be remembered for there contribution in writing, be it journalism or fiction. In artistry there are many artist's but few writers and some artist have lost there first love, the joy of just writing and not perfection of there craft.
pljames

cafka said:
The writer is a creator of beautiful things. He is a pruveyor of what's good in the world and also what's evil lurking within it. The writer is an artist, just as the artist resides within the writer. Like a mathematician who delves in the study of numbers to bring abut logic in an ever-dynamic universe, the writer's tool resides in his words. But therein lies a difference: the writer never strives to search for logic, because he knows that finding logic in a dynamic world is more like searching for the resting place of Pandora's Box. It would be a pure waste of time. Rather than find the truth, the writer is only interested in searching for it. There is always a thin line between what's truth and what's a lie. It is within this thin line that the writer is most effective.
Imagine what it would be, burying your head into the secrets of Finnegan's Wake; walking alongside The Invincible Man; raising your voice to The Song Of Solomon; lost and all alone in the of The Lord Of The Flies; walking through the merry streets of London alonside Mrs. Dalloway; investigating the backwoods of Deliverance, only to ressurect out into The Heart Of Darkness; knowing fully well that Things Fall Apart just as it is hopeless waiting for The English Patient.
The writer is a mere mortal; it is the artist residing within him that lives forever. The writer doesn't write; it is the artist that does all the writing, the writer is merely the conduct through which the words flow. In the end, the written word lives forever, whereas the writer grows old and dies and is soon forgotten.
All writing is Art; just as in the end, all writting is useless.

8)