Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Worst Author you ever heard of! Tell us all! (1 Viewer)

Shadeslayer

Senior Member
Personally, the worst author I think there is, is Piers Anthony. Very, very horrid author. I dislike his writing style, and his attempt at writing a new world of fantasy. Its boring, and he needs more funnish parts in it. Sometimes his stories even seem fake to me.

Though whatever,
What's your worst author in opinion?
 

D4rk_3|f

Senior Member
Brian Jaques does rock big time you are right!!!

Hmmmm...worst author...Stephen king...Stuffs around too much and takes too long to get into a story...Eg Cujo
 

Talia_Brie

Senior Member
Shadeslayer said:
Terry Goodkind is cool! I love his books!

I think we've had that discussion elsewhere :lol:

D4rk_3|f, I can'tbelieve you don't like Stephen King. He only wrote the scariest book of all time (The Shining), and the best fantasy series of all time (The Dark Tower). What more do you want???? :lol:
 

D4rk_3|f

Senior Member
havent read the dark tower. I wanted to but havent had a chance to get it. IT was good but I started to read Cujo the other day and after the first 3 chapters i out it away as there was nothing there
 

Shadeslayer

Senior Member
Stephen King's cool and everything, and I do like his books, though there all usually...err...a bit strange for my taste. I love dark and scary stories, things like Poe, though King is a bit over the top. However, he knows how to keep us an edge so he can scare us. Sadly though, his movies are badly made.
 

River1034

Senior Member
King rules, and why would you want to put down another author rather than talk about authors you really like and can improve from by reading?
-River
(in a bad mood, sorry)
 

DL Ferguson

Senior Member
Piers Anthony's earlier books were excellent if you like straight up and down, no nonsense SF/Adventure. Pick up the "Battlecircle" series or "The Incarnations Of Immortality" series. That's when Anthony was at his best and rivaled Roger Zelazny for the imaginative scope and number of fascinating concepts/ideas he packed into every book. Of course, later on he started thinking he was a standup comic and started cranking out those hideous "Xanth" books every other month and I stopped reading him.

I worship at the alter of Stephen King myself but even his die-hardiest fans admit he wrote some real clunkers. "Insomnia" is probably his most aptly named book since it can readily induce that state and nobody jumps up to mention "Rose Madder" "Needful Things" or "Gerald's Game" when they're asked what their favorite King novel is.

I don't think there's any one writer you can point at and say is the worst but I can't get past page 50 of any Robert Jordan book I started and that guy who writes The Thomas Covenant series is also snooze inducing.
 

Talia_Brie

Senior Member
DL Ferguson said:
I worship at the alter of Stephen King myself but even his die-hardiest fans admit he wrote some real clunkers. "Insomnia" is probably his most aptly named book since it can readily induce that state and nobody jumps up to mention "Rose Madder" "Needful Things" or "Gerald's Game" when they're asked what their favorite King novel is.

Or the Tommyknockers, or Pet Semetary for that matter.

But, The Dead Zone, The Stand, Carrie, Salem's Lot, It, Misery, The Shining, Dreamcatcher, The Dark Tower books, Black House, The Talisman, Desperation, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis, Different Seasons, Christine, On Writing. . . That's a long list of brilliant books.
 

DL Ferguson

Senior Member
Talia_Brie said:
DL Ferguson said:
I worship at the alter of Stephen King myself but even his die-hardiest fans admit he wrote some real clunkers. "Insomnia" is probably his most aptly named book since it can readily induce that state and nobody jumps up to mention "Rose Madder" "Needful Things" or "Gerald's Game" when they're asked what their favorite King novel is.

Or the Tommyknockers, or Pet Semetary for that matter.

But, The Dead Zone, The Stand, Carrie, Salem's Lot, It, Misery, The Shining, Dreamcatcher, The Dark Tower books, Black House, The Talisman, Desperation, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis, Different Seasons, Christine, On Writing. . . That's a long list of brilliant books.


Oh, no doubt about it. I know I would have given up my left leg gladly to have written THE STAND and most writers would have made a career out of THE SHINING or IT. King's place in writing history is assured and not just in the horror/suspense genre. I think he's comfortably proven he's transcended that genre and more than proven that he's a WRITER, period.
And a lot of times even his clunkers are still more readable than most of the other stuff being shoveled onto the bookshelves.

The only real problem I have with King that some of his books run on too damn long for no reason at all and once he climbed to the top of the pyramid, I suspect that he got his way and had his books published the way he wanted, full-length and un-cut which is not necessarily a good thing. INSOMNIA could have been cut by half and GERALD'S GAME was really a novella on steroids.

Sure, sure, people scream and hollar that they want the books the way the writer intended for them to be presented and anything else is censorship but hey, there IS a reason for editors and overwritten books is one of them. C'mon, all the King fans out there...how many times have you reread INSOMNIA or THE TOMMYKNOCKERS as opposed to how many times you've reread 'SALEM'S LOT or any one of the DARK TOWER books?
 

Shadeslayer

Senior Member
I'm sorry, but Piers Anthony isn't as good an author as he use to be. His last few books known as Xanth series were so bad, I couldn't stand them. He made up these stupid creatures and everything in the series seemed so totally fake and badly made. I'll agree however, that when he first came into existence, his Battlecircle series were pretty good, but ever since he wrote the Xanth series, its just turned horrible! But, don't mind me. Heheh....
 

Talia_Brie

Senior Member
Shadeslayer said:
I'm sorry, but Piers Anthony isn't as good an author as he use to be. His last few books known as Xanth series were so bad, I couldn't stand them. He made up these stupid creatures and everything in the series seemed so totally fake and badly made. I'll agree however, that when he first came into existence, his Battlecircle series were pretty good, but ever since he wrote the Xanth series, its just turned horrible! But, don't mind me. Heheh....

I think that's exactly what Ferguson was saying. He started off well, but his latest books have been crap. I read one of the Incanations of Imortality books (the one about Death), and I thought it was an excellent idea that was done well. But I haven't read anythign else of his, so I can't make any further comment.
 

demonic_harmonic

Senior Member
*soapbox*


unless you have read all of kings stories, along with the dark tower series, and understand why his books are why they are...then just ... dont bother saying they are bad lol. its so amazing...when they just...go...like they do...
 

brockDXD

Senior Member
Ive read lots of King, and really enjoy reading them, but my question is this - i have never been too keen to read a Dark tower book, probably because it is a 'fantasy' and im not really into that. I was wondering if anybody else was skeptical, but then found the series good or great even? If this is the case i might hve to grab myself part one and start reading.
 
Top